PDA

View Full Version : Paper Oil Pan Gaskets??

John B.
06-19-2006, 06:51 PM
Anyone know of a currently available paper alternative to the cork M30 oil pan gaskets? I've been looking but no one seems to carry them.

BillionPa
06-20-2006, 12:26 AM
uuum, shouldnt the new ones be steel?

John B.
06-20-2006, 06:09 AM
A steel oil pan gasket?? That would be useful!!! Anyone change their's recently? I know there used to be paper gaskets available from some suppliers.

Morgenster
06-20-2006, 06:21 AM
uuum, shouldnt the new ones be steel?
How does that work? Aren't gaskets supposed to compensate for machining tolerances and interruptions in mating surfaces? Or is it some kind of malleable steel?

Hector
06-20-2006, 07:17 AM
the cork one can last a long time if properly torqued and the pan mating surfaces dressed with a thin layer of Black OE High Temp RTV silicone.

Anyone know of a currently available paper alternative to the cork M30 oil pan gaskets? I've been looking but no one seems to carry them.

Robin-535im
06-20-2006, 07:36 AM
Someone's signature has / used to have the phrase, "Paper gaskets suck".

Surely some painful experience behind that...

granit_silber
06-20-2006, 11:34 AM
Someone's signature has / used to have the phrase, "Paper gaskets suck".

Surely some painful experience behind that...

Robin,

Yeah, that's mine. I got an extensive education on paper gaskets when I did my coolant flush/ T-stat change. I mean who knew you had to sand the block to get rid of all the old gasket?!? Three paper gaskets later, I ended up buying the composite t-stat housing because it came with rubber gaskets. :D

-ashley

Robin-535im
06-20-2006, 01:20 PM
Robin,

Yeah, that's mine. I got an extensive education on paper gaskets when I did my coolant flush/ T-stat change. I mean who knew you had to sand the block to get rid of all the old gasket?!? Three paper gaskets later, I ended up buying the composite t-stat housing because it came with rubber gaskets. :D

-ashley
I thought it was you but I was too lazy to search. :)

632 Regal
06-20-2006, 01:29 PM
its a composition gasket that has rubber bonded to the metal, far superior.

How does that work? Aren't gaskets supposed to compensate for machining tolerances and interruptions in mating surfaces? Or is it some kind of malleable steel?

632 Regal
06-20-2006, 01:30 PM
NEVER use silicone on cork gaskets! Silicon lets the gasket slip, use spray permatex sealer or Hylomer (I havent tried it yet).
the cork one can last a long time if properly torqued and the pan mating surfaces dressed with a thin layer of Black OE High Temp RTV silicone.

Dave M
06-20-2006, 02:02 PM
NEVER use silicone on cork gaskets! Silicon lets the gasket slip, use spray permatex sealer or Hylomer (I havent tried it yet).

Seconf the metal / rubber gasket. I had my oil pan and gasket off and on three times while replacing the engine block. Even with all the torquing and such, it held its form, never stuck and is sealing well. Can't imagine having the same luck with cork, let alone paper.

Oh and hylomar works great to keep things in place.

Dave M

Hector
06-21-2006, 05:51 AM
I don't know who started this taboo... I've only had positive experience... You just need to get the right amount silicone, and know how much to apply it. Of course squirting the silicone like you're squirting frosting on a cake will lead shitty results.

Ausmpower
06-21-2006, 06:51 AM
You shouldn't need a sealing agent with the rubberised cork sump gasket. The mistake many people make is over tightening the sump bolts which tears the gasket or squeezes it out resulting in leaks. Go easy and it won't leak.

P.s hylomar is great for head gaskets.

Scott H
06-21-2006, 02:25 PM
you're not supposed to dress the headgasket!!!

*maybe* dress the small area between the upper and lower timing covers...

You shouldn't need a sealing agent with the rubberised cork sump gasket. The mistake many people make is over tightening the sump bolts which tears the gasket or squeezes it out resulting in leaks. Go easy and it won't leak.

P.s hylomar is great for head gaskets.