PDA

View Full Version : "94 525i AC Condensor removal

ricks5series
06-21-2006, 10:38 AM
HI there,
Does anyone have intructions on removing the ac condensor up by the radiator? Looks like I cannot access from the top as there is a metal shield which looks permanently fastened. Thanks in advance.

Blitzkrieg Bob
06-21-2006, 11:04 AM
remove the radiator and it comes right out.

search my postings to get the step by step.

Ross
06-21-2006, 04:15 PM
Or the bumper and drop it out the bottom.Did this yesterday,it's not so bad.

winfred
06-21-2006, 04:53 PM
that's it

remove the radiator and it comes right out.

ricks5series
06-21-2006, 04:59 PM
At the risk of sounding ignorant, you mean to tell me there are only 4 bolts securing the painted bumper on a "94 525i? It appears that removing the radiator and pulling the condersor and fan from the inside would be easier. Thoughts?

GoldenEagleFan
06-21-2006, 05:00 PM
I took mine out this last weekend by taking the front bumber off, and then the center grill. Take a flat putty knife the correct width and very carefully lift on the side trim on the bumber next to the license plate. As soon as you can get your fingers on the trim drop the knife and pull sharply. The trim will pop out of the front bumper and you can carefully pop it out until you get to the corner. The side markers need to come out before you go any further. Push them backwards. then get your finger or a screw driver under the front, slide them back forward and push a thin blade screwdriver in from the back to release the metal spring clip. They then pop out. The side trim does not pop out but rather you then take your palm and on the side push them towards the front about an inch. They then just drop off. Two bolts on each side and the bumper pulls forward and off. Have a sleeping bag or blanket handy so you have a place to put it down without scratching it.

The center grill has a screw in the middle under the hood on the top radiator plate guard. Pull it out plus pull the plastic grommet it is in so the grill can come off. There is a small hole by each strut support where you have to insert a long thin screwdriver and push down on a plastic tab to release the grill from each side. You know you are pushing correctly when you can see the center grill deflect slightly. Pull on the grill while depressing and the sides pop out. A couple other tabs in the center you can easlily reach and off goes the center grill.

The aux fan has to come off by loosening the small bolts on the three grommet locations and prying off the fan. It then drops out.

Now the fun part. Be careful removing the fittings if you don't want to replace your hose. A good vise grips to hold the bracket on the condensor while wrenching on the fitting can help minimize hose bending. The condensor is a very tight fit to lift over the bottom rail and tilt to pull out. At least it was in my car. Who cares pulling it out if you are replacing it but sliding it back in be very careful and patient so is to minimize the amount of crinkling on the delicate aluminum finning.

So, I am curious, nobody ever seems to mention how damn tight the condesor is getting out and back in. Or is this a little secret like telling other single men before they get married that marriage is great and they will be so happy after the life long commitment?

Blitzkrieg Bob
06-21-2006, 05:03 PM
less chance of dinging up the body work.

Blitzkrieg Bob
06-21-2006, 05:06 PM
the condensor just tilts back and out.

GoldenEagleFan
06-21-2006, 05:08 PM
and was tempted after getting the condensor out and realizing what a tight fit it was. But being stubborn this far into it I persevered and got the new one back in the way the old one came out.

Oh yeah, remember to put the screw retainers from the old condensor on the new one on the top tabs BEFORE putting the new condensor in. You'll be swearing up a storm otherwise. Believe me, the wife, kids and dogs were hiding from me for the next hour after I realized this.....

Ross
06-21-2006, 05:33 PM
Love is blind , marriage is an eye opener