PDA

View Full Version : So, I got raped today. Man, am I sore...

cableface
06-20-2006, 04:23 PM
So, I took my car in yesterday to have the AC converted over to R-134a. I dropped it off overnight. The guy said he'd call me BEFORE he got into it to give me an idea of what it would cost. I had called around to a few places and the general consensus was around 250 bucks. WELL, I get a call around 3 today and the guy says he's got it all wrapped up for me. I'm a little shocked that he didnt call before like he said. He proceeds to tell me that he installed a new AC dryer and that he had to get it from the ****in rip off dealer. At that point my heart sinks. I know what's coming... ****ing 468 bucks to have my friggin AC converted!! I almost killed the guy. The dryer cost was 220. I could have had it overnighted off ebay for 100 bucks if he would have just told me!

Maybe I'm overreacting but Im a little pissed off. To top it off, this continues my search for a mechanic that I can actually trust....

Scott H
06-20-2006, 04:29 PM
a Behr from BMA is ~$40. Sounds like you need to have a chat with this guy about what your final price is going to be since he commenced work before you gave him the green light......if that is truly what went down.

So, I took my car in yesterday to have the AC converted over to R-134a. I dropped it off overnight. The guy said he'd call me BEFORE he got into it to give me an idea of what it would cost. I had called around to a few places and the general consensus was around 250 bucks. WELL, I get a call around 3 today and the guy says he's got it all wrapped up for me. I'm a little shocked that he didnt call before like he said. He proceeds to tell me that he installed a new AC dryer and that he had to get it from the ****in rip off dealer. At that point my heart sinks. I know what's coming... ****ing 468 bucks to have my friggin AC converted!! I almost killed the guy. The dryer cost was 220. I could have had it overnighted off ebay for 100 bucks if he would have just told me!

Maybe I'm overreacting but Im a little pissed off. To top it off, this continues my search for a mechanic that I can actually trust....

Evan
06-20-2006, 04:33 PM
keep calm... give some thought to what you want to tell him.. then go have a chat...

ska-texas
06-20-2006, 04:34 PM
25% on the parts, way too much on the labor and no dinner,drinks or foreplay. Not cool.

TheEndIsNear
06-20-2006, 04:55 PM
That's actually illegal... They are required to get preapproval on any work over I beleive it's $150. This is the law...

Javier
06-20-2006, 05:02 PM
any more than BMA would charge for it. This is not less than 150 USD discount over the invoice.

If he prefers, I would ask to remove the dryer and give me back the car without charges. He offer to inform budget before going on, and he didn't at his own risk!

Javier

cableface
06-20-2006, 05:49 PM
Yeah, I'm still debating on what to do. This is a crock of ****. I'm going to cool off tonight and approach him about it tomorrow. This place was actually recommended to me by more than one person, so I dont know what the hell is up.

TheEndIsNear
06-20-2006, 05:54 PM
That's what I would do...

e39dream
06-20-2006, 06:06 PM
yeah- I would feel the guy out to try and catch him in a lie. go to www.realoem.com, pull up your cars ac dryer and print the page. Make sure he knows that you are aware of the parts cost- that site tends to be innacurate but it's ballpark pricing. At this point if you keep a cool head you're likely to get your car back for cheep or free, providing he did do the work unapproved. Just try to be friendly with them and tell them the truth- you were thinking 250-300, not 500.

cableface
06-20-2006, 06:31 PM
yeah- I would feel the guy out to try and catch him in a lie. go to www.realoem.com, pull up your cars ac dryer and print the page. Make sure he knows that you are aware of the parts cost- that site tends to be innacurate but it's ballpark pricing. At this point if you keep a cool head you're likely to get your car back for cheep or free, providing he did do the work unapproved. Just try to be friendly with them and tell them the truth- you were thinking 250-300, not 500.First thing that I am doing is calling the dealrship to see if the part is 200 bucks there. That's where he said that he got it from so... we'll see.

Derek A.
06-20-2006, 06:38 PM
This is an independent repair shop. He can charge you whatever he wants for the part. If he did not let you know in advance what it was you would be charged for its a problem. Any place that you take your car for repair is going to charge you at least list price for the part. Taking in your own parts is a mistake and it does nothing but piss off the shop ownership. The markup at the dealership is usually %150 on customer pay stuff.

Scott H
06-20-2006, 06:50 PM
There are a handful of shops in Chicagoland that allow you to bring your own stuff..... This is an issue you should always address before you have ANYTHING done at ANY shop.

...... Taking in your own parts is a mistake and it does nothing but piss off the shop ownership.....

piman
06-20-2006, 07:01 PM
If you keep your lid on then he should be reasonable. If not, tell him you have a friend at the local news media who would love to get this story "for fun". The odds will turn in your favor. Works everytime.

cableface
06-20-2006, 07:01 PM
This is an independent repair shop. He can charge you whatever he wants for the part. If he did not let you know in advance what it was you would be charged for its a problem. Any place that you take your car for repair is going to charge you at least list price for the part. Taking in your own parts is a mistake and it does nothing but piss off the shop ownership. The markup at the dealership is usually %150 on customer pay stuff.
He's welcome to charge whatever he wants for the part, but he should have called me and discussed the parts need before he worked on it.... like he said he would do.

piman
06-20-2006, 07:03 PM
When you bring in your own parts they just mark up the labour. They dont looze a penny.

Alexlind123
06-20-2006, 07:06 PM
When you bring in your own parts they just mark up the labour. They dont looze a penny.

Thats why you get a quote for parts and labor, and THEN ask them if you can bring your own parts.

Scott H
06-20-2006, 07:08 PM
looze the conspiracy theories. Sometimes it takes time to find the right shop or garage machanic, but not everyone is a con man.

Robin-535im
06-20-2006, 07:45 PM
He's welcome to charge whatever he wants for the part, but he should have called me and discussed the parts need before he worked on it.... like he said he would do.
Tell him you "forgot" to inform him of your "privilege to work on my car" tax, which is $200. You *were* going to tell him when he called, but since he didn't call, you went ahead and charged him.

Seriously though - If it were me, I would be friendly and kind but very firm.

Draw up your bottom line before you go in with him, and prepare a "best alternative to a negotiated agreement", that is, your alternative should he not budge. Probably it involves refusing to pay more than the fair price for the parts and labor and taking the issue to a third party for arbitration... lawyers, small claims court, that kind of thing.

Try to rationally work out a fair agreement but be prepared with your "worst case" card if it comes to that. Do your homework on the prices of parts and labor so you're ready for anything.

Jeff N.
06-20-2006, 09:04 PM
This is exactly why I work on my own car. Never have these problems.

cableface
06-20-2006, 09:16 PM
This is exactly why I work on my own car. Never have these problems.
Well, I thought for a second about venting the R-12 into the open atmosphere, but I declined. There's too many things/people already ****ing the environment for everyone else. There are only two places in town that had the disposal unit for contaminated R-12 so I was sort of forced to go to one of them. Not to mention if I vented the R-12 my fiance would have shoved a broom up my ass. Normally, I try to do things myself if possible. I didnt this time... and I got raped.

Evan
06-20-2006, 09:36 PM
you can't perform all the work on your car... eventually you need a PRO

Airborne001
06-21-2006, 01:45 AM
Definitely know what the dealer charges before you talk to him, and print out a few pages of other places you could have gotten the part before you talk to him so you can prove you are being straight up with him.

Paul in NZ
06-21-2006, 01:56 AM
And dont forget It would have cost you around 250 (Plus the dryer?) AND you presumably now have A/C.Be cool and remind him he didnt call you.Dont try to rip him off...

granit_silber
06-21-2006, 03:18 AM
the list price on parts at dealerships differs from dealer to dealer and where they want to sit in the price matrix. For example the dealership 2 miles from mmy house charges $17 and change for an oil filter kit. The dealer 17 miles from my home charges $12 and change for the same part.

the price I was quoted for the dryer was list:140 something and the indy discounted it to $85.

The bottom line is that the shop did the work before being authorized. That's a no-no. But before you go in guns blazing, make sure that someone didn't accidently authorize the work (did your fiance get a phone call while you were out? etc...). Also check to see if you might have unintentionally authorized the work yourself (did you sign anything to drop the car off).

Hope if works out for everyone.
-ashley

cableface
06-21-2006, 04:21 AM
the list price on parts at dealerships differs from dealer to dealer and where they want to sit in the price matrix. For example the dealership 2 miles from mmy house charges $17 and change for an oil filter kit. The dealer 17 miles from my home charges $12 and change for the same part.

the price I was quoted for the dryer was list:140 something and the indy discounted it to $85.

The bottom line is that the shop did the work before being authorized. That's a no-no. But before you go in guns blazing, make sure that someone didn't accidently authorize the work (did your fiance get a phone call while you were out? etc...). Also check to see if you might have unintentionally authorized the work yourself (did you sign anything to drop the car off).

Hope if works out for everyone.
-ashley
No, there was no accidental authorization. I am 100% sure of that. He said quote, "I'll give ya a call before I rip into it to let you know what's gonna have to happen."

Getting all hot and bothered over this is really pretty useless. I'll be cool with him. I mean, it could have been worse. Looks like he overcharged me by about a 100 bucks. or so. It just sucks because it's another account of someone not doing what they said and also taking advantage of the situation. I really could have used that money too since I just spent almost another 500 on parts for my front end.

Well, if all else fails I'll know who NOT to go back to. Plus it will be nice to have my AC going. It's friggin' hot down here in Hell (Texas)! I'll let you all know what the guy says today.

DanDombrowski
06-21-2006, 04:48 AM
Until I got the E46, I've been driving my Volvo with no AC in south florida. I feel for ya man!

Let us know what happened with the bill. I'm interested in getting the AC converted in the Vo' to 134a.

632 Regal
06-21-2006, 05:16 AM
stop check payment, let him take you to court lol.

ryan roopnarine
06-21-2006, 05:17 AM
Well, I thought for a second about venting the R-12 into the open atmosphere, but I declined. There's too many things/people already ****ing the environment for everyone else. There are only two places in town that had the disposal unit for contaminated R-12 so I was sort of forced to go to one of them. Not to mention if I vented the R-12 my fiance would have shoved a broom up my ass. Normally, I try to do things myself if possible. I didnt this time... and I got raped.

i've been told to solder a schrader valve to the end of a blow torch head and use a empty propane cylinder as a capture vessel. cheaper than taking it anywhere.....why would you tell her that you were thinking about venting it. that never ends well, what with her likely casually mentioning it to somebody over coffee in 6 months, and accidentally getting the EPA involved.

RIPN RAY
06-21-2006, 05:27 AM
also keep in mind that the repair shop probably has an account with the dealer. which means that he actually pays less then the general public. so you might actually be able to get him lower on the part price...

i hate dealing with repair shops....i know how to do the stuff it's just that i don't want to...lol

ryan roopnarine
06-21-2006, 05:41 AM
Until I got the E46, I've been driving my Volvo with no AC in south florida. I feel for ya man!

Let us know what happened with the bill. I'm interested in getting the AC converted in the Vo' to 134a.

http://www.autohausaz.com/search/productx.aspx?sid=cafwo0abs4q4fu450fwoes2v&makeid=800025@Volvo&modelid=1287053@240%20&year=1991&cid=24@AC%20%26%20Heat%20-%20Climate%20Control&gid=6729@AC%20Conversion%20Kit

bottom item of the page looks like all you would need, except for the freon to recharge it with and the vacuum pump to evacuate the system. plus, you get the cool OEM volvo stickers!

Ausmpower
06-21-2006, 06:33 AM

What drugs are you on? 150% mark up!! HA HA HA! try 30%.....

Ross
06-21-2006, 06:53 AM
So what happened? Name the shop so others can beware.
Why some shops play that phukin game is beyond me. They spend loads advertising for customers then turn around and cause themselves all sorts of grief by trying to make the rent on one job.
I've bought a few cars from people who just became so digusted they sold the car for lack of a shop to honestly and competently repair it. The records that come with these cars speak volumes about how so many operate.
Fact is the shop agreed to call you with an estimate and didn't. You obviously know the parts value and wouldn't have agreed to full boat dealer pricing.
Most indys don't use oem, but sources such as we do and retail the parts somewhere below dealer list. This makes lots of unaware customers happy and puts more cash in the shops pocket than selling oem at list.
Hopefully the work was done correctly first time 'cause once they have to give in on price they'll be looking to make it up.
Have a look to see if it's BMW or other, you may just catch them in a lie.

cableface
06-21-2006, 09:58 AM
stop check payment, let him take you to court lol.
I actually considered that but decided I didnt want to risk it. I'd likely get reported to Equifax and that opens up a whole new diaper of ****. I have my business to look out for and I certainly dont need anything interfering with it.

I just went down there and picked the car up. The mech wasnt there, only the secretary. I paid for the charge but I put it on my American Express. That way if he's a rude little ******* when I do actually talk to him about this, I can dispute the charge and let him and the CC company duke it out. God bless the power of a charge back!

632 Regal
06-21-2006, 10:31 AM
I have also had to do this from shitty companies and suppliers that over bill or charge for 2 when you ordered 1 etc... Never a problem here.

God bless the power of a charge back!

callen
06-21-2006, 01:37 PM
To properly do it you want to use dealers Rec. Dryer, new pressure switch and they're fittings which I'm assuming he got as an R134 conversion kit. Only way to do it. Soooo in the long run your in better shape than going to a shop that simply changes the fittings..pumps in a little oil and recharges with R134. Be happy your mechanic knew what he was doing. :)

DanDombrowski
06-21-2006, 05:04 PM
I bought the kit at the top of that page from BMA awhile back (with all the orings and crap). I was planning on giving that to a mechanic and saying "buy whatever else you need". I wish I could do it myself, but between my 9-5, my second job working on computers, and servicing the new car (and the camry), I was out of time 10 hours/week ago....

Thanks for the link though, that looks like a decent price. Mabye I'll buy it and see if I can get a shop to put it in for me.

Hows it hanging in Otown?

Derek A.
06-21-2006, 07:15 PM
One of the fundamental problems with bringing in your own parts is the warranty issue. If there is a problem a shop is not responsible to honnor any kind of warranty as its not their part being installed. Do you take your own meat into the steakhouse to have them cook it?

The local BMW dealer in my town will mark up a part that is being sold over the counter 150% sometimes depending on what it is. I am flabergasted to see those kinds of margins on parts. Its crazy !

cableface
06-21-2006, 09:19 PM
One of the fundamental problems with bringing in your own parts is the warranty issue. If there is a problem a shop is not responsible to honnor any kind of warranty as its not their part being installed. Do you take your own meat into the steakhouse to have them cook it?

The local BMW dealer in my town will mark up a part that is being sold over the counter 150% sometimes depending on what it is. I am flabergasted to see those kinds of margins on parts. Its crazy !Well, here's the kicker. I signed a form for a 12 month warranty and I asked, "Oh so this work is under warranty for a year?" The secretary replies,"Oh, no the labor doesnt carry a warranty at all, only the part. And that's through the dealership, not us." Jesus....

ThoreauHD
06-21-2006, 10:54 PM
Even my ghetto repair shop warrants their work. That place sounds a bit off. I certainly wouldn't go back there, and if you live anywhere on the east coast I wouldn't mind knowing who it is so I can avoid them.

cableface
06-22-2006, 12:45 PM
Even my ghetto repair shop warrants their work. That place sounds a bit off. I certainly wouldn't go back there, and if you live anywhere on the east coast I wouldn't mind knowing who it is so I can avoid them.
Unfortunately, I'm stuck down here in TX for school. One day I'll get outta here...one day.

Tiger
06-22-2006, 01:19 PM
I thought FL has alot of cheap AC repair shops...