PDA

View Full Version : Help with Auxilliary fan

Reckless_Kelly
06-15-2006, 08:38 AM
89 525i automatic, the Aux. Fan doesn't come on. I replaced the blown fuse and the new one blew right away. For sh!ts and giggles, I jumped the fuse (to see IF the fan turned), still no fan and the jumper wire got Real hot, Real fast (16ga). I need to find the plug for the fan to see IF it will spin (where is that d@mn plug?). I have a line on a fan from an e39 528i, will that fit and work if my fan is dead?

Also, I'm missing a relay in my relay box, second row (closest to the fender) far left (front of car). It uses the 5 prong style relay like the climate control relay. Could this be the problem with my fan?

Ross
06-15-2006, 08:45 AM
Sounds like a seized motor. Does it turn by hand?

Reckless_Kelly
06-15-2006, 09:03 AM
Sounds like a seized motor. Does it turn by hand?

It turns, but it's stiff and sounds like it's dragging somewhere against the mounting frame.

Ross
06-16-2006, 08:24 AM
Sounds like time to warm up the old checkbook. I paid 245.00 w/free shipping @ BMW parts direct.
A lot of the guys here have way more experience than me and may be able to suggest something other than the direct replacement. Wait 'till you see what the Bavarians want for this thing!

Bill R.
06-16-2006, 08:33 AM
high speeds, It always starts up on low speed, this resistor burns out and then it trys to start on high speed which draws a lot more amps and usually pops the fuse. Frequently you can lube up the motor and get it spinning freely and then replace the resistor so that low and high speed work.
Don Gale has a good write up on the Ballast resistor here (http://www.nmia.com/%7Edgnrg/page_20.htm)

89 525i automatic, the Aux. Fan doesn't come on. I replaced the blown fuse and the new one blew right away. For sh!ts and giggles, I jumped the fuse (to see IF the fan turned), still no fan and the jumper wire got Real hot, Real fast (16ga). I need to find the plug for the fan to see IF it will spin (where is that d@mn plug?). I have a line on a fan from an e39 528i, will that fit and work if my fan is dead?

Also, I'm missing a relay in my relay box, second row (closest to the fender) far left (front of car). It uses the 5 prong style relay like the climate control relay. Could this be the problem with my fan?

632 Regal
06-16-2006, 09:26 AM
another keeper :D
high speeds, It always starts up on low speed, this resistor burns out and then it trys to start on high speed which draws a lot more amps and usually pops the fuse. Frequently you can lube up the motor and get it spinning freely and then replace the resistor so that low and high speed work.
Don Gale has a good write up on the Ballast resistor here (http://www.nmia.com/%7Edgnrg/page_20.htm)