PDA

View Full Version : LSD Additive; Yes or NO?

Spasso
06-16-2006, 10:08 AM
My brother just installed a limited slip differential in his 1984 533. I think it's a 3.25 ratio out of a 7 series but not sure.

He has filled it with GL5 (Dino) gear oil but doesn't see the need for LSD additive. He says the gear oil he is using is per spec and that should be sufficient.

My past experience with LSD units of other makes tells me that the LSD additive is a must to prevent premature wearing of the clutches.

LSD additive , yes or no? and why or why not?

Thanks, DJ

trumpetr
06-16-2006, 10:23 AM
My brother just installed a limited slip differential in his 1984 533. I think it's a 3.25 ratio out of a 7 series but not sure.

He has filled it with GL5 (Dino) gear oil but doesn't see the need for LSD additive. He says the gear oil he is using is per spec and that should be sufficient.

My past experience with LSD units of other makes tells me that the LSD additive is a must to prevent premature wearing of the clutches.

LSD additive , yes or no? and why or why not?

Thanks, DJ

LSD?? Far out, man! ( The Doors' music playing)

(sorry,,couldnt resist

gale
06-16-2006, 10:55 AM
Dino GL-5 in an LSD will need the friction conditioner additive. Otherwise it will make groaning noises during tight turns at low speeds, especially in reverse. BG-325 is a good additive. There's also Sta-Lube at Pep Boys, etc., approx. 5 or 6 oz., drain off enough gear oil to make room for it and add the full tube of friction conditioner & top off with gear oil if necessary.

Synthetic GL-5 usually doesn't need the LSD additive, but it doesn't hurt to add it anyway.

632 Regal
06-16-2006, 11:31 AM
i didnt use it and had no problems until i spun one tire on ice with the other on cement, that must have burned the glaze off the clutches because after that it was so tight i thought it was goung to bust the cv joints.

Definetly get the additive.

Spasso
06-16-2006, 11:58 AM
Thanks. I had a GM LSD with cracked clutches that used to lockup and release in slow speed corners that used to make things interesting, especially on wet days, this due to NOT using LSD additive..

BillionPa
06-16-2006, 04:22 PM
or, you could refill it with heavyweight synthetic containing the friction modifier such as....

http://www.redlineoil.com/products_gearlubricants.asp?pvID=87&prodID=61&subcatID=20

perhaps the best diff oil there is.

angrypancake
06-17-2006, 05:34 PM
LSD?? Far out, man! ( The Doors' music playing)

(sorry,,couldnt resist

cinnamon sugar cubes?