PDA

View Full Version : Dash vinyl terminally sunburned- options?

Rob Edwards
06-23-2006, 03:40 PM
After 7 years in Texas and now SoCal, the parchment dash in my '95 iT is developing an area of brown 'burn' marks, which I'm sure is just chronic sun exposure. There's no cracking or waviness to the surface, just 'burnt'. I used to use Armour All on it, then Vinylex, but the last 2-3 years it's been pretty neglected. Short of tearing out the dash and replacing the entire upper dash panel, my guess is I've gotta live with it. These are the options I can come up with:

1- Does anyone make a dash cover for E34's? I've looked thru bavauto and BMPD, googled and ebayed everywhere, but have found nothing.

2- Has anyone ever seen vinyl dye? I suppose I could wash the hell out of it with Dawn to get out all the oils, dry, and dye it, but again, I can't find any BTDT experiences on this.

3- Find a replacement dash from a wrecking yard and re-install. Maybe when the heater core fails, but not till then....

4- Other ideas/suggestions? Thanks!

Oh- another question. The vinyl seats are in great shape, just dirty in spots- the worst is the arm rests. Anyone have a favorite cleaning protocol for vinyl seats? I need to get the finely ground goldfish cracker dust out of the back seats........

e39dream
06-23-2006, 05:43 PM
I have seen a nice looking cover for the e34 dash somewhere- I will post a link if I can recall where..

Tiger
06-23-2006, 05:50 PM
NEVER use Armor All! I don't like vinyl dash anyway... too reflective of sunlight. I use Dashmat covers... they are the best. I normally use the original... zero reflection. Don't buy Velour version... too reflective in certain direction... which defeats the purpose. Ultimat is the best... although I never owned it yet...

They have a new dashmat that is suede-like... called signature... looks very nice. Don't buy it at dashmat website... buy it at this site...

http://www.godashmat.com/Dashmat_dashcovers.asp

ska-texas
06-23-2006, 07:13 PM
Leatherique.com This stuff works miracles on leather and vinyl. It's been out for quite a while but until the internet was pretty much a high end restoration secret.