PDA

View Full Version : OT: So wife calls and says Truck .....

KurtM
03-31-2004, 01:28 PM
(2001) Dodge Ram 79k) won't stay running. It will start but then dies. First questions is "How much gas in it?" and as always she says "The light is on, didn't have time to stop this morning" (Mind you that work is 5 min. from home) I start in on my ritualistic "don't run the tank down to empty, it sucks all the junk out of the tank" speech but it never seems to sink in. Won't now, hasn't for 16 years. So the more I become frustrated I feel her getting defensive. Said she will have one of the volunteer firefighters help her look at it. Guess what I get to do after work. :(
Just needed to vent.
Thanks
Kurt
95 525ia - Have yet to see little gas light on !!!!!

Bill R.
03-31-2004, 01:57 PM
sucks the stuff off the bottom, it sits on the bottom.. that and the constant sloshing of fuel in the tank while driving keeps everything pretty well mixed so any junk is sucked out all the time.. the real concern when running it down to empty is that the electric fuel pump uses gasoline as the lubricant on the impellars and if you run it dry the pump is more likely to fail...

(2001) Dodge Ram 79k) won't stay running. It will start but then dies. First questions is "How much gas in it?" and as always she says "The light is on, didn't have time to stop this morning" (Mind you that work is 5 min. from home) I start in on my ritualistic "don't run the tank down to empty, it sucks all the junk out of the tank" speech but it never seems to sink in. Won't now, hasn't for 16 years. So the more I become frustrated I feel her getting defensive. Said she will have one of the volunteer firefighters help her look at it. Guess what I get to do after work. :(
Just needed to vent.
Thanks
Kurt
95 525ia - Have yet to see little gas light on !!!!!

BigD
03-31-2004, 04:02 PM
I thought this was only a serious concern with diesels (not the dirt, the failure part)?

sucks the stuff off the bottom, it sits on the bottom.. that and the constant sloshing of fuel in the tank while driving keeps everything pretty well mixed so any junk is sucked out all the time.. the real concern when running it down to empty is that the electric fuel pump uses gasoline as the lubricant on the impellars and if you run it dry the pump is more likely to fail...