PDA

View Full Version : Wiring Looms..

shuriken
06-16-2006, 12:50 AM
Ok after my last thread, out with 535 and in with 525 I got 68 views and no answers!:(
Basically I am stripping my 535i SE and would like to know if I can retro fit any of the electronic gizmos to the '92 525i? Are the conectors in place behind the dash etc? And even though the battery is more powerful on the 35 can I fit it the the 25 or will it blow the circuits?
So are the wiring looms the same?

Paul in NZ
06-16-2006, 12:56 AM
are you trying to upgrade your 525 to the 535 SE specs?.From what I have seen the basic wring looms are similar at least within model years,and most of the GIZMO's have there own sub loom if the accesory doesnt plug into the loom itself...there have been threads on fitting elec deats,heated sets foglights etc....

shogun
06-16-2006, 01:31 AM
69 viewers is nothing, you need one in the KNOW. Why do you not check the wiring diagrams on your own?
Here they are way down
http://www.e38.org/e34/
To do something like that you must be able to read wiring diagrams!

shuriken
06-16-2006, 03:32 AM
69 viewers is nothing, you need one in the KNOW. Why do you not check the wiring diagrams on your own?
Here they are way down
http://www.e38.org/e34/
To do something like that you must be able to read wiring diagrams!
Only thought that wiring diagrams were applicable to the car spec. If the wiring loom is a standard one and then hook the part you need to it, then thats all I need to know.

shuriken
06-16-2006, 03:36 AM
are you trying to upgrade your 525 to the 535 SE specs?.From what I have seen the basic wring looms are similar at least within model years,and most of the GIZMO's have there own sub loom if the accesory doesnt plug into the loom itself...there have been threads on fitting elec deats,heated sets foglights etc....
Basically yes. Want to use the interior lights, maybe the computer
(somethings may not work but can live with that), the control stalks behind the steering wheel( to call up the comp info) and maybe the dash?
I imagine that alot of the electrics would be there so as to retro fit some add ons?

Paul in NZ
06-16-2006, 04:15 AM
several peple have fitted the obc to non obc cars....if you are going to do this i think the only extra wiring you need is the temp sender from the bumper.Serch the forums for obc you will get a ton of stuff.I would expect the lighting wiring to all be there

shogun
06-16-2006, 04:44 AM
If you start such a project, you should at least know if the ECU's are the same. Are they? What about the engine main harness?
And now I come back to the point that I tell you to study the wiring harnesses of the various models. Are you sure that the main harness point (in my car X20 and X21 that go to the diagnosis box) have the same connectors in same place?
That takes hours to compare the wirinigs.

shuriken
06-16-2006, 04:52 AM
If you start such a project, you should at least know if the ECU's are the same. Are they? What about the engine main harness?
And now I come back to the point that I tell you to study the wiring harnesses of the various models. Are you sure that the main harness point (in my car X20 and X21 that go to the diagnosis box) have the same connectors in same place?
That takes hours to compare the wirinigs.
see your point, will be picking up the 525i in the next few days hopefully and will then get down to checking the two cars out. Thanks.

shuriken
06-16-2006, 04:53 AM
several peple have fitted the obc to non obc cars....if you are going to do this i think the only extra wiring you need is the temp sender from the bumper.Serch the forums for obc you will get a ton of stuff.I would expect the lighting wiring to all be there
Nice one, will take a look and start reading!.

bimmerd00d
06-16-2006, 05:50 AM
you'll need the engine wiring harness from the 525, it's a completely different motor. The rest of the car should be for the most part similar. The only thing i can think of taht's different is the instrument cluster, i'm not sure if the older ones with capacitors read the sensors differently.

shuriken
06-16-2006, 02:08 PM
you'll need the engine wiring harness from the 525, it's a completely different motor. The rest of the car should be for the most part similar. The only thing i can think of taht's different is the instrument cluster, i'm not sure if the older ones with capacitors read the sensors differently.
I shall start to investigate. Thank for the info guys.:)