PDA

View Full Version : finally changed tranny fluid

Mendozart
06-30-2006, 12:23 AM
I've probably had my tranny filter kit for 3 years and I finally got the nerve to change the fluid out. Used Mobil 1 synthetic, let it drain overnight, ended up replacing almost 6 quarts. Now that I've got an e28 for an extra car I'm going to tackle all the projects I've been putting off. The tranny service was actually pretty easy, as I've read the procedure so many times. Will probably do again in about 5k as the fluid was a bit dirty.

Russell
06-30-2006, 05:42 PM
Mobil 1 seems to work well for me in cold or warm weather. I have about 15,000 miles on my last filter/oil change on my trany. No issues. My indy used about 7-8 quarts as he also blew the old fluid out of the trany cooler.

632 Regal
06-30-2006, 08:11 PM
Kirt recommends a 30k interval between changes...or is it 15k...hmmm

liquidtiger720
06-30-2006, 08:29 PM
I plan on doing mine every 15k or once a year (20-25k)

Blitzkrieg Bob
06-30-2006, 08:40 PM
since you only change whats in the pan and miss the torque converter.

Mendozart
06-30-2006, 08:57 PM
I did get a trans program about a week ago, after driving about 20 miles hwy, I exited freeway, put in sport mode, and it revved to about 4k and bling. Today it did the same thing, only in sport mode. I'm going to get the code read this week. Are the codes stored, or do they reset after ignition is off? The car has 196k now, so even if these are the early signs of tranny death, I got my moneys worth.

632 Regal
06-30-2006, 09:32 PM
a low fluid level will throw the code too with no other symptoms.

Russell
07-01-2006, 02:47 AM
change mine every 30,000 miles as recomended

genphreak
07-01-2006, 06:43 AM
change mine every 30,000 miles as recomendedI would have thought that with synthetic you could slowly strain the fluid to clean it, after all synthetic doesn't wear like dino, so maybe it is just as good to strain it and change the filter regularly.

FYI: Castrol Transmax Z is the only synthetic ATF that ZF has approved for use with the 4HP22.

If Mobil 1 is red in colour then the prick at Peake Performance that charged me $500 for a valve adjustment, trans and diff oil change without changing the trans filter might have actually used Mobil 1 ATF in mine.

I changed to Castrol Transmax Z afterwards as I lost all respect for them then. If he did actually use Mobil 1, Castrol works a lot better than Mobil 1 in the 4HP22 as it made a nice difference to my trannies changes.

However if it isn't red the bastards just ripped me... I can't see why Mobil 1 is not cool, but ZF saw a reason either not to bother testing- or approving it. From my research on this ages ago, it was apparent there was a lot of people in trouble for using different fluids - or rather Dealer's claiming no coverage for failiures due to the use of synthetic ATF. It might also be worth noting that at the time (at least in Australia), Mobil 1 was the only synthetic fluid marketed in the aftermarket.:) Nick

Russell
07-01-2006, 10:00 AM
IMO, doing it yourself is a pain. The car has to level to check the fluid at specific temps. As I do not have a rack, I do not like the idea of my car high on 4 jack stands and idling for about 30 minutes.

I let my indy do it. They know what they are doing and I do not.

Montreal525
07-01-2006, 12:06 PM
I let my indy do it. They know what they are doing and I do not.

Yeah well unfortunatly, that hasn't stopped most of us anyway...:D Plus, I had one Indy ask me if I could leave my Bentley book with the car (It's always with me when I go to a garage) Needless to say I fled the scene...

Like I heard once :

"Always remember, the Ark was built by amateurs and the Titanic was built by professionnals..."

Jeff

Russell
07-01-2006, 01:18 PM
Bet you are a lot younger than me. I am 62 and just will not do stuff like I did when I was younger. Even so, cars on 4 jack stands scare me.

Also, most of my BMW indy's mechanics are former BMW master mechanics. They have far better paper and on-line reference materials than the Bentley.

Motorsports of Lexington has been in business about 20 years. Do quaility work for a fair price. Even then, they do not do much work on the newest cars. Apparently, way too much speciality equoment neded.

SharkmanBMW
07-01-2006, 01:23 PM
Even so, cars on 4 jack stands scare me.

I'm with you, a hot, idling engine falling on your face is very scary!

Mendozart
07-01-2006, 07:36 PM
What I did was drive forward onto my ramps. Lifted the back and put on stands. Put my level on the pan and set both stands on the backside frame. Then I put the floor jack under the diff just for back up. I can do this in about 5 minutes, and I feel safe underneath.

Montreal525
07-01-2006, 10:59 PM
What I did was drive forward onto my ramps. Lifted the back and put on stands. Put my level on the pan and set both stands on the backside frame. Then I put the floor jack under the diff just for back up. I can do this in about 5 minutes, and I feel safe underneath.

I would do the same. Done it before and with the ramps and jackstands and a jack as back up, you're pretty much covered. But I am lucky, brother-in-law is a mechanic with his own garage so Monday morning, up the lift it goes (because I got the trans program again...second time in three months :( )... I do have to say, since I can go to his garage, the ramps are pretty much out of work...:D

Jeff