PDA

View Full Version : Should the shaft of my auto shifter be so hot

McWatters
06-22-2006, 07:35 PM
When driving today for some strange reason i touched the tube part of my auto shifter and it was super hot, almost to hott to touch. Is this normal, or is something horrible happening

cheers

J.McWatters

BillionPa
06-22-2006, 07:48 PM
hell no that isnt normal!

liquidtiger720
06-22-2006, 08:04 PM
Uhhh....Mine does that sometimes?

Qube
06-22-2006, 08:48 PM
Freak. Must be late in the night. The way you worded that just isn't kosher :)

On that note, my shaft is hot too, though I've got a manual tranny and it gets more action than yours.

Alexlind123
06-22-2006, 09:24 PM
When was the last time you changed your fluid and filter?

mamilapon
06-23-2006, 02:31 AM
When was the last time you changed your fluid and filter?
That's exatly what i was going to ask. I've noticed when i change my fluid the shaft temp goes right down, except if you are in heavy traffic. But then again a shaft that is so hot you cant touch it...could be a little extra slipping going on, or your radiator isn't cooling the fluid enough..

genphreak
06-23-2006, 03:37 AM
That's exatly what i was going to ask. I've noticed when i change my fluid the shaft temp goes right down, except if you are in heavy traffic. But then again a shaft that is so hot you cant touch it...could be a little extra slipping going on, or your radiator isn't cooling the fluid enough..When the car isn't moving (ie in slow traffic), all the tranny heat is sunk into the radiator, which blows it back through the engine bay and down the sides of the tranny and not over the top. Yes heat in the case of the tranny goes up and heats the floor pan/tunnel area, but that is not the culprit. The exhausts which are running at 300 degrees or something silly like that are... my theory is that most of the heat from them goes up into the tunnel area above the trans and makes anything attached to the tunnel very hot. If you pry your console up, you will find some rubber boots - they might have a gap around the wires they are supposed to be sealing- I expect these let the heat in and slowly roast your console in traffic. The whole gear selector is right there- and it is connected to the tunnel itself also. Check this first and also make sure you don't have too much oil in the tranny, but I really think what you are dealing with is at least 90% exhaust heat no matter what.

Are you talking city driving or highway?

JerseySi
06-23-2006, 04:18 AM
Mine gets slightly warm after a while, nowhere near hot or too hot to touch though..
I guess all my driving could be classed as 'city' - 100,000 cars on an island 9x5 miles - you dont often get chance to go fast!

genphreak
06-23-2006, 05:25 AM
Mine gets slightly warm after a while, nowhere near hot or too hot to touch though..
I guess all my driving could be classed as 'city' - 100,000 cars on an island 9x5 miles - you dont often get chance to go fast!Heh, sounds tough dude, can you stretch her legs anywhere there? Love the sig pic ;) neat'n'sleeeeeek!