PDA

View Full Version : Please help this newbie with his shift knob

Gayle
06-28-2006, 07:06 AM
Got this message from newbie who can't post for some reason.

Private Message: Hi help please
Yesterday, 10:48 PM
90bimmer535i Join Date: Jun 2006

Hi help please

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hi help please. im a newb and i cant post on the thread. so i am asking you for help. i took off the shift knob off my 535i and know i dont know how to put it back. can you please help me? thanks

90bimmer535i -- I am going out of town or else I would help you figure out why you are having difficulty posting. Contract 632 Regal for help. He is almost always on line and is an automotive bleeding heart who likes to help people in a jam like you.

And FYI--fill out your complete profile. The knowledgeable people here get sort of snarky when newbies without completed profiles ask for help.:) Good luck.

Qube
06-28-2006, 09:30 AM
I was under the assumption that it just pushes on. Only fits two ways... right or upside down because there's a notch inside.

Rigmaster
06-28-2006, 09:38 AM
5 speed or automatic?

5 speed knob just sort of pushes on (like Qube said), you have to line up the little tabs to fit in the notch on the shifter and push. If it doesn't stay on, then the tabs inside the knob could be broken off- get a new knob.

Auto shifter is a bit more complicated, it's held on with a short allen screw. You have to make sure the metal pin of the release handle is fit correctly into the white plastic pin that goes in the center of the metal shifter arm.

HTH, post back if not....

Bret.

Blitzkrieg Bob
06-29-2006, 02:35 AM
I am running out of my 1000 words. so maybe a picture or diagram could help.

I've tried to guide this owner via PMs, but they are still having trouble getting the linkage to lock in the gears.

It's an auto....

CharlesAFerg
06-29-2006, 02:48 AM
nm, its gayle. I'm stupid. I thought the newb posted that.
I already sent him a detailed PM

Blitzkrieg Bob
06-29-2006, 03:40 PM
how many out there got PM'd to help??