PDA

View Full Version : Air Conditionning

ld06000
06-22-2006, 04:05 AM
for those who experience issues with old A/C using R12 gas:
from the forum:

http://www.eurocarparts.com/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=3414

"R12 has been obselete since 1991 although i believe it was still used in car A/C this been due to the fact that the U.K and some parts of Europe being the first to outlaw the ozone depleting refrigerant, most other countries followed suit by 96. if you have a car registered after 94 it should have R134a in the A/C - usually has a green dye added so that leaks can be spotted.

some vehicles could possibly have R22 added - if registered 92 - 94.

If you have an R12 A/C system - commonly known as freon!! and it becomes short of refrigerant you DONT have to spend buckets of money getting the oil flushed out and new valves fitted etc etc, a DROP-IN refrigerant has been around since 1992 and is used commonly in commercial refrigeration systems, this refrigerant is safe to add to your A/C and will cause no harm whatsoever as it will run no problem alongside the charge of mineral oil in the compressor.

If you take your vehicle to a garage and they say you have to get it degassed blah blah blah - take my advice and dont let them rip you off - the trouble is that the guys doing the job are mechanics and not REFRIGERATION engineers. what to do is phone a few local refrigeration companies or stop someone if you know who to look for who will be able to recharge your system (after repairing the leak) i myself used to do it (on the side) for twenty quid!!

the refrigerants to use are: R409, R413 OR R401. AND NOT R407C! "

632 Regal
06-22-2006, 06:26 AM
r409a is not compatable it gets too cold and will freeze the evaporator, it also needs different oil for the compressor.

is NOT a drop in fix.

I am a certified frigeration tech and tried the 409 in my own truck, sure its cold as the arctic but cycling it to keep the evap clear is retarted.

409 is the closest replacement to r12, the other gasses i would have to look up but doubt they are any better.

Bill R.
06-22-2006, 06:34 AM
compatible with the existing oil and seals such as freeze 12 but the Laws here require that all systems using alternates be converted and labeled as such.

r409a is not compatable it gets too cold and will freeze the evaporator, it also needs different oil for the compressor.

is NOT a drop in fix.

I am a certified frigeration tech and tried the 409 in my own truck, sure its cold as the arctic but cycling it to keep the evap clear is retarted.

409 is the closest replacement to r12, the other gasses i would have to look up but doubt they are any better.