PDA

View Full Version : My write up on retrofitting GM 3 tower coil packs.

Jon K
06-25-2006, 12:23 PM
This will apply to any car that wants to run megasquirt ECU or comparable and lose the stock coil packs. This will run any 6 cylinder BMW, whether it is an M5x motor with individual coil on plugs, or an M20/M30 with a main coil. This is still a true "digital ignition" system and contains no moving parts.

Ok so what I gathered information about this coil pack and found that the unit by default contains a module that controls the dwell among other things. This is unnecessary if you're running individual a standalone with programmable dwell or fixed duty cycle to fire coil packs, so I did away with this module by simply cutting it out.

http://www.blowneuroz.com/newmotor/gmcoil1.jpg

With an Ohm meter I ohmed the terminals where the coils sit to the pins inside the module area and found that there is one terminal that all 3 coils ohm out to. At first I thought it might be a common ground, but then I remembered that coils are triggered via ground, so it had to be a common +12v, or at least that's my understanding.

Also, based on my own thinkering, it doesn't really matter which terminal I gave +12v or GND, as long as there was each going to each coil. So, technically, even though the coils all share a common +12v (again, my assumption), had I not had this little coil holder thing, I could have just supplied a 12v source to either pin on any coil and a GND to the opposite pin to that respected coil.

Then, once that's established, the other pin on the coil goes each to a seperate pin in the module area and thus I assume they are ground triggers for the coil. If you intend to trigger the coils directly off of an ECU, the ECU must have the appropriate transistors inside to handle coil ignition. Basically, it must have hardware that acts essentially as a mini relay that closes for an amount of time (dwell) and releases (ignition).

The setup cost me $30 and the coil pack came with the aluminum bracket, the 3 wasted spark coils, and the moderately expensive GM HEI DIS ignition module. Some ECUs (megasquirt included) can run with the HEI Module installed but that takes away the ability to control dwell among other things. Because I don't care about the HEI module I ripped it out (which proved quite difficult and interesting. GM fills the cavity that comprises the circuit board up with a unhardening gelatin/silicone or something. Its really nasty ****. It is very difficult to remove as it acts like a glue and a jelly at the same time, yuck). The best part about this is that the coil packs are VERY inexpensive when compared to BMW ones, while providing the same or greated (yes greater) secondary voltage. You see, MSD supplies these high output coils for $40 ea, whereas a BMW high output coil goes for...$$$.

The downside is that I will be running spark plug wires. Downside? No not really, I don't honestly care. It is still a digital ignition system and it will run my motor in wasted spark reliably. Will I go back to BMW COPs? Maybe. My intentions are to run these coils to get the car running and tuned, because right now no one quite understands the BMW dwell timing and with a system such as mine there are too many variables to run the stock coils. I tried - the car wouldn't turn over and I got starter kickback - something was wrong. This will prove to be very user friendly and the funniest part is that the Electromotive Tec3R, although they will not tell you, is basically a user-configurable GM ecu. Anyone with a Tec3R on a M30 or M20 will show you their setup and it looks identical. My buddy had a Tec3R temp sensor fail and I told him to use a GM temp sensor for $7 and lo and behold its identical. So, maybe I revealed the truth behind Electromotive...maybe everyone is already aware - I don't honestly care. I just want to provide people with options!

I sanded the paint off the tops of the coils and renumbered them according to my engines firing order...I think it is correct:

http://blowneuroz.com/newmotor/gmcoil2.jpg

My engine fires 1 5 3 6 2 4, and so I have 1 and 6 on the same coil, 2 and 5, and 3 and 4 on the same coil, for wasted spark of course.

Maybe someone will find this helpful - thanks guys!

I managed to mount the coil pack in the car in an optimal spot. When I bought the coil on ebay, and in pictures, I though the thing was pretty small. It is, however, quite large! I ended up removing the aluminum bracket it came with and made a bracket myself.

http://blowneuroz.com/newmotor/gmcoil3.jpg

Obviously they are just mounted in that picture. The stock coils are still in place. I need to measure for spark plug wires and get those probably tomorrow night after work.

http://blowneuroz.com/newmotor/gmcoil4.jpg

I ended up removing that plastic harness cover that runs parallel to the rear hood seal, drilled 3 holes in it. Then, I took the original bolts and welded them to a piece of aluminum bar to hold them in place so I never have to worry about the bolts spinning behind there if I need to remove the coil packs. Works out great.

The hood closes and everything, no worries.

Ross
06-25-2006, 02:43 PM
Now I understand what you are up to. Almost. Can you explain for me how the coils are triggered? I think the wasted spark units fire three coils twice as often. With the BMW system wouldn't it fire only once? I'm having trouble understanding how this works. Or is the ecu you're using different.?
I'm not intending to do this but just curious. Thanks
Ross

Jon K
06-25-2006, 02:49 PM
thats ok Ross yeah I kind of just posted it to spark other peoples ideas. I am not using the stock BMW ecu. I am using MegaSquirt and it is setup as having only 3 spark outputs, thus wasted spark.

Ross
06-25-2006, 02:53 PM
Makes sense now.Thanks.

genphreak
06-25-2006, 04:17 PM
Nice one Jon. they look very schmick on your alloy plate. These packs are pretty common on GM cars the world over- all the classic Buick V6 engined cars I think have them (in Australia I think that means VN-VT Commodore). The MegaSquirt (http://www.megasquirt.org) works well with them in other applications too. With a turbo or a Supercharger, not just on (the multi-coiled L6) these are a great opton as you they allow spark control and hopefully a brighter spark...