06-26-2006, 02:52 PM
incase anyone is interested:

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/car/175200513.html

Evan
06-26-2006, 02:57 PM
low mile 6-spd M540 for $7K.... what is it an M5 a 540/6 or an M540

fkong777
06-26-2006, 03:19 PM
wow.. thats a steal.. Nice. someone else is selling a similar spec \ mileage M-sport for $15K.

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=22083&highlight=m-sport

DABIMR
06-26-2006, 04:26 PM
incase anyone is interested:

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/car/175200513.html
Damn it!! If only you had posted this 2 weeks ago!! I just picked up a similar one, '95 540i/6 (though not an M540), but same color combo with 103K miles for $1K more!! And it was a Nikasil, but engine's strong and has been running well..

Oh well, free bump, very nice ride..:)

dt8068
06-26-2006, 05:38 PM
That same car is on ebay for a buy it now of $17,995, and the one that fKong777 pointed out for $15k is also the same car.

McWatters
06-26-2006, 06:12 PM
Abuuh. gorgeous forshure..

cheers

J.McWatters

angrypancake
06-26-2006, 06:12 PM
god damn scammers.

swenpro
06-26-2006, 06:26 PM
Why should I believe he is a scammer? He has 98.9% positive ebay feedback and has clearly documented the car with no misleading descriptions, including "I welcome and recommend a buyer's inspection." It is quite possible that he has listed it multiple places for multiple prices in an effort to feel out its value. He's located in Milwaukee... I very well might check it out when I'm up there soon.
(ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-M5-540i-M-Sport-1995-540i-M-Sport-M540i-M3-M5-M6-E34-540_W0QQitemZ230000375110QQihZ013QQcategoryZ133182 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

Evan
06-26-2006, 06:33 PM
you should take a closer look if you're in the area.. it could be a great buy

angrypancake
06-26-2006, 06:45 PM
the ebay auction seems legit, but i was referring to the craigslist ad. it seems to be a hotbed for fake listings. and a legit msport with under 80k miles for under 7 grand? forgive me for not holding my breath.

Evan
06-26-2006, 06:47 PM
i'm with you, pancake... the CL ad is a phony.. I'll let you know if he responds to my email (asking for me to wire some money to East Timor)

KenB
06-26-2006, 06:48 PM
you should take a closer look if you're in the area.. it could be a great buy

I emailed forum member bstuadt, he listed the car for sale here last month. This is his reposnse.

Someone told me about this. Sounds like someone copied my ad and it’s a scam. The car is for sale—by me only.

swenpro
06-26-2006, 06:57 PM
This makes more sense.... too bad tho ;) 7k I can work out, 17k is a horse of a different color

Ross
06-26-2006, 07:12 PM
The Craig's list ad is from Philly, the ebay Milw.

KenB
06-26-2006, 07:23 PM
The Craig's list ad is from Philly, the ebay Milw.

The Craigslist ad is a fraud; pictures on it lifted off ebay listing, has same VIN number in both ads.

This is why I emailed the person who originally listed it here in May and asked him if he had sold it. He states it is a scam.

I have also reported the scam to abuse@craigslist.org

saj3n
06-26-2006, 07:27 PM
The Craigslist ad is a fraud; pictures on it lifted off ebay listing, has same VIN number in both ads.

This is why I emailed the person who originally listed it here in May and asked him if he had sold it. He states it is a scam.

I can't believe that people would waste so much time trying to scam people... then again... $7k is great pay for the 5 min it took to post the ad.

Ross
06-26-2006, 07:30 PM
On the flip side you can run an ad for the biggest chunk of **** at the most outrageous price and one of these clowns will respond to you with a lame-o scam. I posted an ad trying to sell off our old van that I was convinced nobody would want and was deluged by these scammers. I had fun with them but was right about the car's desirability.

KenB
06-26-2006, 07:35 PM
I can't believe that people would waste so much time trying to scam people... then again... $7k is great pay for the 5 min it took to post the ad.

I emailed the "seller" thru craigslist saying I was interested and wanted to look at the car.

Do you think he will send me his address?

Anyone want to go with me to "look" at it?;)

saj3n
06-26-2006, 07:36 PM
I emailed the "seller" thru craigslist saying I was interested and wanted to look at the car.

Do you think he will send me his address?

Anyone want to go with me to "look" at it?;)

I'll Go!

KenB
06-26-2006, 07:43 PM
On the flip side you can run an ad for the biggest chunk of **** at the most outrageous price and one of these clowns will respond to you with a lame-o scam. I posted an ad trying to sell off our old van that I was convinced nobody would want and was deluged by these scammers. I had fun with them but was right about the car's desirability.

I was considering listing my Volvo that I need to sell on craigscam...think I'll try elsewhere.

KenB
06-26-2006, 07:51 PM
I'll Go!

If any, the response will be to wire some money to an "escrow" account since he's working in Bum**** and the car is in Asschew.

I went through this a short time ago with another craigscam listing that I checked...that's 2 for 2 for anyone keeping score at home.

fkong777
06-26-2006, 09:00 PM
I see a broken right top mount.. .I would like to see pictures of the edc dampers.. wondering if they are dry or oily.. for $17K.. edc should be perfect. also being picky. I see all the tow hook covers missing.

Beautiful finish tho..

KenB
06-27-2006, 06:26 AM
Received an email from "seller" George Taylor on CL - sewens28@gmail.com

Hi,
The car is in a perfect condition,the mileage is accurate,it has no scratches,no damages,no hidden defects,also it comes with a clear title.Kept it in a warm garage.My wife is devastated that we have to sell it but we have to pay too much money for register it here,so we decide to sell it.My company have relations in States and I worked there for 2 years.I has the opportunity to buy it from there and bring it with me when I come back.The car was bought from US,so it has US standards,so stay cool it's perfect compatible to your standards and you will don't have to pay more duty taxes on it.And this is an impediment for me to sell it here cause,first,we have a different standards and second will be very expensive for me to register it here.I have to pay an very expensive duty taxes.The price for this car is 6,950 USD.The car is no longer registered in States.What other info would you like on it?It will be shipped from Bray,Ireland and i will pay the shipping and insurance charges.
I will wait for your email to let me know if you are interested in knowing more details about the purchase.

Thanks!

Ross
06-27-2006, 06:57 AM
It would be nice to be able to lure this guy into a meeting.Perhaps with the true owner and the authorities.

Toomas
06-27-2006, 07:00 AM
Hahaahaaa, the guy worked in USA and lives in Ireland and cant write proper english?

Ross
06-27-2006, 07:05 AM
Post an ad for something, anything on one of those free sites and watch the BS artists come rolling in! It's good for a laugh, If you respond back to them in similar gibberish you can really confuse them.

KenB
06-27-2006, 07:23 AM
abuse@craigslist.org keeps bouncing back my emails as:

The following addresses had delivery problems:

<abuse@craigslist.org (abuse@craigslist.org)>
Permanent Failure: Other address status
Delivery last attempted at Tue, 27 Jun 2006 15:11:53 -0000

Big help, eh?

calmloki
06-27-2006, 07:24 AM
OTOH: I sold a '91 318i for $3,000 and a wrecked '89 325i 'vert for $950, rented a tiny apartment to a law student who paid a year up front, showed a house we sold to several likely candidates. All on Craigslist, all for free, all with nice big color pictures and the ability to blather on at length, and all at NO COST. Also have bought a large pottery kiln, 5 tons of clay, a stack of marble, the afore mentioned 318 and my current 525it from Craigslist ads. Given that a 4 line ad in the local fishwrap is $240/month - no color pictures - I think that Craigslist is the greatest selling/buying tool out there. Craig Newmark rocks!
Tom

KenB
06-27-2006, 07:48 AM
Tom,

Good to hear some positive experiences regarding CL, thanks.

Evan
06-27-2006, 07:49 AM
you are the voice of reason... I've been using CL since 1999 and it's been invaluable!

calmloki
06-27-2006, 09:11 AM
Hmmm. When I just tried to check the ad I got this message:

This posting has been removed by craigslist staff.

Less than 24 hours since the ad link was posted here.

Fairly responsive in deed.

KenB
06-27-2006, 09:26 AM
Hmmm. When I just tried to check the ad I got this message:

This posting has been removed by craigslist staff.

Less than 24 hours since the ad link was posted here.

Fairly responsive in deed.

Glad to hear it, I was getting the impression that my emails (other than the first one last night) pointing out the fraudulant listing was not being received by craigslist abuse department. I sent them source code from the "sellers" email header. Even though it's a gmail address thru google, they should be able to trace the account to someone.

It would be nice to be able to find out if they go after the perpetrator of the fraud and if they are successful in that endeavor. It would go a long way to prevent other scammers from trying this if it was in the public eye that one of them has been successfully prosecuted.

fkong777
06-27-2006, 09:34 AM
Received an email from "seller" George Taylor on CL - sewens28@gmail.com

Hi,
The car is in a perfect condition,the mileage is accurate,it has no scratches,no damages,no hidden defects,also it comes with a clear title.Kept it in a warm garage.My wife is devastated that we have to sell it but we have to pay too much money for register it here,so we decide to sell it.My company have relations in States and I worked there for 2 years.I has the opportunity to buy it from there and bring it with me when I come back.The car was bought from US,so it has US standards,so stay cool it's perfect compatible to your standards and you will don't have to pay more duty taxes on it.And this is an impediment for me to sell it here cause,first,we have a different standards and second will be very expensive for me to register it here.I have to pay an very expensive duty taxes.The price for this car is 6,950 USD.The car is no longer registered in States.What other info would you like on it?It will be shipped from Bray,Ireland and i will pay the shipping and insurance charges.
I will wait for your email to let me know if you are interested in knowing more details about the purchase.

Thanks!

Another POS overseas shipping scam. He will ask for some type of Dutie or Tax on it soon.

calmloki
06-27-2006, 09:56 AM
Glad to hear it, I was getting the impression that my emails (other than the first one last night) pointing out the fraudulant listing was not being received by craigslist abuse department. I sent them source code from the "sellers" email header. Even though it's a gmail address thru google, they should be able to trace the account to someone.

It would be nice to be able to find out if they go after the perpetrator of the fraud and if they are successful in that endeavor. It would go a long way to prevent other scammers from trying this if it was in the public eye that one of them has been successfully prosecuted.

Ken,
While I may well be wrong I would doubt that they try to prosecute scammers. Costs money. They have a link at the top of each ad that allows those reading the ad to mark it as miscategorized, spam, prohibited, or just so weird it belongs in Craig's "best of the list" area. This seems to work pretty well as sharp eyed buyers use their Spidey-sense on the ads. Also has an abuse link, which I've not tested as you did. It's a wild and wooly marketplace out there - caveat emptor applies. Craigslist has no popups, sidebar ads, strobing WIN WIN WIN ads, etc. to earn funds from. Prosecution costs money and I don't think it stops many scammers from trying to better their lot in Zambezieland or Cleveland or wherever - all we can do as buyers is keep our money in our pockets if we don't feel good about something. The odd thing to me is that nearly all scammer attempts are transparent. Why oh why do the Very Official Chase Bank emails warning me that my password has been comprimised, complete with proper graphics and logos, have botched syntax or spelling? Isn't free money worth the extra effort on the scammer's part?
Tom

wjbell
06-27-2006, 03:23 PM
You forgot to mention the tons of BS you have to go through to finally stumble on some good deals through craigslist.

I've off and on used CL for a couple years and honestly, with the amount of crap you have to put up with from the less-than-desirable people that seem to gravitate tward these freebie sites it's worth it to spend $40 for a newspaper ad.

The old saying is true: There's no free lunch. Your either going to pay in money, or in stress and time wading through the BS.

OTOH: I sold a '91 318i for $3,000 and a wrecked '89 325i 'vert for $950, rented a tiny apartment to a law student who paid a year up front, showed a house we sold to several likely candidates. All on Craigslist, all for free, all with nice big color pictures and the ability to blather on at length, and all at NO COST. Also have bought a large pottery kiln, 5 tons of clay, a stack of marble, the afore mentioned 318 and my current 525it from Craigslist ads. Given that a 4 line ad in the local fishwrap is $240/month - no color pictures - I think that Craigslist is the greatest selling/buying tool out there. Craig Newmark rocks!
Tom

swenpro
06-27-2006, 05:46 PM
KenB, i also e-mailed this guy yesterday with one question "Where do you live?"

His reply today is, well, exactly what you posted:

George Taylor
sewens28@gmail.com

Hi,

Thanks!

Okay, thanks, buddy, but back to my question. Not where will it be shipped from, but where do YOU LIVE? Not that it matters anymore, haha :D