PDA

View Full Version : Vibration/Suspension???

SilverFive90
06-23-2006, 06:02 AM
'87 325i Convertible

Hi All,
Question.....just recently had 4 new tires put on the car, yes I'm still pushing 14's, ....the brakes were done some time before that, but I rarely drive the car....it's been sitting most of the winter and spring.

Anyway, today I had to take it and as I'm driving, the steering wheel is shaking like a cold baby.....accelerate-same thing, slowing down-even worse. I watched the mechanic balance the tires and do the alignment. The rocker arms were replaced about 2 years ago, but again, I don't drive this car often. I remember the last mechanic I had said that rotors will sometimes pit if you leave the car sitting exposed to elements so I'm wondering if that has something to do with it.....braking is by far the worst, but even on the drive the steering wheel is constantly moving. Any suggestions??

joshua43214
06-24-2006, 11:08 AM
Letting a car sit is oneof the worst things you can do unfortunatley. Its possible you have flat spots on the tires and pitted rotors. The tires should "straighten" out if you drive it a bit, but if the rotors pitted, you will need to replace or machine them. Offcar machining can be chancy since some shops can't mount the rotor properly and end up cutting runnout into the rotor. Usualy its best to just replace sice they are cheap.

I go through this every time I use my truck since I only drive it a handful of times a year and the tires always have flat spots, really sucks on a 1ton flatbed dually.

SilverFive90
06-27-2006, 11:14 AM
Letting a car sit is oneof the worst things you can do unfortunatley. Its possible you have flat spots on the tires and pitted rotors. The tires should "straighten" out if you drive it a bit, but if the rotors pitted, you will need to replace or machine them. Offcar machining can be chancy since some shops can't mount the rotor properly and end up cutting runnout into the rotor. Usualy its best to just replace sice they are cheap.

I go through this every time I use my truck since I only drive it a handful of times a year and the tires always have flat spots, really sucks on a 1ton flatbed dually.

Good advice....I replaced the tires so I think they're ok...but I think I do need to have the rotors checked....I haven't driven it much since the last repair which was the rotors and some other things, but I've literally put about 200 miles on it since April of last year.