PDA

View Full Version : Steering free-play etc.

RSK540iA
06-21-2006, 09:05 AM
I recently bought a beautiful 1996 E34 540iA. However, having done 172000 km there were a few 'ailments' which needed attention, i.e. front control arm bushes, tie-rod ends, bad misfire for the first 20 min or so after a cold start.

The car's just come back from several weeks at a reputable workshop yet it still runs somewhat rough for the first 20 min or so, almost as if enrichment is on a time switch (the injectors were cleaned, PCV valve changed, leaking fuel pressure regulator changed).

There's also still 2 cm of free-play at the steering wheel when the engine is running, much more when the motor is off. This could be a worn steering box, but surely not at 172 000km? It's not as 'crisp' on the road as it should be.

There are also one or two electrical issues: sunroof not closing via the key, lights-on 'gong' not working. Could these issues be related to a faulty relay? (the relay does click but the sunroof fails to close via the key).

As mentioned, it's a wonderful car to drive, however, everything should work. As a matter of interest, open road fuel consumption at 140km/h is 10.2 liters/100km, in town it goes up to 14.0, or so. Not bad for a 4.0l V8!

Thanks for any advice received.

Ralf

neil_004
06-21-2006, 09:21 AM
free play is an easy fix, take off the trim near the pedals and tighten the nut near the firewall. if that dosent fix it adjust the steering box. www.bmwe34.net for how to info

632 Regal
06-21-2006, 09:42 AM
search for the nut behind the wheel, the steering box adjustment is a real challange with the V8. I have 190k miles on mine and the box isnt real sloppy.

free play is an easy fix, take off the trim near the pedals and tighten the nut near the firewall. if that dosent fix it adjust the steering box. www.bmwe34.net for how to info

pingu
06-21-2006, 10:17 AM
My 540iA has got 141,xxx miles and I asked my indy to adjust the steering box (and also to check/replace the idler arm bush, centre tie rod etc). I've also got about 2cm of steering play in each direction for a total of about 4cm.

The indy said that all the links were fine (so I guess they weren't simply trying to sell me a whole load of new parts) but that the problem was that the steering box is worn to the extent that no more adjustment is possible. Bummer!

www.bmwe34.net sugests that the steering boxes just don't ever wear out but maybe they do?

BillionPa
06-21-2006, 06:51 PM
sounds like the steering column nut is loose