PDA

View Full Version : Heater Core valve stuck open, any ideas?

BillionPa
06-29-2006, 01:40 AM
its summer and hot and im burning up!!! :(

not enough time to research gotta go to work but first i sleep night!

genphreak
06-29-2006, 03:23 AM

not enough time to research gotta go to work but first i sleep night!With the temp set to cool, before starting the engine tap the valve...then after (running cool) then again whilst its hot. Maybe it will close for you- are you feeling lucky? ~! Nick

Toomas
06-29-2006, 07:40 AM
My e28 M535i used to blow hot air all the time, it was nice sauna feeling going down the highway doing 200km/h.
But otherwise it was actually not that horrible even during the summer.

RobPatt
06-29-2006, 08:07 AM
telling how can take the heater hoses to bypass the core in the passenger compartment.......that may get you through until can open and repair the valve, which a photo rich document was linked to by shogun (search again for user shogun) describing how to remove and clean the valves.

cheers,
Rob.

Bill R.
06-29-2006, 08:22 AM
core. (http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=3760&=ryan+heater+core+bypass)

not enough time to research gotta go to work but first i sleep night!

Hallmark
06-29-2006, 02:22 PM
The easiest fix (for now) is to take the valve apart and then put it back together with the valves locked in the closed position. I did this once using a wooden match stick to hold the valve shut.
Order a new valve from BMA before winter.

BillionPa
06-29-2006, 05:56 PM
strange thing is, it seems to not blow hot air with the fan in position 1, but burning hot in all the other positions. i think im gonna try to fix it... and use up some more coolant in the process.

BillionPa
06-29-2006, 06:05 PM
hmm, to help, is it safe to disconnect the power from the aux water pump?

genphreak
06-29-2006, 07:00 PM
hmm, to help, is it safe to disconnect the power from the aux water pump?Yep, it only helps to keep the heatflow through the heater core constant and therefore help regulate cabin temperature. If you bypass, you should do this. I removed my valve and pump assy altogether once. just connect the two hoses coming from the motor together with a pipe and your're done. :) Nick

Tiger
06-29-2006, 08:07 PM
bmwe34.net had the solution... loosen all those torx screws and whack it with hammer to loosen that stuck valve. You do this when car is cold, engine off, and key on.... turn hot... whack a little bit... turn cold... whack a bit... repeat a couple of times... and tighten up the torx... done.