PDA

View Full Version : OT: Any Bang & Olufsen Guys here??

bigmuthatrucker
06-20-2006, 06:56 AM
As the newer stuff is just stupid expensive I have older equipment. I have a beocenter 9000 with three mcl 2a's going to several rooms in my home.. I love the beovision's however I just dont have the cash for one.. I am now looking for a beocom 2000. I dont know how much interest in Olufsen there is. Most of my friends never heard of it.. However they think it is pretty cool
thanks
jim

angrypancake
06-20-2006, 07:08 AM
i've been to one of their stores in NYC, i used to hang out with this incredibly rich girl in school that took me to all the cool places. stuff's way too high end for me but having heard it it's incredible

e39dream
06-20-2006, 01:44 PM
we used to be a McIntosh family, until affordable asian systems with good thd specs became the smart choice.

Scott H
06-20-2006, 01:51 PM
will we ever escape B&O and Bose? :( or form over function for that matter?

ahhhhhh...much better
http://home6.inet.tele.dk/pedipsen/Audio/td124.JPG

As the newer stuff is just stupid expensive I have older equipment. I have a beocenter 9000 with three mcl 2a's going to several rooms in my home.. I love the beovision's however I just dont have the cash for one.. I am now looking for a beocom 2000. I dont know how much interest in Olufsen there is. Most of my friends never heard of it.. However they think it is pretty cool
thanks
jim

MBXB
06-20-2006, 03:24 PM
I still have a B&O 4002 turntable that I use to digitize vinyl.

Derek A.
06-20-2006, 03:33 PM
I used to work for a store that sold B&O - never really cared for the stuff. I am partial to my old NAD/Paradigm/Ariston setup.

Vinyl Rules !

Bruce Kennett
06-20-2006, 03:43 PM
will we ever escape B&O and Bose? :( or form over function for that matter?

ahhhhhh...much better

hah! i suspect we will always have them, and while they continue to sell well, a few of us will quietly choose something else.

from a purely mental-exercise standpoint i do have great admiration for the industrial design of b&o products. they create things in a very high-style way and use great raw materials. but i wouldn't say they have successfully integrated genuine musical performance (as elusive a quality as making a car that handles superbly and is fun to drive) with good visual design, build quality, practicality, and affordability. i can see why people adore their products, especially if they complement an interior design scheme that is of the same stripe. to me they have a very intellectual, all-head and no-heart kind of personality. that may not appeal to me, and i may find (as scott obviously does, too) that they don't play music with soul, but in their genre of things b&o do it better than anyone else.

in a marriage that is now long gone, i once sold a thorens turntable (not quite like the one scott shows, but a cousin) and bought a b&o automatic turntable so that my wife would be more likely to play records than on my "scary" manual play turntable. result? she didn;t play any more records than before, and i suffered continuously until i went back to something i liked better!!

sorry for the ramble. scott knows that i have a sordid past in audio.

bruce

632 Regal
06-20-2006, 03:49 PM
are you talking about the Hostas I didnt plant yet?

bigmuthatrucker
06-20-2006, 07:12 PM
eww how can you even put Bose and B&O in the same sentence... I am not a huge fanboy of B&O stuff However I really enjoy its funtionality as well as My wife doesnt mine When I buy it. It doesnt clutter up the house with eletronic equipment.. I will agree that better sound can be had for around the same price.. However Most stereo's at or near the same price point are clunky and not eye pleasing.. Plus I can listen to My beocenter in three different rooms from one reciever.. She also loves my Gallo Micros from my home theater..

Ross
06-21-2006, 09:06 AM
Yea, I too have older stuff,unfortunately it was stupid expensive when I bought it. I used to have big power, lots of separate components, wires and always some gigantic speakers.I also have a permanent "dial tone" in my right ear.
The audiophile stuff certainly sounds better but I no longer revel in the equipment.
My Beomaster5500 system and links are intuitive to operate and the technology is invisible. The sound is adequate for me.
The audio geeks sometimes frown on B&O but it is an appliance to me and serves me very well.
The TV was only a 27" back when I bought and near two grand in '89 so I passed on that.
The remote controls on these are powerful also and work from quite a distance without a perfect line of site.