PDA

View Full Version : EAT Chip

94_e34_525i
06-29-2006, 01:45 AM
This is probably a stupid question but do I have to use 91 octane after I chip the car, I use 89 now. I know I do just making sure. And do all the chips require 91 or is there that can use 89. I have the M50 Vanos engine. Thanks for your help.

Mr Project
06-29-2006, 06:25 AM
Yes, you do.

Toomas
06-29-2006, 07:12 AM
Could someone explain how you convert the octan between US and Europe?
You have 89 and 91, we have 95 and 98, are they essentially the same?

Qsilver7
06-29-2006, 08:21 AM
Could someone explain how you convert the [octane] between US and Europe?
You have 89 and 91, we have 95 and 98, are they essentially the same?

The Octane number is a measure of the antiknock quality of gasoline...the ability of the gasoline to resist knocking when it is burned in an engine.

There are two lab tests to measure octane that are run in a single-cylinder engine operated under different conditions:
RON - Research Octane Number
MON - Motor Octane Number

The octane number posted on U.S. gasoline dispensers in service stations is the anti-knock index (AKI) ...which is a calculated average of RON and MON [(RON + MON)/2, usually abbreviated (R + M)/2]. The AKI was chosen as the posted value in the U.S. because experience showed it to be the best indicator of the antiknock performance of gasoline. In other parts of the world, RON frequently is posted on the pump. (as a rule of thumb...the RON of a gasoline equals the AKI + (4~6).)

So an 87 AKI is equivalent to 91 RON....89 AKI is equivalent to 95 RON...and 93 AKI is equivalent to 98 RON. ;)

MarkD
06-29-2006, 04:16 PM
This is probably a stupid question but do I have to use 91 octane after I chip the car, I use 89 now. I know I do just making sure. And do all the chips require 91 or is there that can use 89. I have the M50 Vanos engine. Thanks for your help.

The M50tu (VANOS) and the M50 both require 91 AKI (95 RON ) or higher octane.

By the way, the prices of the EAT chips were adjusted a few weeks ago, I had planned an increase for over a year but kept delaying it. The link you will find here: http://www.bimmer.info/eatchips/ is no longer valid. (you may be able to access it but I won't be shipping any chips for that price now)
I'll ask Ed to change the link to my regular products page. When you order the chip via PayPal, I will send you a refund of 10% if you mention the "bimmer.info discount" in the comments field. And I'll send 5% ($11.45) to Ed to help pay his server fees.

MarkD

Russell
06-29-2006, 05:25 PM
There you are! I noticed you no longer posted on Roadfly. Always great and informative posts.

MarkD
06-29-2006, 05:32 PM
There you are! I noticed you no longer posted on Roadfly. Always great and informative posts.

Hello Russ,

Thanks.

The reason I don't post on RoadF%$ anymore is because when I try to log in it says my browser is not accepting cookies... I'm sure it is. I even made the changes they mention to get the browser to accept cookies but no luck.

Mark

BillionPa
06-29-2006, 05:52 PM
is it mozilla?

MarkD
06-29-2006, 05:55 PM
is it mozilla?

No, Microsoft IE

Decius
06-29-2006, 07:43 PM
i just filled up.. cost me about $82 AUD for a full tank of BP Ultimate (98ron..??)
Thats about $60 us

94_e34_525i
06-30-2006, 01:50 AM

By the way, the prices of the EAT chips were adjusted a few weeks ago, I had planned an increase for over a year but kept delaying it. The link you will find here: http://www.bimmer.info/eatchips/ is no longer valid. (you may be able to access it but I won't be shipping any chips for that price now)
I'll ask Ed to change the link to my regular products page. When you order the chip via PayPal, I will send you a refund of 10% if you mention the "bimmer.info discount" in the comments field. And I'll send 5% ($11.45) to Ed to help pay his server fees.

MarkD

On my gas cap it says 89 so I put 89 unless its wrong.

BillionPa
06-30-2006, 03:43 AM
i would use "silver grade" gas, and after you have flushed all the old gas out, do an ecu reset to allow it to adjust to the new octane level.

or even better, 92aki ethanol free gas if you have access to it.

i have a chip that "wants" 93 octane, but it runs no problem on 92.

Qsilver7
06-30-2006, 05:32 AM
...after you have flushed all the old gas out, do an ecu reset to allow it to adjust to the new octane level.
Actually...an ECU reset is unecessary since the knock sensors in the M50, M50TU and M60 will react immediately to the change.

Again, a fuels octane rating indicates how it will resist knocking...there is nothing for the ECU to learn or unlearn in this case...in other words...since a higher octane fuel is going to resist knocking or pinging...the knock sensors will adjust and optimize the engines timing accordingly as the fuel ignites in the cylinder. Since a higher octane fuel is going to resist pre-ignition (or early firing within the cylinder because of its bio-chemical make up) the knock sensors will immediately adjust the engines timing...so there is no need to reset the ECU. Just as when/if you were to use lower octane fuel...the reason many don't "feel" any difference is because the knock sensors have adjusted the engines timing to optimize for the lower octane fuel...as soon as there is any pinging or knocking..the sensor will readjust the engines timing to compensate for the early ignition of fuel within the cylinder. This is also why using 87 AKI in one of the engines with knock sensors may result in lower performance and gas mileage...it doesn't "hurt" the engine...but it does reduce its performance because of the "compensation" in the engine's timing that is required to reduce or get rid of the "pinging" and "knocking". :)

May I add...octane ratings have NOTHING to do with the fuel being the "bad stuff", the "cheap stuff", the "okay" stuff", or the "good stuff"...it ONLY indicates the ability of the fuel to RESIST KNOCKING! ;)

Qsilver7
06-30-2006, 05:46 AM
Hey Russell...I finally gave up on RF...just couldn't take all the banning and difficulty in posting information if it came from a particular site. I stayed a few years ago when there was a big exodus on the e38 forum but as many that left were the really creative DIY'ers (there are no service manuals, like the Bentley for the e38)...many of the informative writeups and pics were on BimmerBoard...and there was no way to link or share that info with my fellow posters on the RF e38 board. One of the sites that hosts many of my images and writeups was also banned on RF.

Then they started banning old time e32 and e34 members...again over simple stuff...and many of them left for BimmerBoard, or here at Bimmer.Info, and BimmerForums...I felt no need to go back or frequent RF since Charlie and Alan quelched the free flow of information...which is what makes forums like these thrive.

The archives on RF are pretty extensive for many of the BMW models...so the newbs that find there way to RF have lots of info at there fingertips...IF they learn how to use the search function and archives! :D

That's my answer and I'm stickin to it. ;)

MarkD
06-30-2006, 05:50 AM
On my gas cap it says 89 so I put 89 unless its wrong.

It you use 89 AKI, the performance of the car will be reduced. The M50tu can handle 89 AKI since it has knock sensors, but don't expect the same performance especially in hot weather as you would get with 91 AKI.

MarkD

Russell
06-30-2006, 06:00 AM
Some of my posts on RF asking about you we deleted with no comment. I even suspected some of your archived posts had been removed. I did not actually take enough time to verify. I actually thought I was going to get banned because I just ASKED about you and your posts. Anyway, not yet. I seldom go there anymore except to just lurk.

MarkD
06-30-2006, 06:16 AM
Some of my posts on RF asking about you we deleted with no comment. I even suspected some of your archived posts had been removed. I did not actually take enough time to verify. I actually thought I was going to get banned because I just ASKED about you and your posts. Anyway, not yet. I seldom go there anymore except to just lurk.

That's interesting... Maybe they've banned me. I rarely even posted there and it was nothing commercial so I wonder what that's all about. If you get banned, what type of message will you see when you try to log in? Maybe the "not accepting cookies" message is their way of saying Sayōnara.

Mark

Edit: I just tried to log in to RoadFlea from two other PC's and got the same "not accepting cookies" message. Funny, I don't have trouble logging in to any other sites.

Russell
06-30-2006, 05:30 PM
That's interesting... Maybe they've banned me. I rarely even posted there and it was nothing commercial so I wonder what that's all about. If you get banned, what type of message will you see when you try to log in? Maybe the "not accepting cookies" message is their way of saying Sayōnara.

Mark

Edit: I just tried to log in to RoadFlea from two other PC's and got the same "not accepting cookies" message. Funny, I don't have trouble logging in to any other sites.
Welcome, russcasey. Set preferences (http://forums1.roadfly.com/preferences/setpref.php) is the message I get. apparently, I am not yet banned.

Jehu
06-30-2006, 11:46 PM

MarkD

Turner Motorsport's webpage mentions 'Homemade" chips as something to which the JC chip is supoosedly superior. Do you think this is targeted at the EAT chips? How do they differ?
On a side note i have to use 93AIK in my 5.7 V8 Chevy express van or it will knock.It didn't seem to be like that always but it has 350,000 miles on it now.Still has balls-to-the-walls, especially with the Sunoco Super 93 that stuff is noticelably better than anything else i've tried.I wonder if i could get a chip for that. It has a Governor that kills the throttle at about 100...

BillionPa
07-01-2006, 12:21 AM
run fuel injector or valve cleaner in the next few tanks, that should help clean out some carbon from the engine without knocking a large chunk off like the italian tuneup can.

also, at that age the ignition timing could be fuxxored.

after say, 100 gallons of fuel with ample fuel injector cleaner, run a tank of the next grade down and see how it does. there shouldnt be any pinging, if there is change the spark plugs, and if it still persists, have the timing looked at.

it should not ping on 89 octane.

nuclearfusion
07-01-2006, 01:40 AM
Turner Motorsport's webpage mentions 'Homemade" chips as something to which the JC chip is supoosedly superior. Do you think this is targeted at the EAT chips?

I'd hope not! That would be crass behaviour to say the least. It is almost universally acclaimed that Mark's software is top drawer and his operation is by no means that of a homemade hackjob.

That said, Jim Conforti has been tuning BMW engines for a long time and getting very good results from them. For example, the E28 crowd really likes his chips and their performance. I have had several good email conversations with both gentlemen over the past few years and both Mark and Jim have struck me as professionals with a passion for their work.

If I had a BMW that needed a chip I would go with Mark's EAT chip right away, no questions asked. If I couldn't get an EAT chip for some reason or other I'd go with Jim Conforti as a good second choice.

Enjoy!

Fusion

MarkD
07-01-2006, 04:42 AM
I'd hope not! That would be crass behaviour to say the least. It is almost universally acclaimed that Mark's software is top drawer and his operation is by no means that of a homemade hackjob.

That said, Jim Conforti has been tuning BMW engines for a long time and getting very good results from them. For example, the E28 crowd really likes his chips and their performance. I have had several good email conversations with both gentlemen over the past few years and both Mark and Jim have struck me as professionals with a passion for their work.

If I had a BMW that needed a chip I would go with Mark's EAT chip right away, no questions asked. If I couldn't get an EAT chip for some reason or other I'd go with Jim Conforti as a good second choice.

Enjoy!

Fusion

Thanks for the feedback on both JC and myself.

The chips Jim Conforti made are generally very good. That's one reason I never even released an s14 chip (for the E30 M3). But now I am getting requests for an s14 chip so may make some for special applications.

I have heard from quite a few sources that the TMS/JC chip for the M20 is not much better than stock. I managed to get quite a bit of extra torque/hp from that one. Here are 4 dyno runs done by Alex Schipkov, who autocrosses his car. The top hp and torque curve are from my chip. The colours in he legend are slightly off but it's been fixed on another graph which he didn't post yet.

You can see what the EAT chip does... TMS is probably referring to the eBay chips that everyone is buying instead of my chips.

By the way, Jim sold all the rights to his OBD-1 chips to TMS about 4 or 5 years ago.

MarkD

http://e30.us/dyno-sheets/8-30-2005/8-30-05-vs-1-17-05-runs.jpg

nuclearfusion
07-01-2006, 09:59 AM
Thanks for the feedback on both JC and myself.

We are fortunate to have you with us on this forum and keenly interested in supporting the older BMW models.

Unfortunately I recently sold my 533i so won't be able to help out with the M30B32 development project. I was really looking forward to comparing the Autothority, stock and EAT software! Are you still planning to go ahead with that one? I'd hope so. The 533i/633i platform is a fun car to drive, both freer-revving and lighter than the _35i cars. The Autothority ECU was quite noticeably different to the stock mapping, particularly up high in the RPM band. Your hope to get some more of that down lower was very intriguing.

In any case, best regards and thanks again!

Fusion

MarkD
07-01-2006, 10:14 AM
Unfortunately I recently sold my 533i so won't be able to help out with the M30B32 development project. I was really looking forward to comparing the Autothority, stock and EAT software! Are you still planning to go ahead with that one? I'd hope so. The 533i/633i platform is a fun car to drive, both freer-revving and lighter than the _35i cars. The Autothority ECU was quite noticeably different to the stock mapping, particularly up high in the RPM band. Your hope to get some more of that down lower was very intriguing.

In any case, best regards and thanks again!

Fusion

Yes I currently have two people in the USA testing version 1.0 for the 008 DME, amd am looking for someone in Toronto with a 3.3 so I can speed up the final development. If I find someone, I can release a chip very quickly.

Mark

nuclearfusion
07-01-2006, 10:53 AM
Yes I currently have two people in the USA testing version 1.0 for the 008 DME, amd am looking for someone in Toronto with a 3.3 so I can speed up the final development. If I find someone, I can release a chip very quickly.

Mark

I'm in Vancouver and would have loved to help out!

best regards and thanks again,

Fusion