PDA

View Full Version : e34 cooling issues

dunelly
06-12-2006, 06:32 PM
While driving on I295, a beeping occured, the car told me it was overheating and coolant was low. I pull over asap, lift the hood and notice the cap fell off.
I change coolant the other day and might've not tighten it too tight. (my dumbass fault)
the cap was still under the hood, so we filled it up with water and started on our way again. After 30 seconds it was beeping and the same thing popped up, low coolant and hot. so after that we got it towed home via AAA. I guessed the coolant evaporated right after.

This was after 2 hours on the interstate at 4.5k RPM. Should putting more coolant solve this problem or should I be suspect of something else?

shogun
06-12-2006, 06:37 PM
First of all you should not fill in pure water but a coolant/water mixture or a ready made proper coolant. See instructions on the coolant bottles.
Then bleed the system and refill enought coolant. Overfilling is not possible, because it will go thru the overflow.
If the bleeding is done, check the fan clutch for proper operation as well as the T-stat.
Then see what is happening.

dunelly
06-12-2006, 06:41 PM
where is the bleed nut? I think I understand now.

shogun
06-12-2006, 06:50 PM
Well, first tell us which engine you have and then we can tell you.
Please complete your profile with such data, like 535iA (A for Automatic transmission), built year and month, etc.
Without such info it is difficult to help.
The exact production month and year you can find when you click on my page below and look for VIN decoder. There type in your last 7 digits and you will get the production date and the engine spec. such as in case of a 535 it would be the engine M30B35.

dunelly
06-12-2006, 07:21 PM
It is a 95 525i with a M50 B25 engine.
It is an automatic built in 10/95.
10.5 liters of coolant.

shogun
06-12-2006, 07:28 PM
If you click on the left top side User C/P you can add those data to your user profile once and it is always shown, so that you do not have to repeat that always. Thanks.

I do not have the detailed info for the 525 but you can use this one
http://www.nmia.com/~dgnrg/page_19.htm