PDA

View Full Version : ::.. Dash, side markers, both parking lights and more gone...

Qube
06-18-2006, 07:45 PM
Hello,,,89 535i,,, have a bit of a problem,,, the dash gages, climate control lights, license plate and both parking lights front and back went out at the same time... also the side markers are out all the way around and I am not sure if those went out at the same time...

----------------------------------------------------------------

A slight repost. Tonight I stopped the car, turned off. Fill up on gas. Start car... the dash, side markers and BOTH parking lights are out. This also includes the light underneath the hood.

Check fuse 4, replace with 10a. No key in car but turn on lights (parking lights should go on). The fuse sparks and does it's job in a nice flash before death. I'm assuming fuse 5 is gone as well but it's one of those fully opaque ones. Given both sides of parking lights are dead I'm assuming it's gone too.

Suggestions? Technically NOTHING has changed. All I did was get out of the car and fill the tank :)

I'm leaning towards maybe the light switch? Headlamp and fogs turn on just fine, as do the signal portion of the lamps. Also, if I use the alarm remote, the parking lights will flash (probably lighted by different circuit).

----------------------------------------------------------------

RESEARCH:

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=17422&highlight=fuses+parking

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=17501&highlight=fuses+parking

Qube
06-19-2006, 06:27 AM
Bump once before I head out and dig into this problem...

Hornswoggler
08-07-2006, 10:55 PM
You ever figure out what was going on?

I keep blowing Fuse 5 and not sure where to go next.

Qube
08-07-2006, 11:07 PM
You ever figure out what was going on?

I keep blowing Fuse 5 and not sure where to go next.

For me, it was the turn signal bulb connector... the wires were fraying from the connector and were shorting. A little bit of cut and splice fixed it.

Hornswoggler
08-07-2006, 11:12 PM
oh cool. front or rear?

hmm, then again, since you are blowing fuse 4 and I am not, probably different problem.

shogun
08-07-2006, 11:35 PM
Mustard relay resoldering.
Just posted the info yesterday.

At least for the parking light etc it might help.