PDA

View Full Version : When it rains it pours, Lots of problems with the M all at once

bjl4776
06-18-2006, 08:38 PM
Id goto the M3 boards but those people are worthless. Last week my PS pump and a radiator hose blew. Then my battery died because my blown pump was taking all the power from the alternator so my battery wouldnt charge. Well i got home this weekend, replaced the pump and all of the PS hoses. Now I have PS but when i turn right it makes a slight stress type noise the it doesnt make turning left, any ideas. So I have to drive 2 hours back to school in Boston when my car starts doing something really odd. When i have the accel pedal at a cruise position or the cruise control is on it looses all power and starts to slow down, but if i go WOT it accels as normal. So i drove the whole way to school on and off throttle. But whenever i tried to use the cruise or keep my foot in the middle i would through a 1226 code which is knock sensor cyl 3-4. I started smelling a smoke type smell when i was trying to cruise so i got off the highway and my cat is smokin like im dumpin way to much fuel. When i was goin on and off throttle it wasnt smellin or smokin. Oh yea, car is a 95 M3. Help is greatly appreciated

Espen
06-18-2006, 10:46 PM
When you replaced your PS pump, did you bleed the system? Ive been learnd that you have to turn the wheel all over to each side a coupple of times while filling it up with oil.

Derek A.
06-19-2006, 03:07 AM
E36 cars to tend to eat up racks. there is really nothing to service on those. Probably looking at a reman steering rack.

Check the throttle position sensor - on those cars its not just idle/wot like the big six - might not be giving a good signal.

bjl4776
06-19-2006, 03:18 AM
Oh, another thing, it seems to not start to do it until it hits closed loop. And it has an extremely sloppy idle. Which makes me tend to think it isnt the TPS

genphreak
06-19-2006, 03:45 AM
Oh, another thing, it seems to not start to do it until it hits closed loop. And it has an extremely sloppy idle. Which makes me tend to think it isnt the TPSMaybe a temp sensor is out... if so the ECU would be running the car rich, it'd foul things up pretty quick and put the O2 sensor way beyond what the ECU might be prepared for. Now for the dumb question; is your PS running on a serpentine belt? If not, how did you check the new belt is at the right tension, its easy to overdo. If you don't have a belt tensioner gauge the right belt tension can be achieved when (but this is for my car's 13mm V belt), 8.0-8.5Nm or 71-75'lbs is applied to the tensioner gear. Then of course one just tightens the locking nut at the back to 24Nm or 18'lb and its done right. Just hate for a new rack to be on the menu... ow.

632 Regal
06-19-2006, 05:55 AM
check the plugs, it may be fouling on a cylinder or 2 and dumpung fuel into the exhaust. running it whyle it may be missing will ruin the rings on the dead cylinder.