PDA

View Full Version : Replace DME Relay and Fuel Pump Relay - not expensive.

JMI
06-12-2006, 03:55 PM
Have had 3 incidents of the "Trans Program" warning at about about 6 week intervals. I'm getting concerned and looking for remedies. Have change the trans filter and added new oil.

Can someone explain why doing this:

Replace DME Relay and Fuel Pump Relay - not expensive. (http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/trouble/TransProgram.asp)

will help?

I don't see the connection.:(

TIA

Jim

JMI
06-12-2006, 10:46 PM
Anybody?

BillionPa
06-13-2006, 04:50 PM
i think the DME relay controls a ground to the trans comp. (or maybe forward voltage)

a bad ground to the trans computer would cause the error.

if you havent replaced the fuel pump and ecu relay you should do it anyway.

JMI
06-13-2006, 09:58 PM
Its about $20 per relay so I'll do it. Just wanted to know why.

Thanks

JMI
06-21-2006, 05:29 PM
Had another "Trans Program" warning so ordered the relays. Like a sheep following the flock I replaced the 2 relays today :p . Hope that is the cure.
Still, I'd be interested to know definitely how/why these relays will help.

TIA

Jim

Bill R.
06-21-2006, 09:12 PM
Had another "Trans Program" warning so ordered the relays. Like a sheep following the flock I replaced the 2 relays today :p . Hope that is the cure.
Still, I'd be interested to know definitely how/why these relays will help.

TIA

Jim

JMI
06-22-2006, 09:09 AM
It won't be the cure.
Bill,
You have had experience with the "Trans Program" and the replacement of the relays?

JMI
07-02-2006, 01:28 PM
I made several threads/posts about my "Trans Program" with limp mode problem. Tried several "fixes" but bottom line is I changed out the Pulse Generator ($40 from stealer) in the transmission (remove pan and it is right there, very easiy job) and no more "Trans Program"!!!

BillionPa
07-02-2006, 07:58 PM
i was able to throw a trans program instantly today, by unplugging the shifter lock solenoid.

another place to look at before having a trans rebuild.