PDA

View Full Version : ::.. Elephant sound after ignition off

Qube
06-17-2006, 09:29 AM
So I know that there are certain valves and flaps that close after you turn off the car. I lived with that and it's supposed to be that way.

Summer is coming and now that sound is like an elephant song. I can only surmise that the valves/flaps are catching as they move. I'll definitely investigate, but thought I'd ask firsthand where these are and probable replacement costs.

On that note, the doors are complaining too... I need to lube them up well...

Evan
06-17-2006, 09:38 AM
got any depos for sale?

Bill R.
06-17-2006, 09:49 AM
pressure equalizing at the expansion valve. There's a bulletin on this regarding the later e34 for honking or hooting noises. I'd guess you have something similar.

So I know that there are certain valves and flaps that close after you turn off the car. I lived with that and it's supposed to be that way.

Summer is coming and now that sound is like an elephant song. I can only surmise that the valves/flaps are catching as they move. I'll definitely investigate, but thought I'd ask firsthand where these are and probable replacement costs.

On that note, the doors are complaining too... I need to lube them up well...

KenB
06-17-2006, 10:12 AM
Ya know how to get an elephant off your back, don'tcha?
Jerk him off.

(groan):p

Qube
06-17-2006, 10:41 AM
Funny people ;) Evan PM me.

I also hear the noise at a lesser degree when I start... supposing the valve/shutter opening. Any suggestions?

Jehu
06-17-2006, 10:48 AM
is this anything like that snorting sound i hear when starting the car? Someone said it sounded like the starter to them , it kind of sounds like an F-1 engine for a brief second just as you turn the key and not every time, usually only after the car has been running a while then turned off for a minute or two, say to gas up. Is that normal?

Qube
06-17-2006, 12:02 PM
Nah it's more like the doors need lubing friction rubber sound.