PDA

View Full Version : another window question

Mr Z
06-28-2006, 05:32 PM
Two part question here...neither of my rear window switches work, up or down, nor can I hear it activating the relay. If I push the switch down on the passenger rear window as I'm putting the window down from the front switch, the window stops moving, and then starts again after I let go of the rear switch. At first I thought it was the child safety lock malfunctioning, however I pulled out the switches up front, cleaned and inspected them, and found nothing wrong. Anyone have any suggestions for this?
Part 2: My driver rear window will not go down. I can hear the motor activate when I push the switch up, however, it will not go down. I pulled offf the door panel today and cleaned the contacts and gave it a good whack, but still nothing. Am I looking at a bad motor, relay, or switch here?

Ross
06-28-2006, 05:59 PM
What you are describing regarding both rear switches is how it will operate if the safety switch is engaged.Check your switch again and the connections.
I'm pretty confident it's the switch for other side as well.

Mr Z
06-28-2006, 06:02 PM
What you are describing regarding both rear switches is how it will operate if the safety switch is engaged.Check your switch again and the connections.
I'm pretty confident it's the switch for other side as well.

I've pulled the switch assembly apart, and am seeing 2 springs and a lever that slides into the button. What is the function that I am looking for in this?

Ross
06-28-2006, 06:09 PM
That is the safety switch. The lever goes into a groove in the plastic button,if you take the button out you will see how it works to ratchet the button for on and off. The spring do what springs do,pushing the button back up, you will see the little **** they go on. It's a little tricky to get back together. I would bet all your problems are the switches.
Hope you don't need bi-focals like me.

Mr Z
06-28-2006, 06:18 PM
That is the safety switch. The lever goes into a groove in the plastic button,if you take the button out you will see how it works to ratchet the button for on and off. The spring do what springs do,pushing the button back up, you will see the little **** they go on. It's a little tricky to get back together. I would bet all your problems are the switches.
Hope you don't need bi-focals like me.
Alright, I'll take another look...while I've got you, is it possible to remove the switch just by removing the rear part of the center console, or does the whole thing need to come out?

SchnellE34
06-28-2006, 06:23 PM
you don't need to remove the console to unplug the switch, it prys out, you have to be carefully not to damage the console it's sitting in

Bill R.
06-28-2006, 07:23 PM
http://www.bimmernut.com/%7Ebillr/images/windowswitch.jpg
Alright, I'll take another look...while I've got you, is it possible to remove the switch just by removing the rear part of the center console, or does the whole thing need to come out?