PDA

View Full Version : lightening my load

krazy00kanadian
06-20-2006, 07:35 AM
hey all, i was wondering, seeing as how my cars engine is plenty powerfull for me, how i can maximize it by lightening my car. short of removing all the nice leather seats, is there any trick to shaving a few extra pounds off?

thanks alot.

90' 535i

sKilled
06-20-2006, 08:07 AM
Anything that isn't bolted down - loose the spare tire (replace with tire fix in a can). Loose the tools and jack as well. Get rid of any crap floating around in the boot (trunk). Clean out your glove box/door cards. Check under the back seat for anything that could be hanging around in there (I got dibs on the spare change!).
Before you start on anything adventurous (carbon fibre this, holes in that etc.) clean out all the stuff in the car - you'd be surprised how much weight all those CDs, magazines, street maps of Timbuktu and so on all add up to.

Qube
06-20-2006, 08:28 AM
We're going to run into the debate of whether removing the spare upsets the balance of the car...

RobPatt
06-20-2006, 08:32 AM
ok ok stupid joke, but couldn't resist.

but could also check tire pressures and keep the thing well maintained....

sKilled
06-20-2006, 08:43 AM
We're going to run into the debate of whether removing the spare upsets the balance of the car...

What's the tire weigh? I tip the scales at about 110kg (at 1.98m, so no, I am not fat, just big boned). I doubt removing the tire will 'upset' the balance as much as swingin my fat ass into a car!:D

Alexlind123
06-20-2006, 09:04 AM
hey all, i was wondering, seeing as how my cars engine is plenty powerfull for me, how i can maximize it by lightening my car. short of removing all the nice leather seats, is there any trick to shaving a few extra pounds off?

thanks alot.

90' 535i

Remove all the sound deadening material under/behind the rear seat and trunk. Perhaps under the carpet too.

632 Regal
06-20-2006, 10:30 AM
I could probably gut 40 lbs out of each door...tin can when done but lighter :D

kyleN20
06-20-2006, 11:23 AM
take out the ac

ThoreauHD
06-20-2006, 11:30 AM
Yea, it's June. You'll love July without a A/C. Let us know how much a heat stroke and anal vomiting visit to the E.R. costs. Maybe it's cheaper than keeping the A/C and spending all that money on gas.

kyleN20
06-20-2006, 11:42 AM
my ac doesent work, i dont have heatstroke, and anal vomiting is not a issue i deal with either, and iv never been to the E.R. drive with the windows down, and park in the shade, youl be fine

angrypancake
06-20-2006, 11:46 AM
take a huge dump before you drive the car.

dacoyote
06-20-2006, 02:29 PM
take a huge dump before you drive the car.

Dude... I just took one of those dumps where you drop like an inch on ones waist size...

KenB
06-20-2006, 02:47 PM
Dude... I just took one of those dumps where you drop like an inch on ones waist size...

That should make your 525 alot quicker than mine...;)

Sheez, this thread went into the toilet pretty quickly...:p

Ok, I'll play: Only buy gas one gallon at a time and give yourself an enema before getting behind the wheel.:D

dacoyote
06-20-2006, 03:02 PM
That should make your 525 alot quicker than mine...;)

Sheez, this thread went into the toilet pretty quickly...:p

Ok, I'll play: Only buy gas one gallon at a time and give yourself an enema before getting behind the wheel.:D

Your's is black... so by default it's faster :-)

SharkmanBMW
06-20-2006, 03:17 PM
Yea, it's June. You'll love July without a A/C. Let us know how much a heat stroke and anal vomiting visit to the E.R. costs. Maybe it's cheaper than keeping the A/C and spending all that money on gas.

He's in Canada... health care is covered!:p

krazy00kanadian
06-20-2006, 03:53 PM
well, i can see what kind fo people are on this forums.

AC's not a bad idea. but i like the classy feel of my car, so i dont think il be taking out any door pannels.
im broke so i run on empty all the time anyway

could removing the tire really upset the balance? cause when i go auto crossing i take it out (of course) but is it a bad thing?

dacoyote
06-20-2006, 03:55 PM

AC's not a bad idea. but i like the classy feel of my car, so i dont think il be taking out any door pannels.

could removing the tire really upset the balance? cause when i go auto crossing i take it out (of course) but is it a bad thing?

Don't worry about all the crazy people today.... :-)

I would suggest leaving in the tire.. the first time you get a flat you will be bummed...

Alexlind123
06-20-2006, 03:56 PM

If you cant afford gas, there is no way you can afford to own a BMW.

kyleN20
06-20-2006, 03:58 PM
i drive naked

Alexlind123
06-20-2006, 04:01 PM
remove your windows and body panels. Tremendous weight saving, and you wont even need your A/C then!

dacoyote
06-20-2006, 04:03 PM
remove your windows and body panels. Tremendous weight saving, and you wont even need your A/C then!

That with the naked suggestion.. and you will not have to worry about driving at all... at least for long

DanDombrowski
06-20-2006, 04:37 PM
but could also check tire pressures and keep the thing well maintained....

How much can the air in the tires weigh? Now that seems like an extreme measure to me.

Yes, I'm joking.

TheEndIsNear
06-20-2006, 05:17 PM
I once woke up naked in the back seat of my ex-girlfriends 328. It was parked in North Seattle... My cloths were in the trunk and we haven't spoken sense.

angrypancake
06-20-2006, 05:21 PM
i just woke up on the couch half naked, 2 empty 12's on the floor next to me (no i didn't drink them all) and my mom standing over me with a really angry look on her face..... oops

Nick.Hay
06-20-2006, 05:41 PM
How light or how much of a racer do you want to make it??

Coz at the end of the day, you can't have a racecar that is comfy, refined and generally a pleasure to be in.

To make a reasonable difference, you'd have to remove a fair bit of the stuff that makes our BMWs so nice... that is sound-deadening, support for parts that would otherwise rattle, modern convenience, and sexy, comfortable leather seats.

Strip it (excpet for doorcards, carpet and roof lining), remove all the mod-cons, ditch the leather for some fixed back buckets, pull all the excesss brackets/supports etc in the cabin. That should lose a few kilos!!

It'll rattle and be noisy, but it'll be faster!!

Alexlind123
06-20-2006, 05:55 PM
How light or how much of a racer do you want to make it??

Coz at the end of the day, you can't have a racecar that is comfy, refined and generally a pleasure to be in.

To make a reasonable difference, you'd have to remove a fair bit of the stuff that makes our BMWs so nice... that is sound-deadening, support for parts that would otherwise rattle, modern convenience, and sexy, comfortable leather seats.

Strip it (excpet for doorcards, carpet and roof lining), remove all the mod-cons, ditch the leather for some fixed back buckets, pull all the excesss brackets/supports etc in the cabin. That should lose a few kilos!!

It'll rattle and be noisy, but it'll be faster!!

A little duct tape might even cure the rattling.

Nick.Hay
06-20-2006, 06:35 PM
...or zip cable ties!! ;)

My old rally car was 45% race tape and zip ties!!

BillionPa
06-20-2006, 10:59 PM
if you remove the AC, removing the spare tire will actually restore the balance!

Traian
06-21-2006, 12:52 AM
Dust the interior, remove your watch and pee before driving...

genphreak
06-21-2006, 04:58 AM
How much can the air in the tires weigh? Now that seems like an extreme measure to me.Definately Nitrogen (http://www.jaxquickfit.com.au/working_alt/body/nitrogen.htm) in the tyres has to make the car like, at least, 3% faster... I'm really excited, maybe I should inhale some too. Gotta get me some. Of course this is a really cool (http://www.jaxquickfit.com.au/working_alt/Newsad/TPMSnew.htm) too, to make sure you don't loose any through the weight saving side walls that some of the 'supa high quality' asian radials are touting.. :) Nick

Seriously, remove the AFM and replace the stock ECU with a MegaSquirt. You can shave 3 lbs off for the AFM. Lighter oil will improve fuel economy but not weight- if your ambient temperature allows its use. Other than that, you'd have to remove seats and pop the windows! :) Nick

632 Regal
06-21-2006, 05:28 AM
anal fissures

genphreak
06-21-2006, 05:41 AM
Or remove the battery after the engine has been started, that'll loose you a heap of weight. :) Nick