PDA

View Full Version : Differential Woes

mholbrook
06-24-2006, 06:15 AM
Well, on my 4000 mile circuit trip from Boise, ID to Colorado, California and back to Idaho fell short of completion in Redding, CA when the differential decided to go south. I trailered the car home on the back of a Uhaul trailer and it is now in my garage. While it is mobile at about 5mph, the differential has to be replaced.

My shop swapped in a used 3.64 LSD about a month ago and maybe 2 weeks before I took off. They put in new seals and filled with redline and I figured life to be good for a long time. Now, I guess I'm going to have to put the 3.46 open back in if the companion shaft that was changed is any good.

Anyone have any advise, another LSD (preferably a 3.46 LSD out of a 535)?

632 Regal
06-24-2006, 06:59 AM
whats the problem with it? If the gears are good you can swap out the bearings from the open unit. Have to watch the preload on the pinion, thats the most important part.

http://www.bimmer.info/~regal632/rearend.html

mholbrook
06-24-2006, 08:27 AM
Whatever happens, and I have no doubt the LSD is completely toast, the Brothers Hurless in Boise are going to do the swap. I'm too old and "feeble" to crawl under there and do this again without a lift and trans jack etc.

It might be interesting to pull the cover and have a look but I doubt it could be saved without sending it off for a rebuild. Frankly at this stage, I just want the car back on the road for local trips. Have to rebuild some confidence.

632 Regal
06-24-2006, 01:12 PM
it really sucked when I paid someone to do it and they over tightened the pinion preload so I could actually do it myself...OR buy another unit and pay to have it done again.

I wish you the best!