PDA

View Full Version : '95 side mirror question

Ariel525i
06-16-2006, 09:20 AM
I am planning to upgrade my pre '95 side mirrors to that of those that come on the '95 models (E36ish). I would want to know if any of you guys were able to do this sucessfully especially when it comes to the wiring connections. Btw, mine are non-heated.

Thanks.

Ariel

Phil Sanderson
06-16-2006, 11:23 AM
...but my mistake was buying '95 mirrors of a car that had memory adjustment. The later style mirrors came out on '93 model cars and the motors were the 4 wire (or maybe 5 with heating) version.

The '95 model mirror motors had up to 9 wires and worked through a printed circuit board, they were also fixed to the mirror body with 3 screws set out in a triangular pattern and the plastic around the little motors is black. If you take the mirror glass off yours to look at the motor you should find it to be 2 little motors set in white plastic fixed to the mirror body with 4 screws set out in a square pattern.

My tip is to find mirrors off a '93-'94 model car with the same type of wire connector as yours (4 wire/white plastic motor mount). The mirrors will bolt straight on. They can also be disassembled so that you can get the mirror shell painted in your color.

Oh, and as far as I know the mirrors off an E36 3 Series look identical to the E34 ones, but they have a different mounting system where they are fixed to the door (2 mounting poles on E36 - 1 mounting pole on E34) - although I could be corrected on this point.

I like these mirrors on my '89.
regards
Phil

Ariel525i
06-16-2006, 06:38 PM
...but my mistake was buying '95 mirrors of a car that had memory adjustment. The later style mirrors came out on '93 model cars and the motors were the 4 wire (or maybe 5 with heating) version.

The '95 model mirror motors had up to 9 wires and worked through a printed circuit board, they were also fixed to the mirror body with 3 screws set out in a triangular pattern and the plastic around the little motors is black. If you take the mirror glass off yours to look at the motor you should find it to be 2 little motors set in white plastic fixed to the mirror body with 4 screws set out in a square pattern.

My tip is to find mirrors off a '93-'94 model car with the same type of wire connector as yours (4 wire/white plastic motor mount). The mirrors will bolt straight on. They can also be disassembled so that you can get the mirror shell painted in your color.

Oh, and as far as I know the mirrors off an E36 3 Series look identical to the E34 ones, but they have a different mounting system where they are fixed to the door (2 mounting poles on E36 - 1 mounting pole on E34) - although I could be corrected on this point.

I like these mirrors on my '89.
regards
Phil

Phil,

Thanks a lot for the very useful information. Greatly appreciated.:)