PDA

View Full Version : Forum Colors and Bolding

Gayle
06-22-2006, 04:23 AM
Call me stupid but after a year hanging out here I still don't totally get what the colors and bolding are suppose to tell me.

I know that stuff I haven't read is blue and stuff I have read is red. The newest stuff is bold. How does it decide to switch from bold (new) to not bold (not new)?

I don't think it is a today vs. yesterday thing, because currently some of today's new threads are not bolded. And sometimes when I check in multiple times during a day I notice things that I plan to read but haven't yet switch from bold to not bold.

And why are some names in red in a group of names like in a poll (http://www.bimmer.info/forum/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=141)?

Sometimes I think it is people that I have exchanged private messages recently, but in this poll example there are people in red that I haven't pm'd for 9 months and other people that I have pm'd more recently that are in blue.

And in advance, just let me say doh.

Bruce Kennett
06-22-2006, 05:36 AM
Call me stupid but after a year hanging out here I still don't totally get what the colors and bolding are suppose to tell me.

i've only been here since april and have been thoroughly confused by this. i i am only now starting to "get it."

I know that stuff I haven't read is blue and stuff I have read is red. The newest stuff is bold. How does it decide to switch from bold (new) to not bold (not new)?

i think it is triggered on a per-visit basis. you look at the site and read only one post. next time you go back ALL the bold posts have gone to roman weight from bold, because as far as the browser is concerned, they're now old news. is this so?

And why are some names in red in a group of names like in a poll (http://www.bimmer.info/forum/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=141)?

Sometimes I think it is people that I have exchanged private messages recently, but in this poll example there are people in red that I haven't pm'd for 9 months and other people that I have pm'd more recently that are in blue.

haven't a clue (clew?) on these.

yeah, ditto.

bruce

632 Regal
06-22-2006, 06:16 AM
i just start at the top each time.

califblue
06-22-2006, 08:44 AM
never noticed...but then I don't care...

I never apologize, I’m sorry but that’s the way I am.

Jay 535i
06-22-2006, 11:45 AM
I frequently visit another forum that runs the same software as this one, and my experiences on that other forum make me think this one doesn't work quite right.

This site often seems to 'forget' what I have or haven't read. Sometimes I'll go to my User CP and see a bunch of subscribed threads with new posts. I'll look at one of them, then go back to the User CP and the list is empty, when it should still list the other threads I haven't yet read.

I think the cookies aren't working quite right. Or maybe I don't get how it's supposed to work. But, as I said, the other site I visit seems to work perfectly and totally intuitively, while this site never seems to keep good track of what I have or haven't read.

Oh, and as far as I know, the site only bolds threads with unread posts. It doesn't change read threads to red. That's your browser doing that, Gayle.

Alexlind123
06-22-2006, 02:40 PM

I don't think it is a today vs. yesterday thing, because currently some of today's new threads are not bolded. And sometimes when I check in multiple times during a day I notice things that I plan to read but haven't yet switch from bold to not bold.

The red means you have clicked on the post. The bold means that there is a post on that thread that you havent seen yet.

Gayle
06-22-2006, 07:00 PM
So it sounds like no one else has a clue either why it lists some peoples name in red and others in blue.

SharkmanBMW
06-22-2006, 07:08 PM
People on your Christmas list???!!!

or do I need to say "Holiday" list?!!

winfred
06-22-2006, 07:22 PM
yea that's the answer that best fits

never noticed...but then I don't care...

I never apologize, I’m sorry but that’s the way I am.

632 Regal
06-22-2006, 07:27 PM
is you weekend over so I can stop trying to beat your # of posts yet?

yea that's the answer that best fits

winfred
06-22-2006, 08:07 PM
been home since 5pm yesterday, took today off to return the trailer (still have the table on the truck, ill fork lift it off tomorrow) and while screwing off discovered lowes had finished 5/16 oak flooring on clearence for $47 a box of 40sqft normally $120, so i got a lowes card to get the 0% for a year and 10% off 1st time you use it and bought 920sqft (i ****ing hate carpet) of it and strapped it under the pool table on the truck, 1150 pounds of oak in addition to whatever the slate bed table weighs (took 5 of us to load it, we stood it on it's end and mom backed the truck under it) only barely got the beast on the helper springs and made for a smooth ride home :D

is you weekend over so I can stop trying to beat your # of posts yet?

genphreak
06-23-2006, 07:17 PM
So it sounds like no one else has a clue either why it lists some peoples name in red and others in blue.In this case it is the profile's you have read before that are in red. The blue ones have not been viewed before- or for as best as that browser can remember: It can decide how to display these to you (ie Blue or Red) through the use of cookies- data files full of text about where you have been clicking (and other things) that your browser shares with the forum server at Ed's palace (woops I meant to say place :D).

However it is not perfect (as forums are a pretty 'stretched' use of HyperText Markup Language), cos links you clicked on a long time ago can be forgotten depending on your cookie handling settings (in FireFox for Windows this is under Tools>Options>Privacy and or on how long the server sets the cookies to last.

:) Nick