PDA

View Full Version : R12 doesn't smell that good

granit_silber
06-12-2006, 06:22 PM
For about two weeks now I have heard a rythmic "chugging" coming from the engine bay. It started quietly and progressively got lounder. I noticed it most when the a/c was on, so I started using the windows instead. Then late last week I noticed that turning on the compressor quietied the noise and it quieted as the engine warmed up.

This morning on the way to work I started to smell a acrid smell and noticed that the back of my throat felt strange and I was getting a little light headed. I pushed the a/c button and the recycle button hoping the cabin filter would help. the smell got worse and I opened all the windows and the smell stayed so i thought it was soemthing in the air. That's when I noticed that the air coming out of the vents wasn't any cooler than the air outside.

I spoke with a guyat Mann Motorsports in Greensboro, NC and he's going to take a look at it on Friday. He said that a bad evaporator coil is the only thing that can vent the freon into the cabin.

what sucked most about this happening today is that we've had rain all day and I had to use the vents instead of the windows most of the day. Nothing like trying to cool off with hot, humid air. :(

anyway, no point. goodnight.

-ashley

winfred
06-12-2006, 07:03 PM
the oil is usually the funk you smell, a e34 evap is not hard to do, a little bit of a pain but not real hard

Jon K
06-12-2006, 07:23 PM
Yeah the oil smells real... odd.