PDA

View Full Version : Useful tip: Manually unlocking fuel filler flap

Mas (UK)
06-15-2006, 02:21 AM
Recently been having a few problems with my remote not opening the doors and it happened again yesterday. I opened the drivers door manually with the key and about 60 miles away from home the fuel low light came on so I decided to stop for a fill-up. Then I found out that the fuel filler flap was also locked along with all the other doors and my remote still not working properly.

So I thought about whether these clever german engineers could have designed a manual work-around if such an electronic locked out situation ever occurred to the owner. I decided to open the boot with the key and take a look.

Inside the boot, if you remove the carpeted cover on the right hand side, you will see the jack and wheel choc. Now if you look down into the gap just behind where the choc is you will see the motor actuator for the fuel filler locking mechanism. Just put your hand in there and gently pull on the small bar which slides in and out to lock the flap and with your other hand you can now open the fuel flap manually.

Although my remote's giving me some minor headaches, I still had a little smile on my face about the clever engineering in these cars. It helped me to continue on my way home and I just thought to share this little tip with you all if you ever find yourselves in such a situation.

Happy driving,

Mas

JerseySi
06-15-2006, 03:37 AM
Useful to know :D

My last car went one better - was a Rover Sterling (Honda Legend with different badges)
Rover being Rover obviously knew all about dodgy electrics, and put a pull-cord with a little tag, through the boot liner/carpet, velcro'd to the side! When the solenoid to open the flap died (mine never worked the whole time i had the car), just pop the boot & pull the cord!

jbourke
06-15-2006, 04:34 AM
Inside the boot, if you remove the carpeted cover on the right hand side, you will see the jack and wheel choc. Now if you look down into the gap just behind where the choc is you will see the motor actuator for the fuel filler locking mechanism. Just put your hand in there and gently pull on the small bar which slides in and out to lock the flap and with your other hand you can now open the fuel flap manually.

I believe this procedure is mentioned in the owner's manual

shogun
06-15-2006, 06:04 AM
Yep, owners manual, in my E32 owners manual on page 4

READ the owners manual first ;-)

JerseySi
06-15-2006, 08:13 AM
Damn all you people that have cars with owners manuals :s lol

632 Regal
06-15-2006, 08:49 AM
you are seriously missing little secret functions of your car if you dont look through (study?) the manual.

Damn all you people that have cars with owners manuals :s lol