PDA

View Full Version : Weird oil pressure light

BMWfreak
03-29-2004, 06:09 PM
Yesterday i noticed that in my m20 525i, when I take right turn my "Oil Pressure" light comes on ?!?! When the car levels it comes off. Last time I checked oil level was some 3 weeks ago, but it didn't look like it is burning or loosing it. Since I don't really know when was the last oil change in this car I decided to take it to the dealer and have it done correct. When I called and asked what do they put in my type of engine they said regular Castrol oil. Here is my question, can I or can I not put a synthetic oil into my 173k miles engine. I could request them putting syntheic but I don't know what is in it right now ! Does it matter ??? Which one would serve my engine better ?
Thanks,
Dan

632 Regal
03-29-2004, 06:41 PM
Synthetic is the way to go no matter how many miles is on it. theres no worry about compatability with synthetic oils, put it in and drive on. I use mobil1 5w-30 and others use 0w-40 which I would also use but I cant locate any.

Jr ///M5
03-29-2004, 07:41 PM
Jeff,
I found the Mobil 1 -- 0w-40 at Advance Auto (kinda like Autozone) it was marked for "European" cars. Put it in the 318iS for the winter months, it made a big difference as the engine spins up quicker and the lifters didn't rattle like it did in the winter with Mobil 1 15w-50 during start up. Call around, I'm sure it's near you somewhere.

Funny BMW calls for the syn 15-50 year round, but this works much better for winter time. I do think the engine uses just a tad more oil when the thinner viscosities are used.

Jr

BMWfreak
03-30-2004, 03:25 PM
Thanks !
I want to make shure everything gets done properly and I don't have the facility to do it myself so I am taking my baby to the local BMW dealer. I am not sure they have Mobil 1 oils, but I'll ask. What I'll do for sure is request full synthetic bleed. Hopefully I will see the same improvement in engine performance as you guys did !!!!! :D
Dan