PDA

View Full Version : Severe stumble @ 3000 RPM's

Rodericb
06-21-2006, 08:47 AM
Hello everyone. Well, down here in Louisiana we've been experiencing a severe shortage of rain of late. However, on Monday we got a nice drenching from a few passing T-storms. There was some standing water on the interstate which I happen to drive though in the M20. No problems or so I thought. I parked the car overnight but the next morning noticed a slight hesitation and drop in acceleration as the car shifted from 1st to 2nd gear. I didn't think much of it as the car is slow as hell being an M20 auto. Well, once I got on the interstate and began to accelerate, when I hit 3000 RPM's, the car bogged down really bad and began to stumble. When I took my foot of the gas and it dropped down to 2700 RPMS, all the power returned. It seems that as soon as I hit 2900 - 3000 RPMS, the car starts choking. I search the archives and found that this could be caused by the crank position sensor. I ended up renting a car yesterday for fear of being stranded or causing additional damage to the car. Today, I started the car, revved it up to 3k and no stumble. I got on the interstate and got up to 80 MPH @ 3k RPMs and was smooth as silk....no stumble or anything. Could water have caused a temporary problem with my crank position sensor or could this be the signs of bigger problems to come? TIA.

califblue
06-21-2006, 11:31 AM
mine had a similar problem it was a $60 US part
Crank Position Sensor/Flywheel Sensor for Ignition and Injection

632 Regal
06-21-2006, 02:41 PM
if you have a distributor and wires you might want to look into new cap, rotor, wires. Definetly water related tho, check the connections to the CPS and stuff.

Gene in NC
06-23-2006, 05:37 PM
Suspect simple ignition maladies wires and or cap. Try this link and pay attention to Joshua.

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/printthread.php?t=22134

joshua43214
06-24-2006, 04:43 AM
Thanks Gene, I was going to retype all that and you saved me the trouble =)