PDA

View Full Version : M50 Performance

94_e34_525i
06-30-2006, 02:25 AM
I know to some of you out there the title is an oxymoron but hey its what I got. Anyway I am thinking of getting the EAT chip for my car and was wondering is it going to make a diffrence? I mean the 525i is nowhere as fast as the 540i but can I get something out of it. I dont have money or time for a turbo kit or cam job so dont suggest those. Besides $4000 bucks for a tubo kit come on, are you joking! **** I can get another car. Sorry for the bable its late and i am bored. So is the chip worth it? If so where are the dyno results cant find them.

BillionPa
06-30-2006, 03:39 AM
clean out throttle + eat chip + intake + spark plugs + plug boots + moly disulfide oil additive + special gas additive (acetone + speed-tec + fp60)

fairly cheap "upgrade kit", you could one up it with performance coils, removal of catalytic converters, new higher efficiency injectors, or other random crap that do a "little" but add up and complement each other, providing noticable gains in power.

high flow throttle body = 8HP
if you have an auto, you can get a performance tranny chip
for manual lighter flywheel.

shanek
06-30-2006, 03:41 AM
I just installed one in my car. I have an M20 and it made a huge difference. The HP gain is only about 10% I think, but it is very noticable. My car is super smooth now. It made a bit of a difference off the line but it really made a big difference from 2500 RPM up. If you search the forums everyone who has installed one is very happy with it, me included. For $200 it is definitely worth it.

KenB
06-30-2006, 05:43 AM
I have one and highly recommend it. The best $200 you'll ever spend on your car. There is a big difference in the "feel" in the performance. It gets rid of the lag onder 3000 rpm and has a nice kick over 3k. Most people report better gas mileage but I can't keep my foot off the gas enough to milk it for mileage. Don't know about the feel with an auto trans but don't know why anyone would drive one anyway. (5 speed manual snobbery:D )

Russell
06-30-2006, 05:51 AM
EAT is excellent. Best bang for your buck. Had the chip for about 18 months. Gas mileage may have improved slightly. performance seems enhanced across the board and car just seems easier to drive.

RobPatt
06-30-2006, 06:44 AM
....heft... wonderful engine and moves the car along nicely, even with the auto... not quite the 'uumph' of the M30, but heck, it's a newer engine, 4 valve per cylinder, TU has vanos which feels cool, dohc, newer motoronic, electronic ignition... even with the auto tranny it's not a slug...

...just remember it's a great motor, though only 2.5L. with the EAT I think you'll be right under 200hp and 200ft/lb torque.. that's a decent gain for the money...

..otherwise just keep it maintained well, get a sachs kit and some nice wheels/tires and enjoy the ride :D while acceleration comes second.
cheers,
Rob.

Espen
06-30-2006, 10:43 AM
Just got my EAT for my m50b25, didnt really notice any difference in power.. the rpm limiter dissapeared.. thats about it.. But when it comes to difference in fuelconsumption I noticed a "huge" difference.. I used to get about 10.5liter/100km for my daily driving. Now im down at 8.5/100km

Espen
06-30-2006, 03:06 PM
Well forget what i wrote in my last post. IVe just went for a drive, and my tank was getting empty,i started to feel a "new" drag in the engine.. though i was because the car was light.. Filled up 30 litres.. And drive it hard for some more. there really is a "new" sound between 3000 and 4500 rpm, and a little power kick around 5500+ The fuelconsumption was enourmous during this little drive.

BillionPa
06-30-2006, 10:49 PM
performance chips do use more gas during acceleration, that power comes from somewhere you know!

however, if the O2 sensor is biffed, considerably more fuel could be used without the chip thinking anything is wrong, if yours is over 60K old change it.

also, if you add 1oz of pure acetone per 3.3 gallons of gas (3oz per 10 gals, thats NOT a lot at all) you can expect to see an increase in gas mileage greater than the decrease caused by the chip, however that increase will lessen in conjunction with O2 sensor accuracy, but nevertheless increase.

DO NOT ADD MORE than that amount, otherwise the gas will be gains will be lost.

I currently add 3.5oz/12 gallons + 2oz of FP60 + 1oz of Lucas UCL, and get about 10% better mileage than the EPA figure for the car, even with my lead foot and performance chip.

Bill R.
06-30-2006, 11:06 PM
the discovery channel. 0 gain , nada , nothing

performance chips do use more gas during acceleration, that power comes from somewhere you know!

however, if the O2 sensor is biffed, considerably more fuel could be used without the chip thinking anything is wrong, if yours is over 60K old change it.

also, if you add 1oz of pure acetone per 3.3 gallons of gas (3oz per 10 gals, thats NOT a lot at all) you can expect to see an increase in gas mileage greater than the decrease caused by the chip, however that increase will lessen in conjunction with O2 sensor accuracy, but nevertheless increase.

I currently add 3.5oz/12 gallons + 2oz of FP60 + 1oz of Lucas UCL, and get about 10% better mileage than the EPA figure for the car, even with my lead foot and performance chip.

BillionPa
07-01-2006, 12:03 AM
the gains depend on the car.

in a 2003 nissan murano, my mix yielded 33MPG 85% highway 15% city driving.
EPA estimate is 24mpg, so that is a MASSIVE improvement.

a lot of people with dodge neons report about the same level of improvement in highway mpg, going up to the 60 mark.

in MY car, i got a good 57mpg on the way back from the gas station (45mph average, uphill and downhill) according to the OBC, although thats not typical.
the terrain and traffic conditions were just really in my favour, and i didnt go below 10mph the whole way back. but thats still awesome!!!!

more typical is about a 20-25% during highway driving, and 10% during "spirited" and city driving for my car.

all my testing is done with ethanol free gasoline. I do not recommend using acetone in gas containing ethanol. the testing i did with E10 gas provided little improvement in performance and economy.

----------------------------------------------

in addition to the POSSIBLE gas savings, acetone helps in other ways...

1: cleans injectors and metal parts of the fuel system
2: lowers freezing point of gas (good for winter)
3: decreases surface tension of gas, better vaporization in engine = more torque
4: removes carbon deposits from valves
5: slight increase in octane (not very calculable, but enough to stop most pinging with medium octane gas)

now keep in mind that i am not using acetone alone, but a mix.

the other chemicals provide lubrication to the fuel pump, fuel pressure regualtor, injectors, and cylinder walls.

they also allow a hotter combustion which allows greater expansion of the exhaust gases, allowing more power from the same amount of injected fuel.

they work together with the acetone to improve both the efficiency and power of the engine, more so than one alone is capable of.

in the end, the money i spend on additives and premium ethanol free gas is less than i was spending on regular premium gas before, so I win!

94_e34_525i
07-01-2006, 02:08 AM
Thanks for the input guys I am curious about that bigger throttle body upgrade where do I get one?

Paul in NZ
07-01-2006, 04:31 AM
Bill R.
3 Grand Master Join Date: Jan 2004

Mythbusters just did the acetone deal the other day on

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is that the one with bleach,sugar etc as well?

ahsanz
07-01-2006, 08:14 AM
hi there...well 2 my knowledge the chip wot do much 2 the HP...a max of 10-15 hp will increase...thtz ma knowldge...let the experts put more light on tht....so experts plz reply :)

BillionPa
07-01-2006, 09:23 AM
10-15HP is about the same as a $1000 exhaust system, so the chip is well worth it.

Espen
07-01-2006, 05:59 PM
I did the acetone think on my previous car, a ford sierra, it did help a bit.

Could you transfer your mix into metric values? Liters and desiliters?

HDhandyman
07-01-2006, 07:50 PM

however, if the O2 sensor is biffed, considerably more fuel could be used without the chip thinking anything is wrong, if yours is over 60K miles old change it.

OK, I'll try to convert using the original message...this is straight math conversion, so I appologize for being so specific.

BillionPA (Converted)....
------------------
"performance chips do use more gas during acceleration, that power comes from somewhere you know!

however, if the O2 sensor is biffed, considerably more fuel could be used without the chip thinking anything is wrong, if yours is over 96.5K kilometers old change it.

also, if you add .295 liter of pure acetone per 12.49 liters of gas (.088 liters per 37.85, thats NOT a lot at all) you can expect to see an increase in gas mileage greater than the decrease caused by the chip, however that increase will lessen in conjunction with O2 sensor accuracy, but nevertheless increase.

I currently add .10liter/45.42 liters + .059 liters of FP60 + .029 liters of Lucas UCL, and get about 10% better mileage than the EPA figure for the car, even with my lead foot and performance chip."

---------------Hope this helps.

Chris'91'525i
07-01-2006, 07:59 PM

Didn't they use some POS carburated V8 on that test ?
I think the acetone to gas improvement thing is for FI motors.

Is it the same one they tried to seaze up with sugar in the fuel ?
The one I heard that really freezes up motors is KARO syrup in the crank case oil. After one heat and cool cycle the corn syrup crystalizes in the bearings.

MB does not do the myth correctly all the time.
They really screwed up replicating the ripping out of the rear end of the cop car, as in the movie "American Graffiti"......
They even tried to redo it , but used a much more heavy duty car than used in the movie.....with the same poor results as the the first attempt, which had the totally wrong type of car...

BillionPa
07-01-2006, 08:57 PM
the acetone thing is specifically for fuel injected cars in terms of mileage gains.

older generation fuel injectors get the best gains.

newer fuel injectors are more efficient and dont always get as much, but still benefit due to the better combusion.

Espen
07-02-2006, 07:37 AM
I currently add 1 liter/45.42 liters + .059 liters of FP60 + .029 liters of Lucas UCL, and get about 10% better mileage than the EPA figure for the car, even with my lead foot and performance chip."

1liter acetone in 45 liters fuel seems alot. I use about 0,2 liters aceton for 50 liters fuel on my previous car.

What is FP60 and Lucas UCL?

Airborne001
07-02-2006, 07:48 AM
Are the chips really just plug and play? I wouldn't mind a tiny bit more kick to my car, but I want to keep this one pretty stock, not going to get into any major mods like I did on my 325.

HDhandyman
07-02-2006, 10:32 AM
1liter acetone in 45 liters fuel seems alot. I use about 0,2 liters aceton for 50 liters fuel on my previous car.

What is FP60 and Lucas UCL?

I don't think that you read my conversion figures correctly. As for what FP60 and Lucas UCL are, I have no idea----sorry.:(

Russell
07-02-2006, 10:37 AM
plug&play and reversible. At least the EAT chip is on my 95 525i.

Russell
07-02-2006, 10:40 AM
BOBISTHEOILGUY forum will tell you all about FP60 and Lucas UCL. More than you want to know.

http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum;f=5

94_e34_525i
07-03-2006, 02:38 AM
Why has my post turned to a petroleum debate? If you guys want to talk about acetone and octane make your own posts. Anyway back to my questions first I dont if you guys answered my throttle body question, where can I buy a bigger throttle body? And is there a procedure of how to take it out on the M50? Thanks for your help.

BillionPa
07-03-2006, 02:50 AM
Dinan, $300, core required.