PDA

View Full Version : Exaust port widening (m60)

chris_e34
06-20-2006, 09:55 AM
I am debating whether or not to widen my exaust ports. i am doing major work on my 530, the engine is already disassebled for cleaning, machining, gaskets etc. its just a matter of doing the job. pros/ cons from experience please. im also seriosuly considering dinan free flow exaust kit or equivelant. input appreciated...thanks

632 Regal
06-20-2006, 10:21 AM
i wouldnt go any farther than port matching the exhaust if it even needs it.

there isnt much experience with M60s at all. my intake matches perfectly to the intake side of the head so I wouldnt be surprized if the exhaust port is the same or designed for the best performance.

free flowing exhaust will move the powerband up even higher but sounds cool.

You change rear gears to a 3:64 yet?

chris_e34
06-21-2006, 04:48 AM
nope, i have not done the 3:64 job. i diddnt feel the need to. i could accelerate to 45 mph in 1st shifting at 5000rpm. im not sure how much faster i could pull the car of the line, that seems pretty damn good for almost 2 tons of car. do you feel the upgrade was worthwhile, i saw a previosu post of yours where you mentioned mileage is the same with added acceleration. im guessing that gain was through the low rpm range?? i am by no means going to be racing this car. it is going to be a track car, and long distance driver(im planning a trip cross country for some california coastal highway fun, and maxing out car performance on dessert roads). i will definitely be pushign the car pretty hard...ahh rant...anyway do you feel the diff. upgrade was worth it? btw i dont think il be doing the porting job, i want to keep the engine mod free in terms of grinding her down. i may get the free flow in the future...my budget was exceeded about 1 grand ago for this particular project. i tend to overdue things soemtimes :)

632 Regal
06-21-2006, 05:41 AM
at first I thought the 3:64 would be a bit much but to my surprize it was the best single thing I did to it. It made city driving much easier on the car, more gears being used instead of just the first 3. The RPMs on the highway went up a little bit but no biggie, can still cruise over 100 mph without a worry :D

ps Mark is working on a new chip for the 530s, I tested a beta chip the last few days and i will say "explosive" powerband at 3500! A little tweaking and they will go live soon.

chris_e34
06-21-2006, 06:43 AM
yea i think for me the diff i have now is perfect for right now. im not sure i would like to sacrifice high speed rpm for low rpm acceleration, since most of my driving is high speed. however once my redline is raised with whatever chip i chose, i may look into it again. that chip sounds amazing. i was getting ready to place an order for the dinan chip, when do you think it will be ready? how much money do you think it will be? and when you say "mark" do you mean someone on this board? id liek to get my hands on evena beta chip:)