PDA

View Full Version : Follow Up For "I'm Stupid" Bad Noises!!!

TheEndIsNear
06-27-2006, 10:51 PM
This is the follow up from my "I'm Stupid" post. I'm reposting it so those that are no longer paying attention to the argument in my other thread can have a listen.

OK, so here's a short video of my engine. Dial up beware!!! Wait for the scary sound at the end of the clip. My valves cant be making all that noise, can they?

My Poor M20... (http://s65.photobucket.com/albums/h212/theendisnear069/?action=view&current=SickE34avi.flv)

HELP MY BABY!!!

liquidtiger720
06-27-2006, 10:52 PM
dosn't work

TheEndIsNear
06-27-2006, 10:55 PM
Fixed...

632 Regal
06-27-2006, 11:40 PM
I posted to the other thread, maybe a copy/paste is in order?

632 Regal
06-27-2006, 11:42 PM
dont ask and you'll still receive:

godamn adjust them rocker arms! (are they adjustable?) at least 2 are way loose. check the banjo bolts for looseness. other than the noises that are making me almost gag and run to the camode it sounds very much alive.

do some checking, maybe the eccentrics (me included) are worn in spots causing noise.

632 Regal
06-27-2006, 11:43 PM
so there without checking it all out your really guessing the cause of a really disturbing gag reflex sound that may possibly be easily fixt.

ska-texas
06-27-2006, 11:49 PM
Nice to see real solutions/answers to the possible problem. I checked your other thread because I was curious. Damn did that thing take a wrong turn.

632 Regal
06-27-2006, 11:57 PM
what real solution/answers did you see? (I'm missin something)

Nice to see real solutions/answers to the possible problem. I checked your other thread because I was curious. Damn did that thing take a wrong turn.

rob101
06-28-2006, 12:01 AM
what real solution/answers did you see? (I'm missin something)
I think he meant as opposed to the "FARK YOU CUNTS I AM GOING TO KILL ALL NERDS" theme of the original "I'm stupid" post. In that someone has actually answered his question.

632 Regal
06-28-2006, 12:04 AM
Okay it sortof makes sence now.

I think he meant as opposed to the "FARK YOU CUNTS I AM GOING TO KILL ALL NERDS" theme of the original "I'm stupid" post. In that someone has actually answered his question.

Mr._Graybeard
06-28-2006, 01:35 AM
It's a bit hard to hear all the noises and where they're coming from (I'm a little deef, comes with the gray beard)... is there a kind of lope to the idle? I could barely hear it in the lower frequencies. Kind of a woof, woof, woof toward the rear of the engine bay, it seemed. My '87 ragtop has more of a murmur from the exhaust. It sounds a little sharper than I'd expect.

Could it be that something internal in the exhaust let go, raising the back pressure, thereby increasing the blowby and raising the crankcase pressure, pushing oil vapor out of the breather and into the combustion stream (hence the blue smoke)? Wild, wild-ass guess. Hope it's that simple. Of course you'd have a loss of power, too.

The top end does sound noisy. I recall changing out the head bolts on my cabrio after reading horror stories that got me worried one might break and the loose piece would dance with the cam. I'd expect that would make a lot more noise than a a little ticking, though. If you have torx head bolts, not an issue.

I also recall having to change out the exhaust manifold gaskets -- a bad one produced a whole lot of ticking noises. But that's pretty easy to trace. We didn't get the Photobucket tour on the exhaust side of the engine but putting an ear to a screwdriver resting against the exhaust manifold should tell you a lot about possible leaks.

That throat-clearing noise at the end of the audio file is interesting. Since we hear it while looking at the front of the engine, the assumption is that it's coming from there. Hard to tell if that's really the case. I'll play out the exhaust scenario: I've heard weird noises coming from crank seals when crankcase pressures are out of sorts. Blocked exhaust -- the pressure has to go somewhere, so some of it farts at the front seal.

Just a few wild-assed guesses.

DaveVoorhis
06-28-2006, 05:01 AM
Noises are difficult to discern on a video, but I'd be inclined to try two things:

1. Temporarily remove the accessory belts and run briefly in order to verify that the noises aren't due to a flaky alternator, water pump, etc.

2. Pop off the valve cover and examine the valve train for damage, then adjust the rockers.

Ausmpower
06-28-2006, 05:08 AM
Sounds like it's from the front of the engine to me.

Water pump bearing? or A/c drive belt tensioner bearing?

When was your timing belt last done? timing belt tensioner bearing?

Sounds to me like one of those.

P.s your rockers need adjusting Badly!

Ross
06-28-2006, 06:21 AM
Yup, it sounds like valve noise. Lash those valves already!! That motor likes 'em towards the loose side, tight enough to be quiet and they idle poorly.

calmloki
06-28-2006, 09:09 AM
Time to pull the valve cover now. Valve adjustment is in order and a good opportunity to fish around with a magnet to pull out the broken bits. Do a real close observation of the intake and exhaust rockers, looking for sign of one of them shifting to the side on the rocker shaft. Thinking you may have a broken snap ring/thrust washer that locates the rocker above the valve stem. Sumpins busted and floating.