PDA

View Full Version : Bmw 530i M30 Misfire

sixpotbeemer
06-22-2006, 04:14 PM
Hey guys, posted a post a while ago about putting a 730i M30 Auto engine into my 530i E34 Manual, it has now been done, 730i engine bolted onto my 530i gearbox/flywheel. It is running rough, changed sprk/plugs, checked the distribitor, put the HT leads from the old engine on (which were OK!!!), it has the same HT Coil as the old engine. The OLD Engine run great, just blew a head gasket (Due to a Crap Mechanic fitting a Water Pump with no proper gasket, or now am told!!!)) DOH Had this engine from the 730i put in as it was cheaper than a head-off job and it has done less mileage. The OLNY Problem is it is missing like F****????? One observation is, the very thin pipe that attaches to the PCV (Positive Cranckcase Ventilation) pipe from the rocker cover has broken, the main thick pipe is ok but the thin pipe has a massive gap in it, I can't trace it but it seems to originate from the manifold, please help me. The guy who fitted the engine is looing at it on sat, but if anyone can suggest anyhting that would be swell!!! Cheers you guys, and DON'T forget BMW's RULE, end of story!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BillionPa
06-22-2006, 07:18 PM
one of the spark plug wires switched?

632 Regal
06-22-2006, 07:18 PM
fix the leaks, make sure theres no oil in the plug region and maybe/probably replace the plug boots. what distributer???

BillionPa
06-22-2006, 07:46 PM
well, he said its an M30.......

i dunno either!

Karl
06-22-2006, 08:24 PM
Ditto what Regal said. Vacuum leaks will really make it idle rough and be real tempermental in the off-idle transition. Remember the whole crankcase runs at a vacuum because of that breather tube connected to the throttle body so any seal could be a vacuum leak. I chased a lot of ghosts before I found a split in that breather hose.

genphreak
06-23-2006, 03:17 PM
well, he said its an M30.......

i dunno either!Your engine is an M30B30, M30s came in many different capacities, for example the 3.5 is an M30B35.

Yours should be an easy fix. The hose goes down through the manifold pipes and connects to the underside of the plenum chamber- by feeling around with your hand behind it from the other side (ie snaking your hand down and up under the manifold beside the oil canister you will be able to pull the old hose off. A metre of new hose will do, I think it is 3mm Internal Diameter, just pull the one that tee-s into the valve cover hose (vent hose) to see. Replace the one that runs from beside where this one feeds from the manifold connects to the Fuel Pressure Regulator up top also, it is larger internal diameter- maybe 4mm. Each are only 2' Long or so. Check also that the brake booster hose has no leaks- it feeds from the inlet manifold- but up ontop where it is easy to get to...

632 Regal
06-23-2006, 04:06 PM
mattering what part if the f_king world he is from a 530 is a V8 which is a M60...there is no distributer so im done with this thread til we know a little more.

sixpotbeemer
06-23-2006, 05:30 PM
My baby has the 2986cc M30 in line six music masterpiece. The 530i engine taken from my motor (blown head gasket) was 9.0 to 1 comp ratio 530i motor 188bhp, the 730i dropped into my motor is the 9.2 to 1 comp ratio motor with 197bhp. This is the same 9.2 to comp ratio that afforded the 635csi with 220bhp as appose to the 535i e34 of 211bhp, big deal ay!!! My engine still running rough, hopefully fixed 2moz by the fella who dropped the engine in!!!

632 Regal
06-23-2006, 05:52 PM
ok so your from another country which remains a mystery, the engine then remain a mystery and nobody can do the reasearh you should do for yourself to help you isolate the problem.

"hey guys i have a 32 hp deisel lawnmower, its missing help me"

sixpotbeemer
06-23-2006, 06:30 PM
Hey mister Regal, you are a funny fella, thought all BM owners were form the same country because we appreciate the quality of the motors from Bavaria, because that is why we are on this chat group trying to help each other!!! I don’t have a lawnmower but maybe when I acquire one I should consult your good self!!

I am from the UK (England, Wales actually, not the ones that swim around, a suburb of the UK for your liking) by the way, anyway, we don't make very good cars nowadays that's why I have a BMW!!! Why do you drive one fella!!

genphreak
06-23-2006, 07:27 PM
Hey mister Regal, you are a funny fella, thought all BM owners were form the same country because we appreciate the quality of the motors from Bavaria, because that is why we are on this chat group trying to help each other!!! I don’t have a lawnmower but maybe when I acquire one I should consult your good self!!

I am from the UK (England, Wales actually, not the ones that swim around, a suburb of the UK for your liking) by the way, anyway, we don't make very good cars nowadays that's why I have a BMW!!! Why do you drive one fella!!Don't worry about Jeff bro, heeez juz driunk :) Hic. Awww heck well so am I ;)

Hey 200bhp sounds like an improvement. Since when was Wales England anyway? Isn't that just a construct to fend them off?

I heard you guys were going to get off ya bums'n'abolish the Queen before we do over here in Oz? Its about time you fought the poms off I reckon... (POMs- Prefferred ol' mates in Oz lingo), not that the poms are really so prefferred anymore- its strange but our rulers act that way but all the while their mates are selling the country to Asian and the US and they aren't exactly representative anwyay, we have no constitution, no President and now we have lost our Senate, (it lies gagged and bound at the back of the Parliament), let alone an unrepresentative Government with a majority... just like Wales perhaps? BTW, look out ofr Aussie pollies visiting you soon; it is 'Summer Recess' (Holidays in Pollie-speak) so they are all off on taxpayer funded trips with their families 'researching' in Resorts and expensive locations all over the world- on behalf of their consitiuents of course...

632 Regal
06-23-2006, 07:30 PM
ahhhh! the UK! I have a lot of friends that reside in the UK.

Now that we know where the f_ck you are we can now realize you have a euro engine 3.0 litre I6 which is far from the norm of the forums US presence of major help and mechanics.

sorry if I have offended you in going out of my way in prying the pertinent information out of your clenching grip in order to try to help you. Now that your information after your insult you can be helped by any of the other people.

PUT YOUR INFO IN YOU PROFILE MAN!

Have a great day.

genphreak
06-23-2006, 07:34 PM
And post some pics too... so we can see what you have done. Sounds liek a good move regardless. The last of the E32s had the best M30 engines I believe. :) Nick

sixpotbeemer
06-24-2006, 05:42 PM
Hiya Regal man, sorry I think we got off on the worng foot, we are all here for the fantstic BM'w after all!!! Shud have stated me in the UK because they didn't do the 2986 six in the five (e34) in the states, well I think, it is a difficult motor to find here (UK) anyway, particulary on a manual gearbox! My engine is still missing like F****. Cheers Fella CRAIG

sixpotbeemer
06-24-2006, 05:56 PM
And post some pics too... so we can see what you have done. Sounds liek a good move regardless. The last of the E32s had the best M30 engines I believe. :) Nick

cheers fella will post pics, love these motors, when I eliminate the misfire I will give it an Autoglym Resin Polish and post the pics for your interest, my motor is an 89 and it aint rusting at all!!!!!!

632 Regal
06-24-2006, 06:31 PM
Ok Craig, does your engine have a distribter/rotor/wires setup or seperate coilpacks with plug boots? What spark plugs are you running? When did the miss start as in anything you did before this happened?

sixpotbeemer
06-25-2006, 03:53 AM
The engine has a distributor, with rotor arm, wires and single coil. The leads are sounds because they came off my old engine as is the coil. Put the distributor off my old engine yesterday and it is worse, on my way now to put the old rotor off my old engine and see what happens!! Just renewed the old plugs with spec Champion single core coppers with 0.8 gap. When I renewed them, the spark plug from no4 cylinder was wet with petrol. Cheers Jeff

genphreak
06-25-2006, 05:15 AM
The engine has a distributor, with rotor arm, wires and single coil. The leads are sounds because they came off my old engine as is the coil. Put the distributor off my old engine yesterday and it is worse, on my way now to put the old rotor off my old engine and see what happens!! Just renewed the old plugs with spec Champion single core coppers with 0.8 gap. When I renewed them, the spark plug from no4 cylinder was wet with petrol. Cheers JeffSo number 4 is not firing. But the injector is working... best make sure the wires are round the right way, number 1 is at the front, adn all the corresponding cylinders are marked on the cap in such a way you can barely see them, (it is best to compare off the old one).

btw, if the leads die the chances are quite high that they will do so at the time you are pulling them off or putting them back on again... but you can just use one of the old ones if you need. Sounds like you'll be back on the road soon... :)

632 Regal
06-25-2006, 07:21 AM
I agree, most likely a lead or plug. put an extra plug it the end of the lead and see if it sparks when grounded and the engine is running, this will help isolate where the problem is coming from. If it sparks then its a bad plug, if it dont its the lead ot farther up the chain.

sixpotbeemer
06-25-2006, 07:49 AM
cheers for your input fellas. Just changed rotor arm, no difference, also pulled out number 4 plug looks ok, normal combustion signs, not wet with petrol??!! as before, I am really scratching my head now!! Have checked the firing order/order of the leads, that is fine. As this engine came of an auto box and has been dropped onto my manual box (the TPS has been retained from my old engine) could there be a sensor or vacumn pipe astray somewhere??

joshua43214
06-25-2006, 08:51 AM
Use a pair of insulated spark plug plyers and with the engine running, remove and replace each wire until you get to the cylinder that is misfiring. You will be able to hear the spark arcing when the wire is held near the plug, so you will easily be able to determine if if is spark related or not.

This will isolate the misfirring cylinder far better than any other method, You can then proceed with normal misfire diagnosis, check for spark, injector pulse, vacuum leaks etc at the affected cylinder.

Incantation
06-25-2006, 07:28 PM
i'm curious as to why you feel it's ok that you have to pay for that fxcktard mechanic's mistake. if he's not going to make up for it somehow you should at least pay him a visit after business hours and take some teeth in exchange
(voluntarily or involuntarily)

sixpotbeemer
06-27-2006, 02:58 AM
Heys guys, engine still tough!! Pulled all plug leads, the only one that didn't make a difference to the running was no6. Pulled lead to check spark, spark looks good. Pulled the plug and guess what no combustion, plug clean! Coincidently, as the leads were pulled, it made the greatest difference as I approached no1 cyliner so made a drop in pressure across the rail??

Morgenster
06-27-2006, 04:51 AM
Heys guys, engine still tough!! Pulled all plug leads, the only one that didn't make a difference to the running was no6. Pulled lead to check spark, spark looks good. Pulled the plug and guess what no combustion, plug clean! Coincidently, as the leads were pulled, it made the greatest difference as I approached no1 cyliner so made a drop in pressure across the rail??

Fuel pressure regulator or fuel pump then?
Or just a bad rail/injectors.

Ross
06-27-2006, 04:54 AM
Pressure across rail ought to be even unless your pressure is so low one injector opening depletes available fuel. Are you able to check pressure? I'm not sure if your motor has a port to do so or not. You did replace the plug wires as you checked, right sorry had to be sure. The wires are all in the correct spot? No vac. leaks? I hope your wrench has the cam timed right.

sixpotbeemer
06-28-2006, 06:32 AM
EURIKA!! problem solved, took the motor for a diagnostic, explained the situation and my discoveries with the no6 cylinder, 5 minutes later car running sweet!! problem was the no6 injector wasn't plugged in eh!!!! sometimes it is the simplest of things LOL!!

632 Regal
06-28-2006, 08:42 AM
congrats!