PDA

View Full Version : Long time since I posted, but just fixed a major

KeithW '91 535i
06-10-2006, 06:00 PM
problem that Ryan N. had/has also. My '91 535 had a problem in the electrical system where the problem was a compound symptom one. Without warning, the central locking system, power sunroof, power windows (all), would cease working right where they were, regardless of weather. Another symptom was the windshield wipers only had one speed, full fast and off. The illuminated window switch cluster would be fluttering/blinking fast and steadily.
Gradually got worse and worse (less intermittant) until all systems stopped. Lived with it for over a year. Took it to the dealer for diagnose. They kept it 2 days, gave me free rental car, and found the problem. Paid them $600 to shoot the problem. At $124 per hr I got a lot of time for two days work paid.
Turns out the jacka$$ that owned the car before (pick one)me had some alarm system wired into my harness and it shorted the fuse in the box every time. The BMW tech ran another ground wire thru the harness to fix it. Also had to buy a new General Module for $335. My spares and the one bought from Vines were all bad. The new from BMW works and all systems are now restored. A grand is a lot of money to me, but it's like getting a new car having all systems working. The car has been a smooth running clock for over a year now without problems.Playing catch-up in one swoop! This site has always been a huge help to me when I need to get some work done, the info is here. I promised a while ago to report the fix for this major PIA problem I had. Nice to be able to post it is fixed. It was over my head and I tried lots of things.

ThoreauHD
06-10-2006, 06:05 PM
Congratulations Keith. But.. if 1000 is alot for a car.. then .. where did you get all of the other one's in your sig. I can't afford all that :(. And I paid 5K in repairs... I must not know the right people.

That 740il Oxford green car sounds like a sweet ride... kinda wish I could swing one of those.

KeithW '91 535i
06-10-2006, 06:30 PM
Bought the 735il 11 years ago with 110K on it for $14k. Now is worth $2K and I put 142K miles on it.
Got married 4.5 years ago and we bought the 535i for her to drive. We are both Realtors. The 7 was getting a little dated, yet very well maintained by me, worth almost zip to the public. I figured I would keep her a while having been tested true and reliable. Put a trailer hitch on the back, now I can pull 3 Honda Trail 90s or appliances and furniture with it. The 7 has become part pick-up truck. Pulls nice and easy. Just bought the E38 7 series and it is a honey, former BMW CPO car. Dealer had just put new transmission in it 5K miles before i bought it. CPO paid for that.The 4.4 pulls that sled along pretty well, too. Bought it under wholesale trade-in Edmunds in Jan '06. No mechanical issues and nearly perfect in and out on delivery. Bought off Ebay.
Too much fun. A good experience, really!

ryan roopnarine
06-10-2006, 06:30 PM
wow keith. this may seem weird, but i was thinking of you and your problem two weeks ago. checked your profile, saw that you didn't check in for over a year, and assumed you sold the car b/c of the problem :( good that you got it fixed.

KeithW '91 535i
06-10-2006, 06:40 PM
Was so busy with work last year and the 5 was near perfect in the reliability department, the old 7, too. I had rebuilt so much of both cars I should get a break now and then! Now the E38 joins the family so there is a huge learning curve to get up to speed on those. And stuff is breaking around the house, and ,and....
I have thought from time and again that having a 17 yr old E32 252K and a 15 yr old E34 202K, now a 6 yr old E38 114K would keep me too busy working on them all the time? Lately, with the cost of fuel, they are not driven as much. But fortunately, I have not had a critical day where too much breaks at once. They are good cars.

Paul in NZ
06-10-2006, 07:25 PM
so the fix without the alarm problem would have been a new GM?

ThoreauHD
06-10-2006, 07:56 PM
Well, if you have kids they'll sure be happy on their 15 birthday. You have quite a nice collection.