PDA

View Full Version : Alternator cooling?!?

TheEndIsNear
06-11-2006, 08:04 AM
So, I made the 300 mile drive to Portland and back to drop someone off... I made the drive straight there and back so about 4 hours of constant driving. On my way back up, in the last 100 miles at about 85-90 MPH, I hear a loud clunk under the hood and pull off the interstate. When I pull of I look and look for the source of the noise with no luck. I then take off again and all is well for about 50 miles. Then, I notice the display on my OBC keeps going slightly dim. So, I pull off again just to make sure I'm not loosing the belt on the alternator from holding all those RPMs for so long. When I go to check the it I realize that the tubing that I assume cools the alternator is MIA and that SOB is hotter than hell... At that point I was only about 45 minutes from home so I just finished the drive(my son was with me). My question is will that ducting not being there cause erratic charging, does it actually get that hot?

winfred
06-11-2006, 08:24 AM
it will not kill the alternator instantly if the duct falls off they do run rather warm but it still has plenty of air flow with it's internal/external fan (depending on model) and with high speed running the hot air doesn't really build up in the engine compartment like it does when sitting in traffic

TheEndIsNear
06-11-2006, 08:32 AM
That was my thought as well, I was just curious if the duct affected the alternator enough for my erratic charge or of I should be hooking up and checking the regulator? BTW, where does one fine this duct on a freakin Sunday? Guess I'll break out the duct tape till Monday... LOL

winfred
06-11-2006, 08:44 AM
the charging shouldn't be effected

TheEndIsNear
06-11-2006, 09:12 AM
Well, I guess I'm testing the alternator and voltage regulator today. BTW, I am very afraid, not to mention scarred for life!

shogun
06-11-2006, 09:20 AM
Check for the ground wires. Looks like one of the ground wires got lose or has a bad contact. This could be the flickering light.

TheEndIsNear
06-11-2006, 10:14 AM
Did that on the side of I5, all was good as far as I could see. Wasn't really a flicker but more just a slight dimming like the charge rate is dropping.