PDA

View Full Version : Water-pump shaft snap!

High Compression II
06-25-2006, 11:32 AM
Anyone had a 'replacement' water-pump shaft snap and drop the pulley and fan into the radiator shroud?

This happened to me Friday night....

The pump had been replaced 6K miles ago, about 5 months motoring, due to the usual plastic impeller problem...

Its make is Meyle, according to their site, they are OEM suppliers....

Its fitted to a Diesel M51 engine, but could be used on the petrol/gasoline 6 pots as well...

The shaft had snapped off level with the pump case, just where the dust-seal of the bearing runs...

632 Regal
06-25-2006, 12:43 PM
this is usually from a bad waterpump bearing causing an off balance condition or something itself being off balance.

Avoid Geba water pumps...lol but I might add Mehle to the list.

hope it didnt trash yoyr radiator man.

joshua43214
06-25-2006, 01:09 PM
Never has a problem with Mahle parts, every one makes a bad part from time to time. Double check for a missing fan blade or something. Sorry to hear about your bad luck.

High Compression II
06-26-2006, 11:35 AM
Never has a problem with Mahle parts, every one makes a bad part from time to time. Double check for a missing fan blade or something. Sorry to hear about your bad luck.

Luckely, the radiator was completely untouched, which is more than I can say about the belly-pan and sound-proofing!

Apart from the pump, and the A/C belt as well as the Aux drive belt everything else looked OK. No damage to the fan or pulley, apart from some scratches to its outer edges.

One thing I did notice, was a 'water-pump noise a day or so before it happened, I couldnt locate the sound and dismissed the pump as it was so new. That'll teach me!

The replacement is also a Meyle pump.....Time will tell....!