PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Hitch Source

tim
06-29-2006, 08:39 AM
Guys,

I've been looking for a nice trailer hitch for the e39 540iT. I found this source:

http://www.hmsmotorsport.com/store/exterior/trailer-hitch/da-lan-hitches#1952

I noticed they have an e34 version for under $200.

Anyway, has anybody seen this product? If so please comment on it.

Also, I figured I'd just tap the brake wires and make a little harness with some bullet connectors, but is there a better way?

I don't want to shell out for the Westfalia one.

-tim

Rigmaster
06-29-2006, 08:47 AM
Da'lan makes good quality hitches for Euro cars (that's what HMS is selling in the link you provided. I don't have experience with that exact hitch, but I've seen some of their other hitches and they are very well-built.

As for the wiring, don't make it harder than it needs to be. Use a standard "taillight converter" to tap into the taillight wiring, use those little scotch-lok connectors so you won't have to cut/splice the wiring. Then just get a flat 4 trailer connector for the car and you're there!!! (assuming the trailer you're hauling has a flat 4 connector...if not, just get whatever matches.)

Trailer wiring supplies like this are readily available- WalMart or your local chain auto parts place should have what you need.

Bret.

Ross
06-29-2006, 09:32 AM
Tim,
I'd be carefull of the trailer lights hook-up. You know how touchy the OBCs and check controls are. The wrong wattage on a bulb is enough to trigger a fault indication. Looking into BMW approved may save some headaches.

calmloki
06-29-2006, 02:30 PM
Just went to the DaLan website and then called HMS to double check. Note that although it looks like a reciever type hitch the E34 model (at least) is a fixed hitch. Shin biter alert. DaLan is a good product, but be aware of what you are getting before ordering. No problems here with the trailer converter wiring Bret mentions. Rarely get a fault indication, though it does happen.
Tom