PDA

View Full Version : OT: I'm gettin it: Samsung HP-S4253 42" Plasma HDTV

Elekta
06-12-2006, 06:49 PM
I only have room for a 42 inch (14 inch deep cabinet x 42.5 wide). No one else is going to make my father's day, and I want to watch the world cup, f1, and the US Open golf.

This newer samsung is pretty sweet and it's definetely better than the previous model...5.6 billion colors...this kills lcds and I can't fit a dlp.

I think this beats the Panasonic in that it has PIP, PC capability, higher contrast and a couple other doodads.

Any reason why I shouldn't get this one? How much should I spend on warranty, $350? $500?

Sears has em for $2249
Amazon $2198 (there'd be no tax, but there'd be $200 plus in shipping)
Circuit city $2499

I think this is the best tv for just under $3k all in (tax, warranty, install) for the size requirements I have.

agree?

Scott H
06-12-2006, 07:00 PM
I hope you are going to be sending damn good video signals to it. Actually I shouldn't speak. I haven't seen this TV yet

Elekta
06-12-2006, 07:13 PM
I hope you are going to be sending damn good video signals to it. Actually I shouldn't speak. I haven't seen this TV yet

I don't have room for dlp, and side by side the lcd's just weren't cuttin it.

My built in has a 90" slit in the crown moulding for a drop down screen so eventually I will project HD on a screen for mondo size. But for now the tv cabinet can not hold a 46 or even 50inch panel and shut the doors, so it;s a 42 inch plasma.

I've been looking for about a month now and this is the best I can come up with.

Qube
06-12-2006, 07:15 PM
I hope you did your research and looked at it in store. I have Samsung R-4252 and absolutely hate it.

#1 has a VERY glossy screen, sensitive to any stray glare
#2 very little number of inputs*
#3 blacks leave much to be desired

*using a component switcher to fit Xbox, Xbox 360, Sony DVD changer, PS2, camera/video cam

Maybe they've improved significantly on the S-53 series :|

On comparison, I gave my parents a 61" NEC (HDTV) and 42" HP (EDTV) and even the HP looks better at 480p using the exact same source (they have same Sony Dream DVD system). I digress. Go compare them in store, very important!

EDIT: Reading a little more into your choice, it STILL only has two component inputs, but one more HDMI. They seem to have at least corrected the black issue somewhat. I still stand by the fact that the picture quality just isn't on par for the price.

Elekta
06-12-2006, 07:19 PM
I hope you did your research and looked at it in store. I have Samsung R-4252 and absolutely hate it.

#1 has a VERY glossy screen, sensitive to any stray glare
#2 very little number of inputs*
#3 blacks leave much to be desired

*using a component switcher to fit Xbox, Xbox 360, Sony DVD changer, PS2, camera/video cam

Maybe they've improved significantly on the S-53 series :|

On comparison, I gave my parents a 61" NEC (HDTV) and 42" HP (EDTV) and even the HP looks better at 480p using the exact same source (they have same Sony Dream DVD system). I digress. Go compare them in store, very important!

THis is the new Gen 5 screen. 5.6 billion colors, has a contrast feature to adjust to ambiant light and reflection issues. It was between this and the leading seller which is the panasonic, but the panny didn't have PIP, enough inputs and PC input. I've looked at them in Fry's Best Buy, Circuit City, Sears, and two home entertainment places. Side by side under the same lighting conditions is the only way to choose a tv I believe, then examine pdf tech sheets later on at home.
http://www.samsung.com/Products/TV/PlasmaTV/index.asp?viewPage=2

Scott H
06-12-2006, 07:23 PM
just make sure to feed it properly with digital cable or sat feed and a decent DVD player with a decent scaler like the Denon 1910, 2910, 3910, etc. this will ensure best picture and motion quality.

You could always get the DVDO iScan outboard scaler to process all signals to ensure the plasma monitor gets a consistently good signal and picture format, but that's another bit of coin to add to the total.

I don't have room for dlp, and side by side the lcd's just weren't cuttin it.

My built in has a 90"" in the crown moulding for a drop down screen so eventually I will project HD on a screen for mondo size. But for now the tv cabinet can not hold a 46 or even 50inch panel and shut the doors, so it;s a 42 inch plasma.

I've been looking for about a month now and this is the best I can come up with.

Qube
06-12-2006, 07:25 PM
THis is the new Gen 5 screen. 5.6 billion colors, has a contrast feature to adjust to ambiant light and reflection issues. It was between this and the leading seller which is the panasonic, but the panny didn't have PIP, enough inputs and PC input. I've looked at them in Fry's Best Buy, Circuit City, Sears, and two home entertainment places. Side by side under the same lighting conditions is the only way to choose a tv I believe, then examine pdf tech sheets later on at home.

The R-52 I have is 5th gen :|

Elekta
06-12-2006, 07:28 PM
I have a pioneer elite theatre system that I just replaced the dsp board in, so I should have no problem with signal clarity and consistency. THen Time Warner HD cable piped to the house.

Then if my friends builds me one, a custom BOXX (www.boxxtech.com) tower to be my server, but also have half a terabyte of storage, and some other goodies for HD

Can't wait for some new software to come out to replace WMPC2005

bbig119
06-12-2006, 07:53 PM
Save the risk and get your TV at a B&M store-- Circuit city is an excellent choice because of their 30 day no question return policy in case the TV isn't to your liking or has some defect that you'd rather not bother with warranty repair on. If you get a TV from an online retailer it's often several hundred dollars cheaper, but for something like this its worth the peace of mind that you won't be stuck with a POS or something you don't like as much as you did in the store next to a bunch of other crappy TVs.

PC compatability shouldn't be an issue as you can hook up a computer using any input...component, hmdi, dvi, and vga. Many people are of the opinion that using a digial output from a vid card(dvi now, HMDI in the coming months) yields a better/crisper picture than analog counterparts(VGA/component).

Also note, recording HD programs on a computer is a bit of a black hole right now. Make sure you research the topic before jumping into it. However there are several nice alternative 3rd party programs/front ends that work well as TIVO/movie/music/picture software.

For what its worth, I have a DLP tv and love it. I wanted something bigger than 42 inches and plasma was too expensive in the 50 inch range for me. I also wanted to feel confident that I wouldn't burn in the TV if I accidently left a fixed computer screen on it for a long time.

Martin in Bellevue
06-12-2006, 09:17 PM
Love the sony grand wega. Clarity & resolution are great, & can be set for viewing distances. There are 3 seperate lcd panels adding depth that other sets seem to lack.

digitaldragon03
06-12-2006, 09:30 PM
My friend just got that exact television to watch the World Cup on. I dont know if he has it set it up correctly, but the picture looks a little weird when things are moving around at high speed.

mamilapon
06-13-2006, 04:22 AM
I'd go LG rather than Samsung.

azale
06-13-2006, 06:49 AM
How much should I spend on warranty, $350? $500?
If you are serious about a warranty (and you should be when purchasing anything at that price), I would consider looking to purchase from Costco. I hear they basically have a no-questions-asked return policy for anything you buy there *for as long as you own it* if you keep renewing your membership (except computers which only have a 6 month warranty): $50/year to warranty all the electronics you buy there, and their prices aren't that bad either.

I checked online and they don't carry what you are looking for but you may be able to order it as they carry other Samsung Plasmas (63"). Sounds like you did your homework. Hope you are happy with your purchase.

snavemit
06-13-2006, 09:38 AM
I have this Panasonic

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=393132&is=REG&addedTroughType=search

It will only work for you if:
1) You were planning on using a home theater speaker system
2) You use a cable box

The picture is awesome and I did not have to pay for a tuner in it (which was not going to get used) or speakers.

It is essentially a very large monitor.

Anthony (M5 in Calgary)
06-13-2006, 10:15 AM
Side by side under the same lighting conditions is the only way to choose a tv I believe, then examine pdf tech sheets later on at home.

I've never seen a TV correctly calibrated in a store and very few in homes. Most stores have them set for "wow factor", especially plasma sets. A proper ISF calibration is well worth the cost.

http://www.isfcalibration.com/

DanDombrowski
06-13-2006, 10:42 AM
I bought a Toshiba 42HP95, which is a 42" plasma with the HDTV tuner built in.

I bought it because it had the best picture quality in the store, bar none. Then again, this was a year ago, so newer displays may be better.

I also got it with a $400 instant rebate, $400 mail in rebate, and a 10% coupon off from best buy, which brought the total down from $3k to about 1900. I was a little skeptical looking at a Toshiba when I've heard so much about Pioneer being the best plasma maker, but I havent had any complaints. I love the TV!

Scott H
06-13-2006, 10:55 AM
has left me completely confused. I had heard the same thing but was completely unimpressed with the way they were looking in the stores, especially when they were at 2x and 3x the cost of most others.....

I was a little skeptical looking at a Toshiba when I've heard so much about Pioneer being the best plasma maker......

misfortune
06-13-2006, 11:34 AM
has left me completely confused. I had heard the same thing but was completely unimpressed with the way they were looking in the stores, especially when they were at 2x and 3x the cost of most others.....
My friend has done all the research in the world and he bought this.
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/messageview.php?catid=18&threadid=620064&highlight_key=y&keyword1=sony

I dar you to find a flaw with that TV. that thing is completely awesome-O

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/messageview.php?catid=18&threadid=622611&highlight_key=y&keyword1=sxrd

This one too. I really love this TV. So amazing looking.