PDA

View Full Version : Igntion Coil Lifespan

ThoreauHD
06-14-2006, 10:05 PM
Howdy,

I have a non-alusil engine with 83K miles. It runs on synthetic mobil 1 oil. Spark plugs are new but I'm getting this odd feeling sometimes when it starts, like it is out of sync at ignition. What is the lifespan of ignition coils and which coils are best to get. I am using a conforti chip, which has more agressive timing. Bavauto has some sporty ignition coils, and of course there are the OE ones- but is there any difference or preference from you folks? Thank you.

632 Regal
06-15-2006, 07:15 AM
I think someone posted on this a couple weeks back, something about if you go with Bosch coils to use the Bosch plug boots and vice versa with the bremi coils. I am runing Bremi coils with Bosh boots so im all f__ked up. I need to replace the valve cover gaskets cause oil is getting in there and Im getting a slight miss at idle. Maybe you are filling with oil down there too?

Gearhead
06-15-2006, 07:58 AM
Yeah, Jeff's thinking of my thread. Bremi coils only with Bremi boots because of the higher 1.8kOhms resistors. Bosch with Bosch, Beru or Germany boots

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=22562

Gearhead
06-15-2006, 08:01 AM
Does anyone know if there's a bench test for our coils? Cold and hot Primary/Secondary resistance values, etc. I remember reading something recently about checking the housings for cracks and to make sure the liquid schmutz isn't leaking out of them. Just looking for something to track down a marginal coil.

Thanks!

John

ThoreauHD
06-15-2006, 12:27 PM
OK, so just match the brand with what you have. Or overhaul it with Bremi. Good deal.