PDA

View Full Version : Possible to remount your bumper yourself?

hakwuzhere
06-13-2006, 09:16 PM
So my front bumper is misaligned and its bugging me. Anyone realigned thiers by themselves?..... I have my bently.. but is there a good method to follow?

mzarifkar
06-13-2006, 09:21 PM
take off the "rubber strip" there will be a weird looking "phillips screw" about where sidemarkers would be, you c an adjust your bumper with those, never done it myself, i must admit

Alexlind123
06-13-2006, 09:24 PM
Anything is possible if you set your mind to it, m'boy.

Evan
06-13-2006, 09:26 PM
The bumper cover comes off easily.

The weird screw they're referring to needs a quarter turn to "release" from the buymper cover support.

Then you remove four 17mm nuts.. and off it slides...

Did you hit something? Maybe you bent a bumper shock.

mzarifkar
06-13-2006, 09:27 PM
thankfully my bumper does not need realignment, check engine light, thats what my mind is set to now!

John 535is (Sydney)
06-14-2006, 04:25 AM
I assume this is the front bar.
Take off the centre strip.
You have two large phillip head screws just in front of the wheel arch. (one each side).
Turn these 90 degrees and they should pop out about a 1/2 inch from memory.
The front has some bolts - pretty straight forward.
Unplug the fog lamps harness near the bottom of the radiator (one large connector)
Unplug the temp sensor (I just remove the sensor from the bar and let it hang on the wiring harness)
Then slide the whole cover forward about 4 inches so you dont scratch the bar on the bottom of the headlight surround area.
The actual hard bar component stays on the car. You are removing the plastic cover.
Check the slides near the wheel arch.
These are plastic, and tend to break if the bar has been nudged causing the whole assembly to sit a bit crooked.
These are available cheaply (even from the dealer) if you can't find them elsewhere.
Assembly is reverse, again do it slowly so you don't scratch the paint on the top of the cover under the headlight area.
If you unplug the temp sensor from the wiring, it can take up to 8 hours before it reads accurately again so don't worry if you get an alarm.

John 535is (yes - with a scratch on the bumper).