PDA

View Full Version : I'm stupid...

TheEndIsNear
06-23-2006, 10:08 AM
I was raceing the 525i last night and she did really well, I was happy with her. Now the bad news; This morning when I fired her up the valves were noiser than normal and shes burning oil (blue smoke). I wonder how often to do these m20's burn up valve guide seals? Hmmmm, did I bend a valve? Well I guess its time to baby the e34 till I can take the head and give her a once over. Lets hope the rings are intact. Guess I should check my plugs for oil... Blah!

Qube
06-23-2006, 10:33 AM
Excuse my ignorance :) ... but what kind of racing would one be able to do in a 525? ;)

GoldenOne
06-23-2006, 10:40 AM
not so fast type racing lol

632 Regal
06-23-2006, 11:03 AM
like running around a light pole with a shopping cart

liquidtiger720
06-23-2006, 11:25 AM
Excuse my ignorance :) ... but what kind of racing would one be able to do in a 525? ;)

Hey Hey Hey....

the m50's can hold thier own against honda civics! :D

kyleN20
06-23-2006, 11:28 AM
hes got an m20, a engine that was spunky and fun in the e30, but grossly underpowering in the e34

Incantation
06-23-2006, 12:03 PM
you should just baby it all the time. the e34 is a luxury saloon.. peppy at best. lots of fun to drive, handles nice, but not a race car, especially not on public roads. and most cars these days will embarass a 525 pretty easily

Alexlind123
06-23-2006, 12:17 PM
you should just baby it all the time. the e34 is a luxury saloon.. peppy at best. lots of fun to drive, handles nice, but not a race car, especially not on public roads. and most cars these days will embarass a 525 pretty easily

Saying that "you should just baby it [an e34] at all times" is an embarrassing display of ignorance on your part. If BMWs are not meant to be able to be driven hard every day, then i have had the wrong idea about them this whole time...

Mitch90535im
06-23-2006, 01:06 PM
then i have had the wrong idea about them this whole time...

True, plus as it has been stated many times here before, street racing is stupid. Find a track.

SC David
06-23-2006, 01:30 PM
I totally "raced" a new Acura TL and a mid 90's Corolla today. We were on a three lane stretch of divided road sitting at a stoplight. I was behind the Acura and the Corolla was next to us. The Corolla jammed it when the light turned green and the Acura got a late start, but for some reason decided to waste its gas on it and beat it to the next red light. This time, the middle lane was open, so I grabbed it. Light turned green, and everyone nailed it as it was the entrance to the freeway, with no merging. Just a slight left and straight onto highway 280. So, I TOTALLY kept up with the TL all the way until like 10mph when his FWD launching disadvantage was overwith. Unfortunately by 60 he had about 20 buslengths on me, and me and the Corolla were duking it out. I beat the Corolla by a few carlengths to 80mph, when I let off.

And THAT, is the only intentional "race" I have had to date. Moral of the story is that I still drove home in a BMW. And I'll take them in the twisties.

Paul in NZ
06-23-2006, 03:13 PM
thats all wel and good but driving hard doesnt always mean clutch burning starts and redline gearchanges...and that is NOT what an e34 is built for

Alexlind123
06-23-2006, 03:23 PM
thats all wel and good but driving hard doesnt always mean clutch burning starts and redline gearchanges...and that is NOT what an e34 is built for

I disagree. What is a redline for if not the point at which the engine achieves maximum power? Should one not enjoy their BMW to the fullest?

Clutch burning starts are a different matter entirely. Thats just abuse of a fine automobile.

Qube
06-23-2006, 03:28 PM
20 buslengths? Wow :)

Anyway, let's get back to the problem. Did you see if it was oil in the plugs?

TheEndIsNear
06-23-2006, 03:44 PM
OK, well I guess I need to clarify. I was not street racing, I was on a track. No I haven't gotten a chance to pull the plugs yet for I don't have a babysitter till later.

632 Regal
06-23-2006, 03:52 PM
come on man, he is plenty old enough to watch what dad is doing. My kid was helping (make a mess) still in diapers. The earlier you treat them like little people rather than "babies" "toddlers" and all that other crap women refer to the better. It keeps their mind open at all the "new" stuff they are seeing and really helps as they get older. The only need I ever wanted a babysitter for was when I entertained women...so i waited til it was bedtime for Juniors.

"ohh he is ___ months old" pure ********.

Im 504 months old. figure that **** in your head in an instant.

OK, well I guess I need to clarify. I was not street racing, I was on a track. No I haven't gotten a chance to pull the plugs yet for I don't have a babysitter till later.

TheEndIsNear
06-23-2006, 04:02 PM
Yeah, but I live in an apartment complex where the little ricer kids do 40mph in the parking lot... If I had a house with a yard or a grage it would be all good but the parking lot just isn't safe. One of the neighbors came home last night and was so ****ed up he pulled into the parking spot, over the curb, and into the barkdust.

TheEndIsNear
06-23-2006, 04:02 PM
And, for the record he's only 16 months.

Incantation
06-23-2006, 05:14 PM
you should be embarrased for opening your mouth when you know NOTHING, u fxckin tool

BMWs are not made to be beaten the **** out of on a daily basis. yea they have performance potential, but only an idiot (or someone with deep pockets) is going to be bagging on their car all the time.

outside of that he is driving a 525

FIVE TWENTY FIVE

IT IS SLOW. EVEN IF YOU DRIVE IT HARD IT"S NOT GETTING ANYWHERE QUICK.

are you ever fxcking dumb

Incantation
06-23-2006, 05:18 PM
see the problem with you is that you have no practical experience.. all your comments are based on speculation. you really need to stop posting and maybe read for a year or two (or however long it takes for you to get a clue)

engines aren't designed to achieve max power at redline. redline is the point where the reciprocating mass of the engine will be too much for motor to run reliably. peak power is always beneath this point, and anyone who hammers their redline on a regular basis is either driving a honda, an idiot, or understands mechanics and either is able to take care of the motor themself, or pay someone to do so

632 Regal
06-24-2006, 08:20 AM
lol, you mean a little over a year old. Ill agree that parking lot deal does suck.
And, for the record he's only 16 months.

McWatters
06-24-2006, 09:13 AM
How could any of u street race JESUS save your souls....

srry just trying to throw out the point, that i got burned to a crisp bout racing and now somehow everyone can openly talk about it.

cheers

J.McWatters

CharlesAFerg
06-24-2006, 09:32 AM

srry just trying to throw out the point, that i got burned to a crisp bout racing and now somehow everyone can openly talk about it.

cheers

J.McWatters

It's called fast and the furious. That's when it started.

...I wonder how many 240SXs were totallyed and/or bought the evening the stupid drift movie came out...?

Just a thought.
I hate those movies btw, if you couldn't tell already.

Mitch90535im
06-24-2006, 11:14 AM
...and now somehow everyone can openly talk about it.
J.McWatters

Not without being told it is stupid.

Nick.Hay
06-24-2006, 03:57 PM

What.. Like dragging the Las Vegas strip at dawn in a Z4 against Satan in a Camaro??

(a la BMW 'driver' films..)

TheEndIsNear
06-24-2006, 10:27 PM
Like I said, there was no street racing involved. Also, yes the 525 is not a super fast car, but it was well matched to what my friends were driving. You don't always have to have a fast car to have fun racing. Sometimes it's fun to take well matched slow cars on a hard course and just have some fun. I did pull the plugs and no oil, just a little carbon. After putting a new water pump on the truck I fired up the e34 today and get this; no smoke... The valves are still loud as hell but I don't think its all valve noise. I'm going to try to take a sound bite of it before the end of the weekend to get some advice from everyone. BTW, I used to street race years ago before Fast and Furious was a movie and before I became a parent. Every now and then I might race someone up one of the hills here but nothing to hardcore. We have a very active street/night racing scene here in Seattle and it's just gotten out of hand, people die.

Qube
06-24-2006, 10:39 PM
I was rechecking the thread and personally I mixed up SC_David's story with your general comment of 'racing'. I believe that many of our comments may be based on HIS story rather than your original post. Anyway, let's hear that sound bite!

Jon K
06-25-2006, 07:21 AM
see the problem with you is that you have no practical experience.. all your comments are based on speculation. you really need to stop posting and maybe read for a year or two (or however long it takes for you to get a clue)

engines aren't designed to achieve max power at redline. redline is the point where the reciprocating mass of the engine will be too much for motor to run reliably. peak power is always beneath this point, and anyone who hammers their redline on a regular basis is either driving a honda, an idiot, or understands mechanics and either is able to take care of the motor themself, or pay someone to do so

Actually the reason god made a redline higher than the peak power output is so you can rev past that peak output curve and find yourself close to it in the next gear.

You don't even ride your motorcycle properly.

Incantation
06-25-2006, 09:14 AM
actually, i didn't mention anything about "why" god made the redline higher than peak power, but thanks for pointing out the obvious, as always.

Traian
06-25-2006, 10:08 AM
Man are you in a bad mood! Crickey!!!

94_e34_525i
06-25-2006, 10:27 AM
I may be new to the forums but I know how to drive my M50 e34. Its not fast of the line its a car that is built for the freeway. I have kept up with Z4's and porsche 911's on the freeway, and I am not ********ting, they may pass me eventually because of higher top speed but no one in California goes above 120mph on the freeways no one dares (CHP). And if you want to beat people of the line I would recommend getting an M3 or M5, because frankly even the 540i sucks. This car is made for the autobahn not for the light to light confrantation.

SharkmanBMW
06-25-2006, 10:41 AM
I may be new to the forums but I know how to drive my M50 e34. Its not fast of the line its a car that is built for the freeway. I have kept up with Z4's and porsche 911's on the freeway, and I am not ********ting, they may pass me eventually because of higher top speed but no one in California goes above 120mph on the freeways no one dares (CHP). And if you want to beat people of the line I would recommend getting an M3 or M5, because frankly even the 540i sucks. This car is made for the autobahn not for the light to light confrantation.

ummm, I have to disagree on that, as will many others.
Yes, they are highway cruisers, but a 540 still kicks serious ass.

GoldenOne
06-25-2006, 10:54 AM
ok back on topic...Before mine died :( I heard a terrible ticking noise one night that sounded like the valves but it actually was the tip of one of the blades from the fan tapping against a little ridge of plastic on the inside of the shroud. Rotate the fan to see if you can hear where/if it is touching the shroud.

Jon K
06-25-2006, 12:14 PM
actually, i didn't mention anything about "why" god made the redline higher than peak power, but thanks for pointing out the obvious, as always.

The obvious, oh right. I could point out something so blatantly obvious right now, but I'll let it go! Have fun on your unicycle!

Incantation
06-25-2006, 07:18 PM
silly nerd you can say anything you want.. you're behind a computer. lack of consequences make even the biggest pussy feel like a big man with a big mouth.

t_marat
06-25-2006, 10:56 PM
For some reason people in this forum are starting to fight more and more frequently with each other.
Maybe high temps of summer are affecting the cooling system?

SC David
06-25-2006, 11:09 PM
silly nerd you can say anything you want.. you're behind a computer. lack of consequences make even the biggest pussy feel like a big man with a big mouth.
Wow, quite the negative attitude. I'm pretty sure you're behind a computer too, and no one cares about your toughguy internet persona, so don't go acting like you're any better. It just makes you sound like the bigger pussy.

You never seem to have anything to contribute to this forum but your snide remarks, and closeminded opinionated answers. It makes me wonder why you waste your time on these boards, because you already seem to know everything.

94_e34_525i
06-25-2006, 11:09 PM
ummm, I have to disagree on that, as will many others.
Yes, they are highway cruisers, but a 540 still kicks serious ass.

Thats nice but I know what I did and I dont really care if people dont beileve me, and for the record the 540i is nice but not as good as an M-series come on. And its easy for people on these forums with the nice rides to put us 525 owners down, but hey we got to start somewhere.:D

TheEndIsNear
06-26-2006, 06:25 PM
Thank you for that. I can't afford anything more than the 525 right now and
I'm quite content.

ryan roopnarine
06-26-2006, 06:28 PM
For some reason people in this forum are starting to fight more and more frequently with each other.
Maybe high temps of summer are affecting the cooling system?

leaves and dead bugs are getting stuck in the cooling fins of people's brain pans, and nobody is bothering to clean them out.

Jon K
06-26-2006, 06:55 PM
I want to see a pic of the 850 next to the E34...

t_marat
06-26-2006, 10:36 PM
I want to see a pic of the 850 next to the E34...
This is from Dubai:
http://www.goldenbellauctions.com/displaycar.asp?Id=4493
Car went for about 5000$.
exchange rate is 1$=3.67Drh

www.usedcars.ae

As far as I know Dubai is close to sea ports, so transporting to USA should not be very expensive.

Evan
06-26-2006, 10:50 PM
actually, jon, the redline is there because it's a pretty color... sorry to expose you in front of everyone like this... still love ya

Evan
06-26-2006, 10:51 PM
42... and still sexy

Jon K
06-27-2006, 02:08 AM
This is from Dubai:
http://www.goldenbellauctions.com/displaycar.asp?Id=4493
Car went for about 5000$.
exchange rate is 1$=3.67Drh

www.usedcars.ae

As far as I know Dubai is close to sea ports, so transporting to USA should not be very expensive.

I meant Incantations 8 next to his 5

Ausmpower
06-27-2006, 02:52 AM
I disagree. What is a redline for if not the point at which the engine achieves maximum power?

Umm.......... No the redline is not peak power..........the redline is the safe short duration engine rpm point.......... peak power in a stock M30 is around 5800 rpm.

Incantation
06-27-2006, 04:28 PM
nice try bud. i'm not some snot-nosed pencil neck internet turd who gets off on talking **** to others, as several here seem to enjoy doing to me. these are the kind of nerds that have everything to say online, but in person they keep very quiet because they know a fist will meet their face. i've seen their photos, and they fit the profile quite nicely.

i'm sure i have helped a lot more people on here with stuff than you have, so bite me.

Jon K
06-27-2006, 04:57 PM
nice try bud. i'm not some snot-nosed pencil neck internet turd who gets off on talking **** to others, as several here seem to enjoy doing to me. these are the kind of nerds that have everything to say online, but in person they keep very quiet because they know a fist will meet their face. i've seen their photos, and they fit the profile quite nicely.

i'm sure i have helped a lot more people on here with stuff than you have, so bite me.

Uh - ask the members on here whether or not i have anythign to say in public. kthxbye.

PS wheres the 850 next to E34 pic?

DaveVoorhis
06-27-2006, 05:15 PM
i'm not some snot-nosed pencil neck internet turd who gets off on talking **** to others, as several here seem to enjoy doing to me. these are the kind of nerds that have everything to say online, but in person they keep very quiet because they know a fist will meet their face.

Wow! My Irony meter just pegged the needle, and the Hypocricy indicator is deep into the red zone. You must have a very, very small penis.

Evan
06-27-2006, 06:04 PM
i'll beat all of you up

Jon K
06-27-2006, 06:08 PM
So does anyone else wnat to see his 850 next to his E34 or no?

Evan
06-27-2006, 06:11 PM
"...you can say anything you want.. you're behind a computer. lack of consequences make even the biggest pussy feel like a big man with a big mouth..."

oh the irony.

Gayle
06-27-2006, 06:24 PM
Yawn. Boring. If you have seen one pissing contest, you have seen them all.

I was suckered in by the number of posts on this thread, thinking it was something interesting. But no.

Now what is that I have learned from this thread? Thinking. Thinking. Thinking. Timed out.

And I apologize. I am sorry. Just couldn't hold myself back from being snotty.

Scott H
06-27-2006, 06:26 PM
and read all the "help" you think you have contributed to this forum. Your contributions are so poor that the summaries shown in the following link actually contain all of your "content".

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/search.php?do=finduser&userid=1015

Aside from your one line comments telling everyone to slam their rides and/or comments regarding appearance mods, this is the closest I can find to "help"

"try a search.. i recall about 8 months ago (i...
try a search.. i recall about 8 months ago (i think) someone posted a nice comprehensive fix to this.. "

" try searching the forums
try searching the forums"

" no offense, but cut ur hair u look like a tard
no offense, but cut ur hair u look like a tard"

"there's some german website that offers a coilover kit.. slams the car nicely..
unfortunately i can't remember the url but i will try to find it "

You should also stop with the threats and the name calling. You have made many physical threats over the course of your existence here. If something ever did happen, it could be construed to be premeditated, in which case you'd be screwed legally. All because a few people have called you out on what you consider to be "help" and "contribution" quality. They don't call you names, they just call you out on the carpet......and it really seems to get you riled up...

Blitzkrieg Bob
06-27-2006, 06:37 PM
I want to see a picture of a stunt standing on his head while balancing spinning plates at 100mph.

But then again the 850's cool too

Jon K
06-27-2006, 06:38 PM
Im waiting for pics of the 850 NEXT to the E34... for some reason with such a rarity, we've never seen them together.

After that picture I want to see Incantation doing his stupid wheelie down the highway with no helmet.

TheEndIsNear
06-27-2006, 10:34 PM
OK, so here's a short video of my engine. Dial up beware!!! Wait for the scary sound at the end of the clip. My valves cant be making all that noise, can they?

http://s65.photobucket.com/albums/h212/theendisnear069/?action=view&current=SickE34avi.flv

Gayle
06-27-2006, 11:03 PM
OK, so here's a short video of my engine. Dial up beware!!! Wait for the scary sound at the end of the clip. My valves cant be making all that noise, can they?

http://s65.photobucket.com/albums/h212/theendisnear069/?action=view&current=SickE34avi.flv

That was interesting. That was so interesting, I can hardly restrain myself from offering a guess even though I know nothing. I eagerly await the opinions of the knowledgeable.

TheEndIsNear
06-27-2006, 11:05 PM
Me too...

Jon K
06-27-2006, 11:14 PM
at first i didn't hear the noise you were talking about then at the end i hear it

if im hearing it correctly it sounds like a knocking which to me seemingly could be piston slap? Is it consuming oil and or smoking?

TheEndIsNear
06-27-2006, 11:20 PM
It blew a little blue smoke the other day after raceing but now not a drop... It is leaking a lil bit, but not bad. From standing next to it, it doesnt sound like a rod or anything but I'm not really sure. I dont seem to have any power loss and she fires right up everytime. Every now and again I do have a little hesitation off the line but she does have 252,000 miles.

632 Regal
06-27-2006, 11:31 PM
godamn adjust them rocker arms! (are they adjustable?) at least 2 are way loose. check the banjo bolts for looseness. other than the noises that are making me almost gag and run to the camode it sounds very much alive.

do some checking, maybe the eccentrics (me included) are worn in spots causing noise.

Anthony (M5 in Calgary)
06-27-2006, 11:53 PM

Sounds like a bearing, maybe in the alternator. The noise seemed to come from the front of the engine. Try localizing the noise by pressing a 2' length of dowel (broom handle or the like) to various places and listening at the opposite end. Watch you don't put the stick into rotating assemblies.

632 Regal
06-27-2006, 11:54 PM
well if it slips he wont hear any offending noises at least...i think.

edit: well maybe 1 loud one.

Sounds like a bearing, maybe in the alternator. The noise seemed to come from the front of the engine. Try localizing the noise by pressing a 2' length of dowel (broom handle or the like) to various places and listening at the opposite end. Watch you don't put the stick into rotating assemblies.

Anthony (M5 in Calgary)
06-28-2006, 12:07 AM
well if it slips he wont hear any offending noises at least...i think.

edit: well maybe 1 loud one.

Only if he's a nerd.;)

632 Regal
06-28-2006, 12:15 AM
I hope he wont do that...nerds wont do that will they?

Only if he's a nerd.;)

TheEndIsNear
06-28-2006, 12:21 AM
Lol, I actually have the automotive stethoscope used for that, just need to have time to pick it up. I hate it when people burrow **** and don't return it...

Gayle
06-28-2006, 12:40 AM
The noise seemed to come from the front of the engine.

That is how it sounded to me also.

BigKriss
06-28-2006, 04:24 AM
I like your posts Incantation - stick around.

Ausmpower
06-28-2006, 05:03 AM
Sounds like it's from the front of the engine to me too.

Water pump bearing? or A/c drive belt tensioner bearing?

When was your timing belt last done? timing belt tensioner bearing?

Sounds to me like one of those.

Incantation
06-28-2006, 02:41 PM
why don't you find an example of the "many" physical threats too?. be a little more realisitc you little shxt.

and what you don't see are all the emails and pm's i get asking how to do stuff. your gf jonk has even emailed me. just ask her.

Jon K
06-28-2006, 02:44 PM
why don't you find an example of the "many" physical threats too?. be a little more realisitc you little shxt.

and what you don't see are all the emails and pm's i get asking how to do stuff. your gf jonk has even emailed me. just ask her.

I asked you how the ebay mirrors fit - guess what you replied with? Yeah they fit ok I just messed with some stuff. Wow thanks for that!!! w00.

Pics of 850 and E34 in same photo plz.

Incantation
06-28-2006, 03:00 PM
uh?

ps this stinks of "i don't believe you own both cars"

what a child. here's a couple photos for you with the stuntbike too. and if you don't believe i own a cr50 i will also take a photo of it with my balls planted firmly on the seat (i'll pretend it's your chin). let me know.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/1/web/733000-733999/733738_105_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/1/web/733000-733999/733738_106_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/1/web/733000-733999/733738_107_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/1/web/733000-733999/733738_103_full.jpg

Incantation
06-28-2006, 03:02 PM
thanks dude

Jon K
06-28-2006, 03:05 PM
thanks dude

That PC stinks of 1991 - you dropped your bike!

kyleN20
06-28-2006, 03:52 PM
this post is FILLED with irony

TheEndIsNear
06-28-2006, 08:30 PM
New water pump and T-belt last year.

SC David
06-29-2006, 03:30 AM
New water pump and T-belt last year.
I've got a slight coolant leak and my water pump needs replacing. How much did that run you, if you still remember?

TheEndIsNear
06-29-2006, 07:48 AM
Previous owner had an indy do them.