PDA

View Full Version : ::.. Actual fuel tank size on 535i?

Qube
06-29-2006, 12:03 AM
The OBC reports 61L topped off... I KNOW the cluster is wrong (replaced) as it goes up to 90L. From empty light on to fillup is about 70L.

Is 70L the 'stock' size of this tank? Is the OBC just stupid or perhaps replaced as well? The latter is probably my real question. I go by the MTL on the OBC and it worries me when the light is on and the OBC says I have 6L left... yeah right. That's why I have the optional spare tank in the trunk ;)

E34 530
06-29-2006, 12:04 AM
Don't quote me on this Qube, but I believe every e34 gas tank holds 21.4 U.S. gallons.

Qube
06-29-2006, 12:09 AM
Don't quote me on this Qube, but I believe every e34 gas tank holds 21.4 U.S. gallons.

So that would make it ~81L... technically. Anyone know how the OBC 'thinks' how much fuel is in the tank?

Strange thing... searching "21.4US GAL to litre" on Google brings up this thread! http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=6975

Bill R.
06-29-2006, 12:16 AM
The OBC reports 61L topped off... I KNOW the cluster is wrong (replaced) as it goes up to 90L. From empty light on to fillup is about 70L.

Is 70L the 'stock' size of this tank? Is the OBC just stupid or perhaps replaced as well? The latter is probably my real question. I go by the MTL on the OBC and it worries me when the light is on and the OBC says I have 6L left... yeah right. That's why I have the optional spare tank in the trunk ;)

Qube
06-29-2006, 12:18 AM

Which brings two questions... why would the cluster indicate up to 90L yet it doesn't have the oil temp (instead of econ gauge) if only euro m5 has 90 tank? Second question being still... why the OBC thinks ~61L is a full tank when I clearly filled ~71L when the light came on? :|

Toomas
06-29-2006, 01:04 AM
You have to reprogram the OBC if you change the tank.
"Normal" e34's have either 80 or 81 liter tanks one is plastic the other is metal.
Saudi e34's have special tanks for example.

Paul in NZ
06-29-2006, 05:27 AM
i think i have the 80 l tank and have never put more than 72 litres in ussually its around 65 litres How much is supposed to be left when the light comes on?

Toomas
06-29-2006, 07:18 AM
5-10 liters or so i guess.
But remember it cant get it all out and in the bottom there is dirt and dirt is very very bad for your injectors so you shouldnt drive very long with the light on.

Bill R.
06-29-2006, 08:09 AM
reserve when the light comes on . 81 liter tank of which 8 is reserve. So 73 liters if you filled it up right when the light comes on.

i think i have the 80 l tank and have never put more than 72 litres in ussually its around 65 litres How much is supposed to be left when the light comes on?

kick7ca
06-29-2006, 08:22 AM
Mine is 80L, I ran out of gas once and coasted into a filling station and I actually put 80L into the car. The attendent was stunned at how much gas it took.

Bill R.
06-29-2006, 08:30 AM
situated you can easily have 1liter sitting in the bottom of the tank below the fuel pickup. Here's the info directly from the factory specs manual

Mine is 80L, I ran out of gas once and coasted into a filling station and I actually put 80L into the car. The attendent was stunned at how much gas it took.

genphreak
06-29-2006, 08:40 AM
situated you can easily have 1liter sitting in the bottom of the tank below the fuel pickup. Here's the info directly from the factory specs manualMy light starts flashing 20L form empty. My OBC has been -58km on the rangemeter, so I guess that's pretty close to empty if the OBC is set to read zero with 8L in reserve.

One thing to beware, once it is negative, if you then drive the car, something screws up- I ran out once with 40km to go on the OBC, but the light had been on for a couple of drives by then. But as I said, my light comes on quite early in the piece- when the OBC still reads 80km even. (The light runs straight off the gauge so as the fuel slops around it will occasionally come on bit. :) Nick

genphreak
06-29-2006, 08:49 AM
5-10 liters or so i guess.
But remember it cant get it all out and in the bottom there is dirt and dirt is very very bad for your injectors so you shouldnt drive very long with the light on.This is an old wives' tale... the filter (and changing it regulalrly) covers all that- the problems one gets with tanks are mainly two-fold:

1. Water- tend to drive with it empty and the air that replaces the fuel that was there as it is used up is usally mid-day air which is warm and laden with water. As that air cools at night it has to drop the water so you get water condensing on the (now colder) walls of the tank. In the daytime, you fill up and the water hangs at the bottom, and invariably gets drawn into the line and can cause poor running for a bit. I don't know if these amounts can cause damage, but fuel has additives to help the water to 'disolve' within it and I think these generally work well. However it pays (if your car sits for long periods), to fill the tank to avoid condensation- and of course block the wheels to avoid flat spots on the tyres!

2. Rust along with water the other problem is thus water. No trouble with a nice light plastic tank tho! ;) thanks BMW; this is why old Benz's have so many fuel troubles- they use steel tanks and get rust inside that clogs the pickup and might help to burn out the pump.

Hell of a job replacing a tank (yuk).

I"m glad mine is plastic- so long as it doesn't split! :) Nick