PDA

View Full Version : AC and Power

cableface
06-21-2006, 09:02 PM
Well, as many of you know. I got the car back from having the AC worked on (Hmmm...). I havent owned the car long and had never driven it with the AC actually working. Well, I have noticed a marked difference in performance (Power) when the AC is on. Is this normal for this car? I know that I have a slight vaccum leak which may be the problem but maybe not. What are your guys' thoughts?

Ross
06-21-2006, 09:20 PM
Very noticable difference in my wheezy little 2.5 with the a/c on.

MBXB
06-21-2006, 09:20 PM
My car loses 2+ mpg with the AC running.

632 Regal
06-21-2006, 09:45 PM
a 2.5 can power an AC compressor??

cableface
06-21-2006, 09:49 PM
Wow, that's really disappointing. I'd expect a difference in mileage but such a difference in power is a surprise. I've seen large margins like this in cars like Saturns and the like, but my Honda shows only a minimal difference. Okay, now wail on me for comparing a BMW to a Saturn... come on I can take it.

nuclearfusion
06-21-2006, 10:44 PM
A guy I know uses his A/C only when driving downhill. Seriously. Off for flat or uphill grades, on for downhill. He claims increased engine braking, no noticeable loss in mileage, decreased brake wear, and A/C benefits (comfortable cabin) without much loss of mileage or increased cost.

I'm not sure I think that is such a great idea myself (ie: potentially increased wear on A/C components such as compressor with short and irregular duty cycle, etc. ) but there are some worthwhile points to consider in there.

Enjoy!

Fusion

ThoreauHD
06-21-2006, 10:56 PM
I can notice a difference on my V8. It's a smaller V8, but still a performance drop can be felt. Feels like when I had the OE ECU chip in there.. just not peppy- but still smooth.

skr
06-22-2006, 05:44 AM
come on guys, stop complaining. i've driven a daewoo matiz, 0.8 l, inline 3, with about 48 hp and i didconected AC when i had to pass someone in busyer trafic. it seemed to cut the power in half... without AC it was a beast :)

Qube
06-22-2006, 06:03 AM
Definitely noticable. Off the line like a snail. Passing requires much higher rev when dropping gear.

cableface
06-22-2006, 07:51 AM
Thanks, well at least I know this is normal now.

mikell
06-22-2006, 07:59 AM
A guy I know uses his A/C only when driving downhill. Seriously. Off for flat or uphill grades, on for downhill. He claims increased engine braking, no noticeable loss in mileage, decreased brake wear, and A/C benefits (comfortable cabin) without much loss of mileage or increased cost.

I'm not sure I think that is such a great idea myself (ie: potentially increased wear on A/C components such as compressor with short and irregular duty cycle, etc. ) but there are some worthwhile points to consider in there.

Enjoy!

Fusion

A/C is essential equipment here - where it's not only hot, it's flat! And, did I mention humid? It's worth all the power it takes, IMHO.

Stay cool.

cableface
06-22-2006, 10:56 AM
A/C is essential equipment here - where it's not only hot, it's flat! And, did I mention humid? It's worth all the power it takes, IMHO.

Stay cool.
I agree 100%! Tex-Ass is Hell. The heat and humidity is awful. Even with the powerloss and the 500 buck AC repair, it's worth having a cool car. I pity many of the Hispanics around here. Many have old Fords and Chevys with no AC. How do they do it??? My friend says he uses mexican air conditioning. He and his family roll the windows up and sweat like hell, then roll them down to cool off after about 10 mins... LOL

GoldenOne
06-22-2006, 11:07 AM
kinda wierd, I just noticed this correlations also the other day both loss in power and mpg, and florida is way worse then texas!

cableface
06-22-2006, 12:47 PM
kinda wierd, I just noticed this correlations also the other day both loss in power and mpg, and florida is way worse then texas!
Depending on where you are in TX, yes FL may be worse, but not worse than Houston:(