PDA

View Full Version : Gearbox

t_marat
06-21-2006, 08:40 PM
Sometimes shifting into first gear is difficult. I have to really push it, or put it first into second gear and then to first, this way no problem.
This isn't always, but only from time to time. And I think I don't have that problem after driving for a while, it starts to shift smoothly.

The oil is Mobil ATF 220.

Ross
06-21-2006, 09:01 PM
Is the problem you are describing when you are decelerating?
When you are slowing and you push on the lever do you hear things whirring?
Your pic shows snow, is this concurrent with a temp drop?
Touching second gear speeds up the input shaft and makes the work of the first gear synchronizer much easier.
If I understand the scenario properly It sounds to me like worn synchros or to heavy or contaminated gear oil. Or perhaps a clutch not disengaging completely.Does it go into gear OK while standing still?
Since it improves with driving(temp) I would try fresh gear oil appropriate for your climate.

t_marat
06-22-2006, 04:00 AM
It usually happens while starting to move from standstill, but also when braking to near standstill and engaging the first gear. In both cases putting to second first makes the problem dissappear.
Oil had been changed in February. Before it was Esso ATF.
Back in winter it was very cold. Sometimes -40C (-40F). Now its very hot, up to +42C (+90F, so far).
Pressing on a lever you mean pressing on a clutch? If yes, no, no whirring.
When I have problems engaging the first gear, I don't hear or feel any grinding on the gearbox shift handle. Its just difficult to push it to the position of a first gear.

Ausmpower
06-22-2006, 04:33 AM
How many Km on your car?

It can be caused by worn shift linkages and mounts. I had the same problem with my E28, replacing the shifter bushes fixed it.

also consider using Redline ATF, my E34 never baulks on downshifts with 265,000 km on it.

Ross
06-22-2006, 05:56 AM
Good point I forget how the bushings go to **** after a long time.Haven't had a gearbox for a while.
T marat, is the gearshift wobbly as hell? If so Ausmpower has your answer.

t_marat
06-22-2006, 09:21 AM
Mileage is 235 000km, thats about 146 000miles.
I wouldn't say it wobbles. But I tried moving around the shifter in another BMW (which was being sold), and it shifts shorter and more firmly. Do not know if it has a short shifter kit installed, don't think the seller knew either.

Jay 535i
06-22-2006, 11:40 AM
Have you tried lightly blipping the throttle as you slot first? That also makes the synchro's job easier.

You say that things improve once the transmission is warmed up. It's perfectly normal for things to be a bit sticky/notchy until then.

You also say that you slot first "when braking to near standstill." In my experience that upsets the gearbox on any car, not just a worn-out one. Don't try shifting into first unless the car is completely stopped. If you must, then blip the throttle as you move the lever and things should be smoother.

You know your car, so you're in a better position to judge if this is a new problem or if it's always been that way. FWIW, though, what you're describing sounds perfectly normal to me.

KenB
06-22-2006, 11:50 AM
Mine has 173k miles on it, original clutch. The only time I've experienced this is if I try to shift into 1st gear before coming to a complete stop, which is not very often. No grinding or synchro noise, just takes a little more push to get it into 1st. Most times it goes in with no resistance. Sounds normal to me, I don't think that you have a problem. Try not to shift into 1st while still moving.

JonE
06-22-2006, 12:37 PM
Actually, the time when it should be easiest to gently shift into first from neutral would be as you're coming to a stop (probably traveling veeeery slowly. It may vary as to the speed of this phenomenon, but, just using gentle pressure on the stick, as you're braking, it should just slide into 1st gear without additional effort. This can really save on the synchros. On the roadster I am nearly stopped when this easiest shift point occurs. It is significantly harder to shift it into 1st when at a standstill. Sometimes it takes a bit of practice to find this "path of least resistance".

t_marat
06-22-2006, 08:35 PM
By "when braking to near standstill" I meant to say a speed which is too slow for a second gear. So you go into first; usually in a city traffic.

Jay 535i
06-26-2006, 11:32 AM
By "when braking to near standstill" I meant to say a speed which is too slow for a second gear. So you go into first; usually in a city traffic.

Understood. My two initial pieces of advice still apply:

1) Avoid doing that.
2) When you must, blip the throttle as you shift. That'll help.

t_marat
06-26-2006, 11:40 AM
Now I understand what you mean by blip the gas. I already do that. It was the first thing my father tought me to do while downshifting. :)

Morgenster
06-27-2006, 06:26 AM
I have the exact same thing and I don't consider it a problem.

Jay 535i
06-27-2006, 09:28 AM
I have the exact same thing and I don't consider it a problem.

Well, that was my first piece of 'advice'. :) I think what t_marat is describing is perfectly normal rather than a cause for concern.

Your dad taught you well. No doubt in his day the consequences of sloppy shifting were greater. Syncros have come a long way.