PDA

View Full Version : Lifter noise at below freezing temperatures (M50)

sarkis
03-30-2004, 11:39 AM
Hello All,
Now that the weather is tolerable again, it's time to get dirty. I noticed this winter my 1992 525i M50 engine would have loud lifter noise at only below freezing temperatures when the car was stone cold. To get over this, i would start the car for 5 seconds with the "clacking" sound fully audable. I would then turn the car off and start it again..noise is gone. It alsmost seems the oil pump needed to be primed. With current temperatures of 10 C (52F) the problem is gone. I searched the threads but was unable to find similar issues. I am running Mobile 1 synthetic 10W30. Can anyone offer some advice on where to start or a possible solution.
Thank You
Sarkis

Jr ///M5
03-30-2004, 05:18 PM
Yes, during the winter cold months I had the same problem with my 318iS. The lifters would rattle at first start up and like you, I would shut it down, restart, and the noise would be gone. The problem is the lifters aren't pumping up with oil on start up. I switched to Mobil 1 ----0w-40 for the winter months and the problem is gone. We normally have typically very cold winters and the 318iS responded very well to the lighter winter weight oil. I will switch back to Mobil 1 15w-50 when the temps are steady in the 70's...

Jr

632 Regal
03-30-2004, 07:42 PM
that the check valve in the oil canister could be allowing the oil to drain back into the pan. heard new canisters are only like $300.00. :(