PDA

View Full Version : #$*&$$^%*^ Ignition Swich

Ross
06-30-2006, 09:58 PM
Seems there was something about this recently,my probably clumsy search yielded no results though.
'95 525it The key turns the ign. switch but nothing, steering still locked,shifter also locked. It acts as if key is off.
When the key is removed with the door open the "key in ign." message appears with the chime.
Turning the lock is stiff now near the off/lock position.
The past few days there has been an occasional momentary delay when starting the car.
Would someone please refresh me as to the recent thread about ignition switches.
I'm illegally parked in front of a clients home who is quite understanding but I expect less compassion from the local gendarmerie.

Ross
06-30-2006, 11:09 PM
Anyone?

Bill R.
06-30-2006, 11:14 PM
ignition switch has sheared. You can remove the keylock tumber portion like thishttp://www.bimmernut.com/%7Ebillr/images/Ignition.jpg
But you typically have to remove the steering column covers to get at the ignition switch and the rest of the lock itself.

Anyone?

Ross
06-30-2006, 11:33 PM
Thanks Bill. This seems to be what I remembered seeing. I trie removing the cyl. this way but with too large a pin.
Is their a replacement parrt for me to order or is it the whole lock?
This is the reward I get for giving it new shoes. A couple grand spent doing all the usual and today a new hood badge to celebrate.

Kalevera
07-01-2006, 12:44 AM
You can order a coded cylinder from the dealer...shouldn't be too expensive.

Pulling ignition cylinders is an art. Don't get discouraged if it takes a few days to figure it out. I use a straightened paper clip with a slightly turned up end (a few degrees, nothing more needed), which I find to be more effective than the factory tool. The general rule of thumb is 60 degrees from the key in position, but if the cylinder's completely freewheeling....welll that's the tricky part --

Here's the tricky part: when they get REALLY bad (totally freewheeling), the ignition lock itself is usually trash because it can't be turned to the spot where the cylinder can be released. The lock (generally described as the entire assembly) is aluminum, with two shear screws and a circlip holding it to the top of the steering column. When the steering lock is engaged, it has to be cut from the column (I've used an air cutoff wheel with good success in the past).

If you need to get the car started, simply pull the ignition switch itself (at the end of the ignition lock cylinder) -- two small flat screws, covered by red paint unless the switch has been replaced before -- and use a screw driver to turn it. Now all you need to do is figure out how to break the steering lock and you'll know how to steal one of these cars.

best, whit

Ross
07-01-2006, 07:18 AM
Thanks I always wanted to be an artist.

dacoyote
07-01-2006, 09:02 AM
Thanks I always wanted to be an artist.

Ross,

I have been down this road....

I wasn't able to break the steering lock by hand.... so I ended up pulling it out. Years ago... doing things I am not pround of.... I used to get them to lift turning the switch side of the tumber.

Make sure you disconnect the battery... as if you don;t.. you get to reset the SRS light. Basicly you get to stip the steering collum all the way down.. There are two anti tamper shear off bolts... the way I got them out was to cut a grove in them with the dremal then used a big common screw driver with a set of vice grips on the handle to pull them out.

The transmision lock come in via the back... undo the nut holding it in... once you get it off.. there should be a little.. button you can press in... that will let you move the car outa park.

Let me know if you have any questions... I don't have pictures from when I did it and it's now been about 18 months... but it's possible to steal one... just keep in mind... with a 95 you prop got a microchipped key.. so you will have to still put the key in to get the car to start.

Thanks

Charles

Jr ///M5
07-01-2006, 01:08 PM
Ross, get in touch with Ed. He had the same problem a few months ago. Maybe you two can get together and he can show you how he did it. It's a little confusing trying to figure out the angle on the paper clip and the technique used.

Jr

Ross
07-01-2006, 01:23 PM
Here's the latest. LOck cyl is out after a lot of ****ing around, probably shouldn't have taken as long as I was expecting to hear some thing when it released. The clip only needed to go in an inch or so, I was thinking it wasn't in far enough. Atug was all it took.
Now for the interesting part. With the switch now free it won't tunr over by turning the switch. Actually it did on one occasion but no more.
I didn't have any elec drawings or any thing to remind me which relay is for the starter,guess I'll start there.
Chaging the lock looks like a barrell of monkeys. I need a drink!!
Back to the mines.
Ross

Ross
07-01-2006, 01:29 PM
Ed?

Ross
07-01-2006, 02:52 PM
Duh, the key(chip) needs to be there.

Ross
07-01-2006, 10:49 PM
You were right on. Quite an adventure for roadside repair. 120 buckeroos for the lock ASSEMBLY. Wouldn't it be nice if you could buy only what you need?